Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found an old church (150 years old) that I have gained permission to hunt. The problem is that there is an awful lot of trash (mostly really old nails and bottle tops). Am I wasting my time? The only thing I've found so far is some clad and a few wheaties. I realize the property has probably been hunted before, I guess I am stuborn as can be.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted with a few folks around Chicago that thrive on sites with heavy trash. . . and do very well.
They will hunt a 30'x30' area and sweep it in three different directions and somehow, will end up
with at least one or two old silvers. Their logic being that most hunters will move on to cleaner areas
after 30-minutes of frustration.

If you have a smaller than "stock" coil for your detector, you may want to try that to separate your targets
more effectively if they aren't running too deep.

From what you said about your site, (nails, bottle-caps, etc), there has been activity. If this is in a rural
area, "church" afforded one of the few times folks could readily get together socially in significant numbers
for picnics and other church-related events.

When it come to metal detecting, patience (or stubborness as you say :)) can be one of your best assets.

Good luck!

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Seriously though, you have to read ANYTHING about how VLF detectors work. You'll either have to use the "sniper" coil and deal with the significant associated depth loss OR get a detector that is able to use a DD coil. I'm not a huge fan of Fisher's detectors, but at least they put a DD coil capable of 5 - 6" on their beginner's model. I have no idea why anyone would buy the ace if they understand how detectors work, especially if they want to hunt difficult sites where you might actually find something others walked over. Doesnt the 250 have 12 TID steps and one of those is iron? The F2 has 99 and a DD coil. How could that not be a better choice in trash?

I swung an F4 for a while and it made my 250 look like a toy, then when I moved on to higher end models, I realized my F4 was just a more expensive toy.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the first month I had my Ace 250 I paid for my "lowly" Ace 250
with several 14kt and 18kt rings and necklaces I found while out
detecting parks.
Plus I have found well over 50 silver coins and the best was a 1889
New Orleans mint Morgan dollar, so before putting the Ace 250 down
because it only has 12 tid steps, let me tell you the Ace 250 will go
deep and find coins at 8 to 10 inches, easily !

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heavy trash means heavy use. If the essence of detecting is going where people gather, then trash means "good spot". You're not the only one who has detected that spot but you will be the one who spends enough time to pick up the trash AND the things hidden underneath! If the area you wish to detect is a place you will be coming back to several times, you must CLEAN THEN GLEAN the rewards of your time. TTC

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
let me tell you the Ace 250 will go
deep and find coins at 8 to 10 inches, easily

A lot of people have hunted with it Allen. Why would they ever put it down if it was getting 10" on tough to find coins? Everyone didn't KNOW the machine? Really? 10" on a half dollar in an air test maybe ... but 8-10 on "coins".... not a realistic statement.

Anytime you want to hunt and compare signals, come on up to Indianapolis and I'll show you around. That's a serious invite.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
Anytime you want to hunt and compare signals, come on up to Indianapolis and I'll show you around. That's a serious invite.

I second this. I will even follow you around and dig coins that your machine missed. We can even videotape me digging these signals that you walked over.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know my machine well and I know she can go deep, and im only using the factory coil !!
The Morgan was at 6 inches, the coin I found at ten inches was my seated dime I found.
Sometimes its not the machine, it is the Man using it !
You boys can brag all you want about your high priced machines and I'll keep finding the
good coins I find with my Ace 250 !!
Now to the trashy site deal, if a person knows their machine like I do, they can sort out
thje trash from the goodies, 99% of the time !
Have a great day boys !!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
I know my machine well and I know she can go deep, and im only using the factory coil !!
The Morgan was at 6 inches, the coin I found at ten inches was my seated dime I found.
Sometimes its not the machine, it is the Man using it !
You boys can brag all you want about your high priced machines and I'll keep finding the
good coins I find with my Ace 250 !!
Now to the trashy site deal, if a person knows their machine like I do, they can sort out
thje trash from the goodies, 99% of the time !
Have a great day boys !!

So what you are saying is that you are terrified of our challenge. You know you won't stand a chance.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Sometimes its not the machine, it is the Man using it

That's silly talk. You can't air test a silver dime at 10" and you expect us to think you willed the machine to detect it IN the ground? Did you tape a wish note to the pole like a dowser?

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what you are saying is that you are terrified of our challenge. You know you won't stand a chance.
Thank you for the laugh, I really needed it.

That's silly talk. You can't air test a silver dime at 10" and you expect us to think you willed the machine to detect it IN the ground? Did you tape a wish note to the pole like a dowser?
Either im good, lucky or like i said, I know my machine well.
What is your best find, a zincoln ?

Have a great day boys.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
I took my Ace 250 out to the test bed in case I had forgotten what it can do (geez it's been over 3 years). At maximum sensitivity it was chatty but I could not hear my 7" quarter no matter how fast I swung. I COULD hear my 6" dime but I had to swing really fast. To stop the chatter and hunt in more realistic conditions, I backed off the sensitivity one notch. I could not hear the 6" dime at that point. This is in mild mid-western soil.

My son and I decided to do a video since he has ALSO hunted with it (I won't tell you his opinion since it's NSFW). In the air test video, we're at one notch below maximum sensitivity, which is how you have to hunt in most conditions. With the coil sitting at at 11" on the ruler, we test a silver half, a silver quarter, and a silver dime. If you swing like crazy you can squeeze another half inch in, but my test showed (with a normal swing), 8.5" on a half, 8" on a quarter, and 7" on a dime. This thing air tests better than in the ground, which is what you'd expect.

The only "luck" you could be having is if you hit a target at 6" and 4" below it was your Seated Liberty. It just won't hit a Seated Liberty Dime at 10". Yet another example of a dude claiming his 5.5" is actually 9" :laughing7:

Don't make me do recovery tests! It really gets bad then. :laughing7:

[youtube=425,350]UX1CYI-3u0o[/youtube]

No matter how well you know your Chevy Chevette, it won't go 190 mph!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
Either im good, lucky or like i said, I know my machine well.
What is your best find, a zincoln ?

Have a great day boys.

Still afraid I see. You can't back up your 'talk' with any kind of proof. We live reasonably close to each other, so it's not out of line to meet up.

And yes, my only finds are zinc pennies.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys, give it up !! :laughing9:
See that is where you went wrong, I swing my detector
slow, not fast as you claim you do yours.
And i've been to Indiana before and guess what part I
liked about it, yup the sign that said you are now leaving
Indiana and entering the Bluegrass state of Kentucky.
Have a great day and im tired of this simple subject.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[mod]DELETED – Forum Rules Violation
Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, and courteous.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't use profane or obscene language.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

(Wreckdiver1715)[/mod]

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Slow is less depth and that means you're just not telling the truth. Even in the face of video documentation you stick to silly claims.

This causes other people to buy that detector on false pretenses. It's a good detector, but folks should buy it with the knowledge that a 10" dime is just not possible. In trash like this thread is actually about, it's almost useless with that coil on it. It's relegated to the role of a two tone machine locking on to the nearest piece of trash. The guy in this thread will either need the sniper coil, or he'll destroy that church yard chasing trash. Notice that every denomination in that video is the same tone which is also the same tone for clad and any round shaped trash (like foil). It's a tot lot picker that should you stumble on a 5" silver dime all by itself, will go DING DING DING and you'll dig your 100th hole for the day and be suprised.

You should ask Garrett to compensate you for your bogus advertising.

And i've been to Indiana before and guess what part I
liked about it, yup the sign that said you are now leaving

I hope you treated our parks better than the louisville parks.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I hope you treated our parks better than the louisville parks".
I didnt say I detected, I said I visited Indiana once !
And i've never detected in Lousville either, so I had nothing
to do with people not been allowed to detect in the parks.
"Slow is less depth"
Absolutely wrong statement ! The faster you go the more signals you miss !!
"It's a good detector", not the best, but I love mine !!
"The guy in this thread will either need the sniper coil, or he'll destroy that church yard chasing trash."
He is a newbie also, im not !
"We live two hours apart, which is not an unreasonable distance to drive to go detecting"
Sorry, but no thanks, I detect with people I like and your attitudes make me dislike you both !
Have a great day and this subject is closed as far as im concerned !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread