found some old French books, could be valuable

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
About a month ago, as I was spackling the walls of my old house, I had an interesting experience.
The weather was fair so I had the front door open. Sadly the old gentleman across the street past away
recently and his two grown kids were working there cleaning up his place.
In Japan, there are about two days a month when folks put big trash outside and trucks come by to pick
it up. (I keep all my junk so I dont know much about it)
Anyway there was a pretty good size pile of furniture, boxes of company notebooks, magazines, photo albums etc.
As most of you could probably relate, I could not resist going over and having a look. There were two really old books, illustrated, French History books. About the time I got my hands on them, the daughter came out with another load. She was about late 50`s and NOT FRIENDLY. I just smiled and told her in Japanese that I was looking at the old books. I quickly turned tail and returned to my work.
Not more than 5 or 10 minutes later the junk truck came with it`s blaring music. Not unlike American ice cream trucks.
I cursed my bad luck and wished I had asked her for the books. I told myself to "let it go" and not dwell on what could have been. The junk truck was there for a while, maybe 20 minutes. I told myself that if he was just picking up the furniture etc. I would go there and grab those books.
I went out there as soon as he left and could not believe my luck. He had cleared out ALL the stuff EXCEPT those two books which he propped upright against the brick wall of the house. I could not believe it! I quickly snatched them up and hightailed it back across the street!
I finally got around to researching recently. All info that I have found is in French but one book listed for 150 Euros and the other for 250 or something like that. It converted to about 700 US dollars as I remember. The one book was published in 1900 the other in 1897 I think it was.
The color plates are amazing. They are HAND PAINTED (filled in with color). The bindings aren't great, but the books are in fairly good shape.
The 1900 book: Les Mots Historiques du Pays de France by Trogan
The 1897 book: Histoire de Bertrand du Guesclin by Theodore Cahu and illustrated by Paul de Semant
Can anyone point me in the right direction for researching or converting these into cash for my E-Trac fund I would greatly appreciate!
Thanks in advance!
dave

Attachments

• book 1.jpg
    book 1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 143
  • book 2.jpg
    book 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 147
  • illustration 1.jpg
    illustration 1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 144