When Family Heritage Is Lost Forever

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was growing up my mom and dad would sometimes take us six kids to her sisters plantation home for parties and funerals and such. It was a huge old house, on lots of acres, with a pond out in one of the fields. We use to fish with cane poles and grasshoppers for bait.

We'd heard stories of slaves that were buried in the fields and on occasion, Uncle George would unearth a human bone with his plow. We never saw them, we were kids but the tales always left us wide-eyed and we always kept our eyes to the dirt as we walked to the fishin' hole.

The side entrance of the old house was now used as the front but the actual front of the home still had that classic mid 1800's plantation look. It sat up high on a hill with a gravel driveway that had to be a quarter mile long. I'm not sure what the style of home it is. In that side yard, under a grove of trees there are several headstones.

Fast forward to now. I'd been itching to get out there to detect. I had lost contact with much of my family on my moms side because of her passing, the military, living out of state, divorce...the same cats in the cradle excuses we all have for not staying in touch.

It wasn't easy but I got up my nerve and headed out there. As I drove up the long driveway I was taken aback at how much it had changed. The barn and shed, (once the slave quarters) were gone. The house had changed from bright white to a dried mustard yellow color. There were wagons and tricycles in the yard. A large heavy set guy with long black curly hair answered the door with a young boy about five years old behind him and an equally large black curly haired dog.
I asked if this was still the (uncles last name here) residence to which he answered no, he is the renter.

I told him who I was, told him a bit of the history of the place and would he mind if I swung a detector along the driveway and in the side yards. I also discussed the treasure hunters code of ethics and assured him that the cemetery would remain un-touched. He had no problem with it but I needed to clear it with the owner first. Apparently the property was sold to a local attorney who owned the farm just down the hill.

I drove over there, no one answered the door so I went back to the plantation home where Dave the renter gave me the owners number. I called the gentleman on the phone while I sat in my car. I explained everything again and I really thought I was about to get permission when the old guy told me that he had to plow a lot of stuff over when he bought the place from my uncle and would rather I found another place to detect.

I politely thanked him and drove back home dejected and in a state of mourning for the loss of my uncle and a magnificent estate.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for Southern hospitality on that lawyers decision, especially with your family roots and ties there. From you what described, it sounded like a beautiful homestead. At least you gave it a try, sorry it didn't work out for you.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I feel your pain. Three years ago, one one my 'ancestral' properties ( a 120 acre farm that had been in the family since being homesteaded in 1848 ) was sold out from under me......

My grandmother, the last family member to live there, had recently passed away and a number of us descendants spent the better part of 3 months cleaning the place up, organizing all of the misc items there for appraisal and distribution among her offspring and / or sale.

While the executor and I agreeably discussed terms and the process of my selling my property in order to purchase this one from the heirs, he was also making arrangements with another land owner in the area to sell it to him. As soon as all of the property's contents were dispersed / sold, the deal was struck and closed with the other landowner with not a single word to me.

I was nothing short of stunned. The heirs that did care to respond to my outrage essentially stated that there was "nothing preventing me from coming up with the monies to outbid the other buyer"

Zero concern whatsoever for keeping the property in the family - just get me my cut and do it quick.

156 years of family history flushed down the drain.

Diggem'

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggemall said:
I was nothing short of stunned. The heirs that did care to respond to my outrage essentially stated that there was "nothing preventing me from coming up with the monies to outbid the other buyer"

Zero concern whatsoever for keeping the property in the family - just get me my cut and do it quick.

156 years of family history flushed down the drain.

Diggem'

That is also sad, seems like everyone is chasing the almighty dollar.

B

BigDan

A couple of sad tales

I was thinking about that today. I am apparently a misserable excuse for a treasure hunter, as I haven't even found a wheat penny in all my tries since taking up the hobby again this year. But I'm six for six in getting permission.

I guess I could have it alot worse. I hope you guys have a good streak of yes's coming your way.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
You know Keyser Soze?

As in, My family has been Keyser Sozed?
I do now.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread