I want a banner placement and a Nobel prize

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In what way, ever banner post I see are nice finds and worthy in my opinion.

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
I guess a subject like this is all very subjective.I found a 1894 quarter last year and didn't even post it let alone expect a banner placement.Granted,it wasn't as nice as the one currently in the banner but a 1894 quarter ? I could understand one 50 years earlier. Like I said it's all a manner of opinion,do you want nice finds making the banner or exceptional ones.To me it seems like it lessens finds that in my opinion really deservers to be there.Of course this is only my opinion,when you bring something like this up people start saying that your trying to force your will on others when your just stating your opinion which I am entitled to.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pa.Billy said:
I guess a subject like this is all very subjective.I found a 1894 quarter last year and didn't even post it let alone expect a banner placement.Granted,it wasn't as nice as the one currently in the banner but a 1894 quarter ? I could understand one 50 years earlier. Like I said it's all a manner of opinion,do you want nice finds making the banner or exceptional ones.To me it seems like it lessens finds that in my opinion really deservers to be there.Of course this is only my opinion,when you bring something like this up people start saying that your trying to force your will on others when your just stating your opinion which I am entitled to.

I don't feel your trying to force your will. If someone was campaining to get a find on the banner I would question if they were just looking for personal recognition rather then posting of a nice find.

It doesn't matter to me if I ever have one up there, for me it is just an easy way to see exceptional finds others have made, not a list of the best finds ever found. .......Just my opinion.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
There should be an entire banner complaint topic area. There are about ten threads a year dedicated to this.

In a month someone will complain that the only things in the banner are gold coins and diamond rings - and ask why the little guy can't get a break with a button or arrowhead finds...

(The Nobel comment was funny though, something for nothing!)

As an aside, I have turned the banner off and can't even see it anymore.

OP
OP
P

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
I certainly wasn't campaining for any find of mine. It just seems like in the last month the standard has been lowered. Before that I always thought it was about right as to what made the banner.I'm just pointing out what I see as a change.

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, it's like the seasons. Sometimes they're hot and sometimes they're cold, but you can be assured of one thing - they're always changing!

We could create an area to post when you feel it's getting a little cold outside!

I am honored though that our banner is being compared to the Nobel Peace Prize! ;D

Marc

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Maybe a banner should be judged by a jury of peers. That is, all members that care to vote, can vote. I've seen folks say in their posts, "I vote banner." Well, let it be that, if a threshhold percentage of folks responding to a particular post, like 90% or so, vote banner then it is a banner. If it doesn't reach the 90 percentile then, no banner.
This has undoubtedly been addressed before, but since I am a novice here I don't know about it.
For myself, I have no bone to pick, or dog in the fight, so do whatever. It looks about right to me.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I've read this topic somewhere before... :P

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and would like to see it remain challenging.

I'd like to see a great find make the banner, and a very good find maybe be marked somehow with honorable mention. Of course great vs very good would be up to the decider. :thumbsup:

Can we vote Shaun off? He is being a very noisy neighbor, they're drinking heavy and testing out Cru's pipe temper.

PS... I should also add... I think most that have made it in the last few weeks do deserve to be up there. Maybe a few I wouldn't have picked, but no big deal, it's just for fun anyway. Can you only imagine if there was cash prizes? :laughing9:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Iron Patch said:

I'd like to see a great find make the banner, and a very good find maybe be marked somehow with honorable mention. Of course great vs very good would be up to the decider. :thumbsup:

Can we vote Shaun off? He is being a very noisy neighbor, they're drinking heavy and testing out Cru's pipe temper.

PS... I should also add... I think most that have made it in the last few weeks do deserve to be up there. Maybe a few I wouldn't have picked, but no big deal, it's just for fun anyway. Can you only imagine if there was cash prizes? :laughing9:

Oh..I get it, this is a "There goes the neighbourhood" type thread :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:

Oh..I get it, this is a "There goes the neighbourhood" type thread :D

Yep, and the CS to my right is half snapped too. :D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I can honestly say that I have never seen an item on the banner that I wouldn't have been ecstatic to have found. I think it's great that we even have a banner on here, with as many items that are found and posted I have missed a few that I would never have seen if they hadn't been up there.

Charlie

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have to say ............something. :icon_scratch: I've had a few finds that could have been on the banner only to be beat by something......nice but fairly common.No big deal,I'm not out to impress anyone,just love to detect and learn some history and make some friends along the way. :thumbsup: I do think that the voting option is just there for show .......but is pretty much ignored by thouse that choose what goes on the banner.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Every week I anxiously look to see if any of my "noble" and worthy finds have made the banner...but alas...Noooooo.....it seems this forum is kind of prejudice against rust.......so I just turn green with envyclap for the winners and go dig some more

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
Every week I anxiously look to see if any of my "noble" and worthy finds have made the banner...but alas...Noooooo.....it seems this forum is kind of prejudice against rust.......so I just turn green with envyclap for the winners and go dig some more

Gypsy, I like your rust. :-*

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see wanting to make the banner but the Nobel? The Nobel just doesn't seem to mean much to me anymore. :(

I do like the new "awards" box under the avatars of those that have made the banner. :) However, you won't find it under my avatar. :'(

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all the banner finds are worthy. If nothin else it brings my attention to some finds I might not see otherwise. I liked the Nobel Prize reference, and hope every body else got it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread