top tips for woodchip tot lots

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a couple of years searching wood chip tot lots I want to share a few observations with you all.

In the picture the red areas are normally where I would expect to find quite a few goodies then the green area being less productive the rest of the area can of course hold finds.

1. Go early morning or late at night avoids a lot of hassle from kids using the area.
2. Go after rain fall if possible seems to in crease depth.
3. Take a rake and clear the new wood chips to one side of course replacing and detecting.
4. The hard packed wood chips that are approximately 4 inches down hold quite a few finds this is why I use a rake.

5. turn down the sensitivity to as low as you can to go around the metal swings etc or use a smaller search head.

6. Use a squared grid search pattern.

7. If they is a tire on a chain search around it in a circle and of course under it.

Hope you find some of these tips useful

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 281

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Any hammered from the red areas?

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Haven t found any to date :laughing7: but normally I have a few cans next to swings does that count

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
metal mania said:
shaun7 said:
Haven t found any to date :laughing7: but normally I have a few cans next to swings does that count

Not really! Try getting some ariel shots of these tot lots and look for any obvious markings :icon_thumleft:

The hammered will be there somewhere!

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tip #8.if your around the swings an keep falsing, move the swing away from you an sweep again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread