genealogy research

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I've been trying to find some info on a person from the 1800s. I have a city, names and an approx. year of marriage. I signed up for a trial membership on ancestry.com BUT can't find SQUAT on when these 2 were "spliced."

There was a 2nd marriage in another state...I have all the info but, once again nothing pops up.

What am I doing wrong? OR is there a different on-line gene. site that's better or more effective?

Thanks

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Mackaydon said:
You might contact the Mormon (LDS) Church online, by phone or in person if one is near you.
They have the largest genealogy library in the world.

I guess it's worth a shot. Thanks!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Vibes...Do they do a ten year census in the U.S. Over here we do, and then you can pick up information on your computer, or ask for information at your local library.

U.

K

Kentucky Kache

Have you tried typing their names into Google search? You'd be surprised what you can sometimes come up with.
LDS might have the largest collection, but I've seen a LOT of bad info. from them. I'm not saying I wouldn't look at it, but I'd want to confirm anything I found.
Also, for a small fee you can get things looked up for you at libraries. Give them a call.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I've tried everything. I know that she was born in Ohio, married at age 13...she never gave her father's last name in her bio (didn't want to disgrace his name.) Gave her mother's maiden name. Also the man she married and the city with an approx. date. According to her bio her father served in the OVI, enlisted as a private at age 19. Now with all of that info you'd think I'd find something! But nope...not a dang thing.

I did do a search at the local library history section but I didn't have as much info then as I do now. But still shouldn't *something* come up at ancestry.com , cyndis list, or google???

I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm missing something, or just plain ole dumb.

K

Kentucky Kache

vibes said:
I've tried everything. I know that she was born in Ohio, married at age 13...she never gave her father's last name in her bio (didn't want to disgrace his name.) Gave her mother's maiden name. Also the man she married and the city with an approx. date. According to her bio her father served in the OVI, enlisted as a private at age 19. Now with all of that info you'd think I'd find something! But nope...not a dang thing.

I did do a search at the local library history section but I didn't have as much info then as I do now. But still shouldn't *something* come up at ancestry.com , cyndis list, or google???

I'm so frustrated and feel like I'm missing something, or just plain ole dumb.

You might have to try the state archives. Don't give up. Things have a way of turning up when you think all hope is lost.
A lot of things in the library are on microfilm only.

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
auferret said:
Send a pm to LadyDigger http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?action=profile;u=47833
She is very good at this type of research. Or, you could post some of the info here and we can all try to help you find what you need.

Thanks Auferret...I e-mailed a retired TV reporter who covered that area (he put me on a couple of fantastic bottles sites years ago) so maybe he'll come thru for me once again!

If I hit another brick wall...I'll send her a PM.

Again, Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread