OK YOU IDIOTS - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!

Hutch

Nov 16, 2007
ND
Did the title get everyone's attention? I have to rant a little today. I found out over the weekend about an old 1920's dance hall. It turns out it was on property now owned by one of my cousins. "Cool," I think, "no problem getting in there to hunt." Well, when I called him to ask for persmission I found out that NO ONE gets to hunt the property. Why? Because he has caught people metal detecting the property not having not sought his permission at all. C'mon, when some of us do something STUPID like that it really does ruin it for us all. It is no different with failing to fill up a hole - how STUPID can you be? Whew, now I feel better.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Hutch, are you off the meds again? :wink:

Talk to the cousin and reason with them a bit. You may be able to get permission to hunt, and DEFINITELY offer to "share" all finds for display purposes.

Grip

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Chances are, those who did that weren't TN members. Hope not. Lighten up, just in case. We don't like yelling. :) :)

Regardless, family is different. Usually. But maybe not in your case. Some folks are hard-nosed. Good luck!

Noodle

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hutch said:
Did the title get everyone's attention? I have to rant a little today. I found out over the weekend about an old 1920's dance hall. It turns out it was on property now owned by one of my cousins. "Cool," I think, "no problem getting in there to hunt." Well, when I called him to ask for persmission I found out that NO ONE gets to hunt the property. Why? Because he has caught people metal detecting the property not having not sought his permission at all. C'mon, when some of us do something STUPID like that it really does ruin it for us all. It is no different with failing to fill up a hole - how STUPID can you be? Whew, now I feel better.
sorry ::)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The best way to discourage future detecting by uninvited folks would be to detect the crap out of the place and clean it out. Bring an extra detector for the cuz, and let him in on all the fun your having.

Good luck! HH

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell him that you are part of the family, and blood. Still says no, try and sleep with his sister. Or daughter. Or Aunt. Good luck.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"NO ONE" gets to hunt the property ?

just tell him your not "NO ONE"
Your his cousin.

& If he still says no... Disown him from
the Family :wink:

LaKASkill

Jun 2, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You have an extra Metal Detector? Offer to have him help and you guys can make a day of it. Buy a big ol' Pork Shoulder and some beer- drink, eat and be merry.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Cross him off your Christmas card list. ;D

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Sounds like your cousin sucks......Must not be a close cousin.

OP
OP
H

Hutch

Nov 16, 2007
ND
Thx for calming me down. My cousin isn't the problem. It is the people who metal detect without asking permission of landowners that are the problem. Doing that ruins it for others and that is a shame. Thx for the good suggestions in enlisting the cousin's help in searching the site. BTW, he isn't married so some of your suggestions won't work ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hutch said:
Thx for calming me down. My cousin isn't the problem. It is the people who metal detect without asking permission of landowners that are the problem. Doing that ruins it for others and that is a shame. Thx for the good suggestions in enlisting the cousin's help in searching the site. BTW, he isn't married so some of your suggestions won't work ;)

Sorry to Say it But I Disagree.

Being he is your Cousin He could Make an Exception
No matter who or how many he Threw Off.

But I Guess everyones attitude is Different.

I Do agree Those who Help themselves
Mess it up for alot of us Though.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You might respectfully remind him that dishonest people rarely call and ask permission, lol!

I've had a few people tell me no, and when I remind them using simple logic, they figure I'm OK and let me go ahead. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Worth a shot anyways.

I can see his side of it also- if another detectorist sees you out there, they might figure its OK and go on in without asking....

There are entirely too many places to detect out there without worrying about one place you can't detect. "The grass is always greener", etc.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Tough call ... Had permission to hunt an old cabin site from the owner of the land that had been a friend for over 50 years .
Had invited 2 folks from Tnet to hunt it with me in the next few weeks ...
We buried him yesterday . This put the whole deal into a 'cocked hat' as some of his heirs and I are not as good friends as he and I were .

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I know a surefire way to get him to agree. Since it is his property, tell him you will give him everything you find. Who would disagree with that?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Arizona Bob said:
I know a surefire way to get him to agree. Since it is his property, tell him you will give him everything you find. Who would disagree with that?

No, I think his cousin needs a beating. At the very least he deserves a pie in the face.

Yes, pie in the face and he'll never see the closed fist behind it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
plehbah said:
Arizona Bob said:

No, I think his cousin needs a beating. At the very least he deserves a pie in the face.

Yes, pie in the face and he'll never see the closed fist behind it.

Or the flamethrower in the other fist. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread