Ok..kinda like DP BOBs post about dumpster diving...eyeball finds while driving

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign,Ace 250,White's DFX, custom made waterproof detector
Ok..kinda like DP BOB's post about dumpster diving...eyeball finds while driving

Growing up my dad would spot stuff while driving all the time and stop to get it.I could never figure out how this man could spot something small like a socket driving 45mph but could see the big *ss car in front of him until I tensed up and said "dad...car!!" :o and then he would brake As a preteen and then teen it would embarrass me to no end.Now as I got older I have been doing it all the time...lol.

My finds have included various tools,a digital camera(broke from hitting the road),cell phones and money.I would like to hear about other peoples finds.

jlb783

Dec 1, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Outback
Re: Ok..kinda like DP BOB's post about dumpster diving...eyeball finds while driving

I found what I thought was a big fossil but it was just a concrete decorative thingy from someone's yard.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ok..kinda like DP BOB's post about dumpster diving...eyeball finds while driving

Thanks for the props

If you haven't viewed what "Dirtsearcher " is talking about here's the link.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,37167.0.html

I was about 16. Riding my bike about 3 miles from home. I see down the entrance ramp to the highway a tire and jack so I rode down there to investigate and I see a small tool box laying on the slope with tools scattered about. Put them all in the box.
They left the flat ( shredded tire ) the jack and the tools. I rode home carrying this 20 lbs of tool on a bicycle.. I still have many of those tools from over 30 years ago.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

I hope this thread keeps going. It's good. My fave finds have been fishing tackle & rods that have flown out of the boats while towing. I still have one of the rods! can't believe it didn't break!

Eddie08

Jul 23, 2008

Great thread, I'm always picking up stuff on the side of the road. Just last week I found a stainless steel fishing knife in the middle of Rt 1 in Daytona Beach. Had to do a U turn and run out in the middle of the highway to pick it up. Got a ball peen hammer last year and I always seem to be picking up lengths of chain. Drove by a life jacket that must of blown out of some one's boat this morning, didn't stop cause the wife was in the car but I wanted to. I had a job where I was driving up and down on I 95 a lot. I ended up with two of the long aluminum new car ramps that you see on the big trailers. Never could figure out what to do with them so I ended up scraping them for a few bucks. The best find so far was a trash pick of a cabinet makers vice. It was made by a company called Emmert and had a patent date of something like August 1891 on it. Here's a link about it http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm
I thought it was a furnace door sitting in the trash when I first drove by it.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I remember as a kid my dad would always go down to the city dump to target shoot a lot of times but also he would rip the bottom of couches and find all kinds of money. One time he tore into one and several morgan dollars and various silver coins fell out. Those times are long gone as places like that are no more. He also found a beautiful ivory walking stick with a gold handle.

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe

The best thing I have found was a 6 ft folding ladder. It was on the side of the road a little ways from my house. It sure was hard getting that thing back to the house on my Motorcycle!!!! Tim

OP
OP
D

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used

Rd2nowr said:
The best thing I have found was a 6 ft folding ladder. It was on the side of the road a little ways from my house. It sure was hard getting that thing back to the house on my Motorcycle!!!! Tim
LOL :icon_thumright:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was growing up my dad used to make me get out and pick up all the stuff he spotted too. He also used to drive around when they had "Bulk pickup" in front of everyones house. It was embarrassing when he would stop in front of one my friends house and make me get out and scavenge something. But those are the times you remember. I guess it brought out the treasure hunter in me. I remember the days when you could go to your local dump and rummage through everything. Those were the days. Rich.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyone find my Wood ramps with the aluminum attachments on both ends?

Lost them from the back of my truck... went back about 15 minutes after I noticed them gone...Well you guessed it they were picked up...
Cost me $43.00 for the new hardware.. Luckily I had the wood laying around....

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few years ago I found a rod tube, (fishing poles) on the side of the highway in a western state. Threw it in the back of my pickup and forgot about it for 3 days while driving home. Got home, started to unload the truck. It was then that I opened the rod holder, inside was the most beautiful, "Sage" 9' # 4 line flyrod I had ever seen. It's worth well over $500. We were now over 1,000 miles from where I had found it so I didn't make any effort to try to find the owner.

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

I found a complete fireplace,stack rocks grate and all , and an almost new trombone sans mouthpiece, a roll top desk ,a big truck tarp new, the truck company gave fifty bucks for returning it.and have picked up enough sod to do part of my yrd. plus shovels wernches lumber and stuff. wife calls me a junk snupper. Bob

OP
OP
D

dirtsearcher

Nov 18, 2008
Detector(s) used

These are all great finds!!Congratulations everyone.Lets keep this thread going... :thumbsup:

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF

When I was a kid....about 10 years old and living in Phx, Az I took some of my dads pennies in a plastic bag up to the bank to cash em in for some candy :dontknow: I brought the bag inside but the teller wouldn't change them in for me unless they were rolled. Bummed out, I leave the bank and get on my beaten up bicyle. I just got started peddling when the bag ripped and a bunch of pennies fall all over the sidewalk. Hot and upset, I hop off my bike to start picking them up and turn around to get the ones behind me when low and behold there is a 100.00 bill laying there.

I thought for sure it was fake. After all, I had never seen a 100.00 bill before. I stuffed it in my pocket and still picked up the rest of the pennies because I knew the were real and peddled my happy a$$ home as fast as I could. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

The right thing to do would have been to walk back into the bank and report it but I admit, I was real nervous. The second thing I could have done right was tell my dad I found it in front of the bank when I went to cash in the pennies I took from him but I completely forgot to mention those two things.
I did however end up with a shiny new Huffy Monoshock bicycle that summer :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Makton

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

makton said:
When I was a kid....about 10 years old and living in Phx, Az I took some of my dads pennies in a plastic bag up to the bank to cash em in for some candy :dontknow: I brought the bag inside but the teller wouldn't change them in for me unless they were rolled. Bummed out, I leave the bank and get on my beaten up bicyle. I just got started peddling when the bag ripped and a bunch of pennies fall all over the sidewalk. Hot and upset, I hop off my bike to start picking them up and turn around to get the ones behind me when low and behold there is a 100.00 bill laying there.

I thought for sure it was fake. After all, I had never seen a 100.00 bill before. I stuffed it in my pocket and still picked up the rest of the pennies because I knew the were real and peddled my happy a$$ home as fast as I could. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

The right thing to do would have been to walk back into the bank and report it but I admit, I was real nervous. The second thing I could have done right was tell my dad I found it in front of the bank when I went to cash in the pennies I took from him but I completely forgot to mention those two things.
I did however end up with a shiny new Huffy Monoshock bicycle that summer :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

Makton

That's the nice thing about being either very young or kinda old...You don't have to explain anything.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Today a $50.00 gas card... along the curb in front of my house....

Checked the balance on line....

Guess what was left on it......

$50.00...... Filled the Treasure Mobile with gas and still have some $16.50 left......

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

About 7 years ago we had this little 4-wheeler, I think it was an 80 and I would drive around in the corn field with my 2 year old picking up the golf balls my husband would hit out there. After a good rain I could see them well because it wasn't planted. We were putting along at a medium speed when I looked down and was sure I saw an arrowhead. Backed up and picked up the most perfect little birdpoint! It was the first tiny one I found, it's about the length of my thumbnail.
2 months ago we were all on the grizzly looking for shed antlers when I spotted one again. This time it was a big one and real pretty. It is beveled on opposite sides and about 4 inches long. Surprised my husband!

One of my dog grooming customers found a surprising treasure on the interstate. She saw a pet taxi and went back to get it because she was a volunteer for an animal shelter and they could use it. Inside was a hungry little chihuahua. If I ever see a pet taxi I will surely stop for it.

Apr 27, 2008
rhode island
Detector(s) used
titan 1000 xd
Re: Ok..kinda like DP BOB's post about dumpster diving...eyeball finds while dri

Sara77 said:
One of my dog grooming customers found a surprising treasure on the interstate. She saw a pet taxi and went back to get it because she was a volunteer for an animal shelter and they could use it. Inside was a hungry little chihuahua. If I ever see a pet taxi I will surely stop for it.
that poor dog. :(

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

When I was a teenager I found a girl alongside the road and uh, never mind.

Grey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread