Permission Forms

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While this might seem like a worth while endeavor, many land owners shy away from any legal forms even if it might benefit them. It is better to comb your hair and ask them in person stressing that you will not damage their property and will show them what you found. ::)

K

Kentucky Kache

Sandman said:
While this might seem like a worth while endevor, many land owners shy away from any legal forms even if it might benefit them. It is better to comb your hair and ask them in person stressing that you will not damage their property and will show them what you found. ::)

I agree with that. Legal forms make you look like you're trying to take something of importance out of their ground. There are times to use such forms, but for everyday detecting, it's not necessary.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sandman and kentucky are right. Afterall, what would YOU do if a total stranger comes to your door with a contract for you to sign? Doh! :hello:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a pad of permission and agreement forms for several years; haven't used any of them. If you have excellent reasons to believe there is a treasure trove on private land, then there MIGHT be a need for a hunt agreement in writing. I say "might" because if the owner of the land doesn't have a reputation for honesty, try to think of something else. Do not tell them ANYTHING about the trove. I'm of the old school taught by KVM. Keep your own council.

Sandman is right. Make yourself clean and presentable and politely ask for permission. And I'll suggest one more thing. If you get permission to hunt a property, ask AGAIN every once in a while to make sure the owner still gives his / her OK. I do this about every 6 months or so as a courtesy to the owner. A couple of owners asked why I was asking again and when I told them that I wanted to make sure I still had their OK and that I didn't want to "assume" anything; they both smiled and said that they appreciated the thought.

One of the properties I have permission to hunt is a house built during the founding of my hometown in the late 1800s. It is currently being used as professional offices. I NEVER hunt during business hours. I hunt only after business hours and on weekends as a courtesy to the business owner even though he probably wouldn't say anything. Again, COURTESY. It goes a very long way. That same owner has land in the country that includes the site of an OLD country store and I have his open invitation to hunt that site whenever I want to. As it so happens, my family lived in the old building when I was 3 or 4 years old (about 1950) and the store was there long before then. I did not know the owner before I went up to him and asked permission and I WAS a little nervous, but I'm sure glad I took the few minutes to talk with him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread