hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that this is in the right place. If not, please move it.
I have been metal detecting for about 35 years. First 20 years was done some in the U.S., some out in places where I was
stationed. Always wore earphones in the U.S., to be able to hear the whisper of a deep coin.
But, for one whisper, I also heard many loud signals, and some almost unbearable. If you wear earphones, then you know what I'm talking about.
Now I am 65. For about 3 years I have had tinitus.....a ringing in the ears.....and it is getting worse. About 1/2 of the time,
when talking to any female, I have to ask her to repeat what she just said. Not quite that bad for a deeper male voice, but still have to ask for a second and third time repeat.
I don't know the answer to hearing the whispers of the deep coins....if there is a set of headphones that could be developed that would never give a "more than............decibil" signal, where one could still hear the faint signal. All I know is, the noises that I hear are constant......anytime that I am awake. And, that I have taken meds to try to heal the damage, but to no avail.
So, I hope that this post will prevent someone(s) from having to go through what I am going through. It is miserable on the good days, and some days it is more than miserable.....almost more than one can bear.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is your post is in the right section, the bad news is that I am unable to help you. Perhaps someone may have an answer for you. Good luck

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector Pro Black Widows have a volume control for each earpiece plus a limiter circuit that prevents a high decibel blow-out.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sunray Pro Gold headphones also have a Enhanced Limiter Circuit in them with an on/off switch (and dual volume controls) to keep the overload signals due to large targets or surface targets from blowing in my ears.
Sorry that your hearing has been degraded... that's really unfortunate. :-\

Bran <><

OP
OP
hikeinmts

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie P, godisnu1, thanks for the info. I live in S. Korea, but should be able to get ordering info to purchase one of the
two headphone sets mentioned. Have either of you two tried using cordless headsets? I bought one of those sets, and it
was great about loud noises......but the thing reprogrammed my metal detector so I couldn't use it without using the headset......
and then the headset broke!!! Had to throw that metal detector away. :( Live and learn.
godisnu1....just a note. I and my wife own a Christian ministry here in S. Korea. Teach English to Koreans.....but have a storytime where we teach Christian songs and Bible stories to the kids and adult. Have seen several make commitments to
your name.....God is number 1 for us, too.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Charlie P, godisnu1, thanks for the info. I live in S. Korea, but should be able to get ordering info to purchase one of the
two headphone sets mentioned. Have either of you two tried using cordless headsets? I bought one of those sets, and it
was great about loud noises......but the thing reprogrammed my metal detector so I couldn't use it without using the headset......
and then the headset broke!!! Had to throw that metal detector away. :( Live and learn.
godisnu1....just a note. I and my wife own a Christian ministry here in S. Korea. Teach English to Koreans.....but have a storytime where we teach Christian songs and Bible stories to the kids and adult. Have seen several make commitments to
your name.....God is number 1 for us, too.

I'm sure Charlie has used his headphones more than I've used mine. I just picked mine up at the beginning of this past year, but I absolutely love them! :) I have no used cordless headphones, though I've heard many others discussing them. The cord on mine really doesn't bother me much... plus I know that no pair of cordless headphones could come close to the functions found on my Sunray headphones. :wink:

That's really awesome about the ministry that you and your wife are doing over there!! I love hearing of ministries in other countries like that, since my heart is completely sold out for foreign missions... and I intend on being a missionary to island areas, whenever the Lord opens up the doors for me to do so. The Voice of the Martyrs emblem probably conveys my heart concerning missions better than anything I could say... taking Christ to the world. :) It's always great meeting a Brother... :thumbsup:

Bran <><

Attachments

• VOM.jpg
    VOM.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 244

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hikeinmts said:
two headphone sets mentioned. Have either of you two tried using cordless headsets? I bought one of those sets, and it was great about loud noises......but the thing reprogrammed my metal detector so I couldn't use it without using the headset...... and then the headset broke!!!

Have not tried cordless and have no plans to. My F75 doesn't even like me to have my cell phone on (it disrupts the detector when searching for a signal). I don't distrust technology; but I do have an aversion to excessive amounts.

My Minelab has no visual output so the headphones were the way to go. I use the BlackWidows almost exclusively with that one. With the F75 I like my single earpiece Rattler (DetectorPro) that allow me to hear what is going on around me . . . and are also a lot cooler on hot, sunny days. The BlackWidows put you in audio isolation. I have had people taliking to me and until I see their shoes I have no idea they are there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread