Moved into new House Dirt Basement help...

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure. I helped a friend dig out a basement crawlspace to expand his stand-up basement and we fould all kinds of stuff. Porcelin dolls, bottles, jars, horse tack (and horse and cow bones), tools, a few coins (IHC & Barbers).

The house I grew up in was built in 1822 and I would love to go back there and have a poke around.

Don't let the Radon get you. :wink:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the age of the house - there could very well be things under there. (from even before the house, actually).

Please - be careful - I lost a dear friend who was digging under his house to make a basement. Part of the house collapsed on him. Ten minutes it took someone to get a big enough jack was ten minutes too long.

B

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
'Do you guys think its a waste of time or do people actually find good stuff in old basement dirt floors? thanks!!"

I've heard of people even digging up some bones. ;D
You might overturn some ghosts!

Just kidding
Just sift some dirt in a screen
I make my own by taking an old wood window frame and applying some screen bought from the local hardware store. Lay the screen flat on the window frame and apply wooden "strips" with wood screws over the top along the edges. I use wood screws because it makes it much easier to change the screens when the wear out. And they will.
Then trim your screen with tin snips. Then tap the ends where you cut with a hammer or somerthing to prevent cuts from the tag ends of the screen.
Open some windows and use a dust mask! Or you'll be blowing dirt boogers for a week.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread