Old Yale safe - ideas on age & how to open

OldOwl

Greenie
May 29, 2008
Re: Old Yale safe - ideas on age & how to open

liftloop said:
Beleave it or not I heard on some safe you flip it up side down and pound out the bottom.So give that a try.

I was going to say flip it over and see if the combo is written on the bottom, like the one I was helping my buddy move from his dad's house when he died.

another friend of mine... his mom works at a local church where they found a forgotten about safe in the building. They hired a lock smith to open it, and there was only ONE thing in it. A scrap of paper with the combination written on it. Relly... I'm not kidding. :laughing7:

B

BIG61AL

as long as you don't mind destroying the safe, here's an simple but laborious method you can do yourself. If the the safe is cored with cement it won't be too hard. Grind the sides near the edge down to the cement. Keep grinding on two sides until you have enough outer steel to peel back to exposed the cement core. Now that peel may be real hard but it can be done. or you grind the entire side off. There may be posts connecting the outer and inner steel. jack hammer the cement and grind the inner steel to get access. most shelves or drawers inside are of usually much thinner steel. It may be really difficult but it is possible. Much luck and I hope you find a huge friggin treasure!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can drill and punch it which doesn't leave much of a mark or you maybe can peel it, which destroys it. You got it and it's not going anywhere, so it would be worth it to take your time and see if you can come up with a combination. (That safecracking thing with the stethescope isn't all it's made up to be in the movies, either.)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the stethoscope only works with "pin drop" type safes .

O

Old Silver

Had I been the original owner, I probably would have written down the combonation, but in some type of code. If I were you, I would look for anything that might represent combo numbers in code. Just a thought.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

My 2 cents worth, LOOK UP If the basement wasn't finished at the time, or still isn't try looking for large loose Knots in the beams possibly hid the combo in a hole and put a modified Knot back in!!! also check cracks in beams especially look near the walls. Great hunting hope you find it Chug

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

liftloop said:
talk to an in mate at your local prison who seving time as a safe cracker.
I think thats a dying profession, not too many real safecrackers out there. :laughing7:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Plasma cutters don't produce a lot of heat like a torch! Might pop a small hole with one through the back.

ESC

Oct 12, 2006
Arizona

If it were me, I would be out there with my grinder and a stack of cut-off wheels.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

ESC said:
If it were me, I would be out there with my grinder and a stack of cut-off wheels.

Me as well, (and some eye protection)
Probably have the bottom out of that thing in a couple hours.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Any updates on this??

Just for information some safes were secondary protected with other materials including but not limited to ; explosives, chemicals that mix if tubes broke, etc. A safe cracker would use a bore scope after drilling holes in certain location to be sure this was not done. It also allowed the safe cracker to see which mechanism was used in the lock.
After the lock system is known a hole can be drilled to view the line up of the plates so it can be opened. If done correctly then the holes can all be filled back in, and the safe still be used.

jeffmrgan

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
explorer se /whites xlt

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

UPDATE - He drilled several holes in the back, using the borescope one compartment has another steel box in it. Another compartment had a felt pad on the floor, another area there is a paper sack, but was unable to determine if anything was in it. They plan on hauling it out of the basement and peeling the back off. I'll post what he finds after taking an air chisel to the back.

ESC

Oct 12, 2006
Arizona

Thanks for the update. Hope your friend finds something good!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gotta love a paper sack! 8) Can't wait for the update. Good luck. :thumbsup:

GroundS.KeepeR

Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

Well here is the final update......
He had a local tow comapany help drag it up the stairs out of the basement. They moved it out into the storage shed and he commenced to rip and peel the back. The sack was empty and there was a iron bar inside, other than that nothing at all.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

dang pity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread