Coil upgrade question

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Hi, all.................I have learned a bunch on this site and would like to hit up all the knowledable people here for a little more info. I have had my M6 for 13 months now and I have found plenty of clad, a little silver and a few rings. I am seriously thinking about upgrading coils. I hunt mostly parks and playgrounds, I just can't seem to ask for permission to hunt people's yards and I don't travel too far as I like to be home with my family for meals and such as the father of a young daughter. Excuses, excuses I know.............lol. I live in Maine, and don't think I have to deal very much with mineralized soil like I have read about in the west. I have only detected fresh water beaches, but definately would like do some saltwater beach someday while on vacation. I hunt for a couple to maybe 3 hours at a time, so weight wouldn't bother me that much. I am thinking that with a better, deeper coil, I could go back over the parks I have found 3 or 4 silver dimes at and add to my total. I am looking at the Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 and the Super 12 Search Coil on the White's site. Any info or opinions on these or other coils that would be compatible with the M6 would be much appreciated. Hope you all are finding plenty of goodies.

T.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
;D Hi This is Coin Finder, I Don't Have the ( M6) Detector, but with a larger coin it will go ( Deeper) , But you may still hit Pulltabs. But I think it is alot better with a Large one. I go to the Town beach found alot rings coin bullet :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
It is my opinion that if you have very little ground mineralization then either one would get you deeper. But, if you want a coil that would work in both heavy mineralization and not much mineralization, then the DD would be best. Also the 14 DD would give you a 14 inch pass on the ground each time where the round coil is only detecting in the center and doesn't cover as much ground as the 14 DD on each pass. The DD coil detects the entire length of the coil because of its design. You can read more about that at whites site or do a little research on the DD coils and you will find a drawing and explanation of how it works. Hope this helps. A little side note; the 14 or 12 inch coil are "big" and don't get around sidewalks and other obstacles very closely. The smaller 4X6 DD coil is good for trashy and close quarter hunting. Still has good depth. Something to think about.

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
leatherneck said:
It is my opinion that if you have very little ground mineralization then either one would get you deeper. But, if you want a coil that would work in both heavy mineralization and not much mineralization, then the DD would be best. Also the 14 DD would give you a 14 inch pass on the ground each time where the round coil is only detecting in the center and doesn't cover as much ground as the 14 DD on each pass. The DD coil detects the entire length of the coil because of its design. You can read more about that at whites site or do a little research on the DD coils and you will find a drawing and explanation of how it works. Hope this helps. A little side note; the 14 or 12 inch coil are "big" and don't get around sidewalks and other obstacles very closely. The smaller 4X6 DD coil is good for trashy and close quarter hunting. Still has good depth. Something to think about.

Thank you for the info, seems like sound advice. I will look into the 14 DD more closely. T.

OP
OP
tford62

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I called Kellyco today to ask for some advice and input on what coil to buy and spoke with Doris there and she steered me towards either the 10 X 12 or 15 X 12 Excelerator butterfly coils, anyone want to weigh in on that? I did read Bryce's review of the coils there and know he finds a ton of silver and respect his opinion. T.

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
I went to kellyco's web site and read up on them. They sound great. But, a few years ago I bought their 5" for my Garrett grand master hunter III and it didn't work well. Just alot of noise so I had to return it. Just be sure they have a good return policy if you need it. It could have been my detector. But those new butterfly coils do look interesting for the beach. Let us know what you decide and how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread