lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Old Yale safe - ideas on age & how to open

How was the bottum fassend.

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

liftloop said:
How was the bottum fassend.

Looked like it was factory welded. Interesting in the construction though.
The sides are form bent and at the bottom welded. the back was bent and formed into a lip that fit a groove bent in the sides at the back (which would have made getting a pry bar impossible). The interior wall was also fit the same as the outside. The concrete mix had a chicken wire and series of 1/6 rods throughout for strength and support.

After all was done he had a local scrap iron dealer pickup the safe.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally, if it did have anything good in it, I wouldn't have told anyway! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
eagle77

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70

diggummup said:
Personally, if it did have anything good in it, I wouldn't have told anyway! :thumbsup:

I wasn't there when he tore into it, so who knows, that's all he said

safecrac

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect. You should not give advice if you don't know the subject.

--a old stethoscope could be the ticket * SPIN THE WHEEL AROUND TWICE STOPPING AT "0"" (TO SET THE ACTION )--THEN WITH THE STETHOSCOPE IN PLACE --TURN IT TO THE RIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR A FAINT "CLICK"--STOP!! -- (ITS THE PIN DROPPING INTO PLACE )-- THEN TURN IT TO THE LEFT VERY SLOWLY -- UNTIL YOU HEAR THE SECOND PIN "DROP" --CLICK ---STOP --THE GO RIGHT TO THE THIRD PIN "DROPS" STOP --TURN THE HANDLES THEY SHOULD TURN-- SWING THE UNLOCKED DOOR OPEN

What you have said here about opening this safe is gobelty gook. You have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing you have said here is correct in any way. What should be done is to hire a expert safe technician to open the safe properly. A layman is not capable of the task with out proper training.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you have said here about opening this safe is gobelty gook. You have no idea what you're talking about. Nothing you have said here is correct in any way. What should be done is to hire a expert safe technician to open the safe properly. A layman is not capable of the task with out proper training.

Only four years too late. Darn!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just wasted three minutes of my life reading a thread that was four years old.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wasted three minutes of my life reading a thread that was four years old.

LOL!! You just joined the "A Day Late and a Dollar Short" Club which many of us on TNnet belong to. I could not count how many old Threads I have read and responded to with a post only to be told later. I am sure that it will happen to me again and again.

Frank

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since we brought it back up, I've gone through the bottom of 2 class B safes, taking the back of the doors off to get the combo.

The 2 I did had the wheels welded to a frame/plate that was bolted to the bottom. I unbolted it, exposing the insulation, removed that, cut a hole in the sheet metal floor, and that was it.

One had a small safe inside the big one, and some rolls of pennies had fallen in behind it. I thought I hit the jackpot when rolled coins started spilling out, but it didn't amount to much.

Once I got the combos by taking the back of the doors off, I bolted the wheel-plate back on, and poured a concrete floor in the bottom.

safecrac

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since we brought it back up, I've gone through the bottom of 2 class B safes, taking the back of the doors off to get the combo.

The 2 I did had the wheels welded to a frame/plate that was bolted to the bottom. I unbolted it, exposing the insulation, removed that, cut a hole in the sheet metal floor, and that was it.

One had a small safe inside the big one, and some rolls of pennies had fallen in behind it. I thought I hit the jackpot when rolled coins started spilling out, but it didn't amount to much.

Once I got the combos by taking the back of the doors off, I bolted the wheel-plate back on, and poured a concrete floor in the bottom.

I commend you, you are very inventive. Some antique safe have this vulnerability but most don't. I know the original posts were four years old, I just thought members would like to know from a safecracker that most of the advice was either incorrect or would result in the destruction of a nice old safe. Personally I love opening the antiques, they are a piece of history. Most are much better made than alot of contemporary safes. Anyway, I just thought I'd add my two cents on the subject.

RS in Atlanta

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, we'll never know if this guy got the safe open or what was in it? It's like the last page being torn out of a mystery novel.... grumble!

John

safecrac

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old safes

i know nothing about old yale safes,or any safes, i looked at some imgs, see links
i dont know if the Op safe is like these, i didnt see a img posted of it
Q, what is stopping someone from popping the pin, on the hinges of these safes

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Locksmithing-3110/2008/09/SafeFront.jpg
http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2011/380335182561.jpg
http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Antique-Safes-3774/2010/04/Safe_92.jpg

Most all safes both old and new have what we call a dead bar or bolts that, when you close the door, protrude into the hinge side jamb of the safe, effectively locking the door into the body of the safe. So, you can completely cut the hinges off a safe and the door still won't open. I tell my customers: If you could just cut the hinges off and get in it wouldn't be a safe would it??? :-)

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again old thread BUT reminded me of my days in the 80's working part time at a rural auction house . The owner had found 2 identicial old safes , Both had the combination ----- He auctioned the first off telling the people at the auction , he had the combination , It went for $150.00 , No real auction , People said it was to heavy to move, Couldn't lift it and on and on.
About 4 months later he auctioned the second one , but locked it ! The response was it sold for $700.00 !
His comment after the auction was " an open safe is just a safe ------ a locked safe is The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of "
The guy was a master of Selling the story at auctions !

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are machines currently in use by locksmiths, that will sequentially try every numeric combination starting with the statistically more likely, until the combination is found (and recorded by the machine).

Surprisingly, this doesn't take as long as you might think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread