A dream site came true!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
To make a long story as short as possible…………I scored permission to hunt a site I never would have thought possible. The owners are very strict about people being down along the river or the falls, there are posted signs EVERYWHERE! I took a hike through the woods looking for the old wagon rd. Cpt. Turner may have used back in 1676 when he slaughtered the Indians. You need to be a Mountain Goat in order to get from home base up over the ledges down to the area “before” the falls. I finally make it to the old rd. and several yards ahead is a Man doing some trimming. Now I am not sure where the property lines are so I head over to make sure I’m OK or take the beating I deserve.

He immediately gave me permission (without me asking) to do whatever I like down there! I think he was rather impressed that I hiked the hike to get there, had crushed beer cans in my pouch, and the look of adventure in my eyes. As he was walking away almost as an after thought he told me I may want to try the Old Mill about a mile down near the falls. Now I am pumped and don’t know where to start………………..I hit the old bridge for a wheat penny, the old rd. for a square cut nail (yeah! :D), the Old Mill for an old ID bracelet and a musket ball.

I really can’t wait to get back there! If only for the fact that you feel like you are in Fairy Tale land just being there. All your senses come to life, the smell of the Mt. Laurel, the sound of the water rushing over the rocks (you can almost hear the stories those falls could tell), the cool air and mist coming off the water, the feeling you are walking into the past entering the gate...............Come on along for the ride!

Attachments

• falls view from the top.JPG
    falls view from the top.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • falls lucky salamander.JPG
    falls lucky salamander.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 999
  • falls old rd.JPG
    falls old rd.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • falls river.JPG
    falls river.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • falls bridge.JPG
    falls bridge.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • falls laurel.JPG
    falls laurel.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • falls gate.JPG
    falls gate.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,000
  • falls falls.JPG
    falls falls.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 992
  • fallsbracelet ball.JPG
    fallsbracelet ball.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 996
  • falls bracelet.JPG
    falls bracelet.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 990
  • falls musket.JPG
    falls musket.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 991

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thanx for sharing your trip with us. the pix make me want to be there now! it looks so lush & cool. you really did a great job w/ the pix. good finds, hope they get better & better

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
thanx for sharing your trip with us. the pix make me want to be there now! it looks so lush & cool. you really did a great job w/ the pix. good finds, hope they get better & better

Mamabear took the words right out of my mouth. Looking forward to seeing what else you manage to find there. Good luck & happy hunting ~ be safe.

:wink: RR

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Funny Jeff, I dug that musket ball and thought it was a clay marble, the item left in the hole was an old pull tab so I stopped digging the nickle signals, since I was limited on time. :-\ I will be digging all signals from here on out. I bet even the iron is a find down there!

If it wasn't for all the rain we have had I'd be back there by now, gotta let the area dry out a bit to get rid of all those nasty little ticks. YUCK!

Folks it is a cool place to detect, I love it there, can't wait to get back!

The ID bracelet has a name I can't quite make out because of the scripted letters, dang! But I can make out the town which is across the river. I'm still trying to get the name so I can find out more about it. Wish me luck!

I'll make sure and let you know when I return!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Kim, I was wondering too about that musket ball. It seemed a strange color for lead. My 1st thought that it too was a marble. :icon_scratch:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful place good luck in your huntin :icon_thumleft:

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
What a cool place you've discovered CG. As for the bracelet,it looks like what was popular in the 1940;s called a "Keepsake Bracelet. I have one that looks like it and it is made of silver.Each link in mine has a word scribed on it, Cool find. Thanks for sharing.
Van

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
That ball looks very old way older than the civil war stuff you find. Cool pix of the fire colored newt. Reminds me of places I would see whild driving cross country always wanted to get out and walk around but folks wanted me there yesterday. Truly a place of beauty what a blessing to enjoy such scenery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread