Status
Not open for further replies.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace250isthecatsmeow said:
I am of the younger generation, being 28. The only time I carry any change on me is when I am going to yard sales and need a quarter or half dollar to pay for something. Otherwise, EVERYTHING gets put on a credit card.

At schools, many have lunch cards like somebody mentioned earlier. Also, there are a lot more kids on free or reduced lunches than in the past. Very little money is being carried by children. And when they do carry, they carry dollar bills. Why? Because many things are now in sold in simple numbers. A pop is $1, an hot dog is $2, a slice of pizza is $3, etc.

I can easily hunt all day in a public park and not dig $2 in clad while in my search for silver.

Also, fewer parks have concession stands. Even the in the late 80s, early 90s when I was growing up, our parks had concession stands set up in the summer so we could go buy candy for a dime and quarter. Now they are all closed up.

But the reality is, fewer people are carrying change like they used to.

I agree with Ace...it is not that kids are not carrying money its that they are carrying bills not coins. The days of buying something for 50 or 75 cents are over. Things are sold $1, $2 or more with taxes included.

My daughter is six and she has more money in her wallet then I do...lol. By the way...I'm not kidding.

Before I was married I paid for everything with cash...now the credit card gets a work out and I rarely have more the $20 on me at any point of time unless I know I need more for something.

If clad is drying up we all just need to do more research and find some virgin territory...

NJ

PS I hate clad....

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to toss a handfull of clad into the woods for future generations to find. :headbang:

Lookin' out for the next generation!!! 8)

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Clad is like silver to me. I have over the years, found thousands of dollars worth of clads. I took those clads and bought Silver Eagle dollars with the clads. That silver then went from $3.00 an ounce to almost $19 an ounce.

I now have a couple hundred silver eagles from the clads I found. I also bought silver eagles every week with my extra cash since they became available in 1986.

Clads are worth something. It is not that hard to find $20 or $30 a week in clads. That is 1 silver eagle a week plus I can buy a silver quarter or two with those clads.

CLADS = Silver

I am finding more coins not less. I just go where the coins are being lost.

I do prefer though to find gold. That is why most of my hunting now is in the water.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't seem to be finding any less, or any more really. I think it's interesting I've never found a Susan B. Anthony or Sacjawea dollar. I don't have much competition up here, maybe because there's a narrow window for detecting, and most people are more interested in skiing, and maybe it's outright illegal in a lot of places. Spooky is 127 years old, but he does have a fake ID.

B

BIG61AL

Yes yes and again yes. My last outing netted me a new low of 4 cents. This was at a park that dates back to 1866. But I will say it very very large and I only was at a newly developed fishing pond [1960's?]

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I like clad, but then I like Elvis Presley movies too. Interesting point about kids having lunch cards now. There was an iron grate over a sewer near a school cafeteria. Every week I would pull coins (mostly quarters) out of there. Now, there are no coins ever. Come to think of it, I never see those discarded envelopes any more, like "Kaitlyn $1.25 lunch money." The end of an era I guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I finding less coins? NO... kicking a$$! ;D Not used to it and am sure it will go back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread