DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like that's what they made from all the unsold hulahoops in the '50s. Neet ad!

DCMatt

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool add :icon_sunny: Funny how the add points out no technical experience needed. How about tools to recover any potential finds in the rocks :D

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat, looks like P. T. Barnum in the photo.

I wonder what his battery pack was like.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wonder if i can hook that to my sovereign

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder how much he found with it. Looks like he is carring a car battery with it.....Matt

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
mlayers said:
wonder how much he found with it. Looks like he is carring a car battery with it.....Matt

Look at the photo on the top. He is leaning over the cliff with one hand working the coil. The other arm, only partially extended, is holding a box. This box presumably contains a meter, all the big fat heavy electronics of the time, and a possible car battery?

I wouldn't want to run into this guy in a dark alley. He's obviously related to the incredible Hulk.

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seamuss said:
Is anyone else getting ideas of manufacturing a model of this detector?

It would be cool to have a detector model attached to a lawnmover. Think about the possibilities: "Can I detect and move your property?" Also, it would ensure full coverage of area :laughing7:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
.....this ad I have seen before....all of it was not reprinted.......this picture is from around 1930 and actually predates the Gerald Fisher version of the metal detector! Fisher is credited with the first patented metal detector but their were/are versions that predate his detector....mainly they were hobby/home built machines.......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Joe, you're right: despite Fisher's advertisement that they are the first in metal detectors (or however they word it), they were not. There were other attempts and productions (however so humble) before them. There are even crude detectors that pre-date their own, in their own museum, when I visited it in the mid 1990s in Los Banos.

The more accurate claim is that Fisher is the oldest "still existing" company in metal detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread