Beach Hunting With Curious Spectators

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I went out beach hunting for the first time today. There were some swimmers, and sunbathers there, but nobody really talked to me. However, a young boy decided to tag along with me, with his mother yapping away on the phone 25 feet behind us. He was curious, and wanted to help find treasure. I was trying to be friendly, but after a while got a little annoyed, and walked to another part of the beach. I dont mind talking to people, but I really dont want anyone hanging around me when I start digging things up. The young ones seem the most curious. Are there any polite ways of being left alone?

~Audiz~

Nov 9, 2008
Rochester, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250...Garrett Pro-pointer... "The secret of vast riches begins with a single penny"
Jordan11983 said:
I went out beach hunting for the first time today. There were some swimmers, and sunbathers there, but nobody really talked to me. However, a young boy decided to tag along with me, with his mother yapping away on the phone 25 feet behind us. He was curious, and wanted to help find treasure. I was trying to be friendly, but after a while got a little annoyed, and walked to another part of the beach. I dont mind talking to people, but I really dont want anyone hanging around me when I start digging things up. The young ones seem the most curious. Are there any polite ways of being left alone?

I haven't had that experience yet (Thank Goodness). I heard from other people that they wear headphones to be able to hear the targets and also to ignore curious people, keep on hunting not responding because your unable to hear them.

Dirty WhiteBoy

Apr 21, 2009
Seminole, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX fine jewelery extraction device
Yep, I agree...headphones work wonders for that! Try night hunting sometime. If you like peace and quiet and solitude...night hunting works great for me! :thumbsup:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
I cant speak for the ladies but a tip for the guys.
Don't shave were a shirt with holes in it and if that don't
work talk to your self . And answer back . That will do the trick. :tongue3:

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus
eat a clove of garlic before detecting. that'll keep everyone away. :tongue3:

LD

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Tell the kid it costs $10.00 to help dig, $30.00 if he want's to listen to the headphones. Once he pays he can carry the scoop, or listen. After he bugs mom for a while for the money she will make him leave you alone.

If that doesn't work tell him your looking for a dead kid, about his age, that was cut up by an old guy and scattered on the beach.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I like kids and get along with them 'cause I'm just a big kid myself. In the parks around here I have had a few who want to tag along and help but when it gets bothersome I just tell them the truth, I need to concentrate on what I am doing and can't talk right now and they need to be quiet so I can hear. Kids hate it when you tell them they need to be quiet and not talk, after shushing them a couple times they lose interest.

HH Charlie

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
What a bunch of grouchy old curmudgeons, lol....I usually explain to the kids the science of how a metal detector works, and show them the junque I have dug. They usually wander off at that point. I guess since I have an eight year old of my own, I do not mind. I showed a kid the buffalo nickel I dug at that park, and he was just amazed. His mom asked how much a detector cost, and I shot a number out at her, and she took him off in a hurry.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Pull a baby carriage and put garbage in it ;D

Or.......... Wet your pants ;D

I got those ideas years ago from a young comedian some of you may remember......Steve Martin! He's a wild and crazy guy!

Tell them you are looking for land mines and other various unexploded ordinance, so watch your step!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
telll em your mommy says your not allowed to talk to strangers . ;D :icon_thumright:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I was once asked by a shady character in a park in a bad neighborhood "Whatchu doin?" I said I was with an InvestigationTeam looking into a crime that had been committed and the machine I was carrying shot electricity into the ground to read for weapons! He left me alone! I got the hell outta there too! ;D

HH,
Moon

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
I myself curse in the field doing my work MDing. Mostly i don't have people around.

Kid" " hey what you doin"

Myself" " nothing"

Kid" " ooh"

Kid " ' Are you digging treasure? "

Myself" " ofcaorse i Fing am What the F you think i was doing? "

Kid " " nothing"!

Myself" " wise A$$"

B

BIG61AL

Don't have much of a problem like that...I detect only on Mexican beaches [crowded] and the the only curious ones are the topless women who just stare at me....i try to be polite and keep a good distance away so as not to appear like a perv but they are always turning to face me no matter where i am .....sooo I get a good look at them regardless if I avoid them.
It's a little confusing....here are attractive ladies with their assets just hanging out and me the old guy with headphones and a sand scoop and I am the more interesting one? Weird!

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Did any of the Lady's come up to you and say.

Metal detectorest." " beep, beep. metal detectorest, pulles out the pinpointer sticks it in the hole.

Lady." ' hey i like how you stick the pinpointer in the hole like that"

Metal detectorest, clears his throat and pulls down the rim of his shirt'.

Lady" Yeah" bites the bottom of her lip" Hey you want to go somewere?'

Metal detectorest, " shore".

BIG61AL said:
Don't have much of a problem like that...I detect only on Mexican beaches [crowded] and the the only curious ones are the topless women who just stare at me....i try to be polite and keep a good distance away so as not to appear like a perv but they are always turning to face me no matter where i am .....sooo I get a good look at them regardless if I avoid them.
It's a little confusing....here are attractive ladies with their assets just hanging out and me the old guy with headphones and a sand scoop and I am the more interesting one? Weird!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear head phones and when you dig something up just put it in our pouch and don't look at them or say a word. Just keep busy on what you are doing and when you are done just walk to your car with the had phones still on....Matt

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG61AL said:

Maybe they're more interested in your package than your scoop or headphones. A very wise and worldly lady told me several years ago that women check out the landscape between the belt loops and the kneecaps. :dontknow: Now to the original question: The best time to hunt undisturbed would be the early morning right after the break of dawn or just before dark. Although, just before dark may not be doable for long, since many public beaches won't let people stay after a certain hour.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread