Code of Ethics? Why So Many Versions?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While attempting to find a good print-friendly version of the Treasure Hunters Code Of Ethics to hand out to potential hunt site owners, I discovered many versions of the code.
My Vaquero manual lists thirteen points, (I think) T-net has this one:

Code of Ethics
I WILL strive to be an ambassador of my hobby and a good steward of the land.
I WILL assist authorities and the public in the recovery of lost items when asked, and will make every effort to return marked items to their rightful owners.
I WILL hunt private lands by permission only and obey the wishes of landowners.
I WILL obey the laws of my country, state, province, and local government, and will speak out against those laws which are unreasonable or unjust.
I WILL obey all laws concerning protected archaeological sites, and the recovery and possession of artifacts from such sites.
I WILL report any significant historical discovery to the appropriate authorities and provide proper location information and documentation.
I WILL be an advocate to advance the knowledge and technology of my hobby.
(seven points listed)

Lost Treasure shows a list with ten points. I did not paste it here.

GoMetalDetecting shows these TWO lists:

Metal Detecting Code of Ethics

No leaving of holes and trash you dug up behind.
Always ask permission to hunt private land, and get it in writing if possible.
If you are asked to leave a place, just say, "Okay, sorry." and leave.
Avoid confrontation with the authorities at all costs.
Don't steal your friend's spots
Abide by all state and local laws
Report all live ammunition and lethal ojects to the police
Use common sense and consideration for others when detecting.
Be responsible

AND:

Respect private property and get the owner's permission.
Fill all holes, even the ones on the beach and in the water
Protect our woods, forests, and wildlife.
Use thoughtfulness, consideration, and courtesy at all times.
Build fires in designated places only.
Leave gates to property as found.
Remove and properly dispose of any trash you find.
No littering of any kind, clean up after yourself.
Do not destroy property, buildings, ghost towns or abandoned structures.
Do not tamper with signs, structural facilities, or equipment.

Is there not ONE universally accepted version?
I realize that the points within all the codes are similar but it seems odd that the code changes with every site visited.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll just bump it back up until I get a response.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think because everyone is not part of one club or organization...........

Most have the same basic, common sense guide lines.....

I see your in St Charles Co Mo, I lived in Columbia MO for 19 years.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. I DO think the list with 'Don't steal your friends spots' was a bit goofy though.
Columbia MO, huh? College town, lotsa pretty ladies there!!

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Report all live ammunition to the police. I would be making a weekly trip to the police dept. from finding live ammunition that some deer hunter dropped in the woods.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
gopher -----

if a freind shows you a spot to hunt "with" him -- do not double back there without him and "clean out" the spot -- at least ask him --hey do you mind if I hit the place you showed me by myself and get his ok first -- otherwize it --- looks like your a "fake freind" --- aka "low down" site snatcher that non stop hits sites that others share with them ( thus cherry picking all the goodies from the site)--( sites that were meant to be hunted "together" as a team by those who shared thier location with you) there is no better way to tick off a detectorist than to pull such a move on one.

acting that way is looked upon by all the detectorist --I know of as "low life" tricks --and once the "word" is out amoung the local detectorist that you do that --no one will "invite" to go to their sites for "joint hunts" with them , count on it.--- in effect your "blacklisted"

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How about this one; I will be putting it on the back of my business cards, whenever I get around to ordering them lol

business card back.jpg

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one "ethical" rule that I do not recommend using when asking for permission with landowners.........

"I WILL report any significant historical discovery to the appropriate authorities and provide proper location information and documentation."

I've had a few landowners concerned with their land being deemed archaeologically significant (even though it wasn't) due to them wanting to sub-divide or develop in some way and knowing that there could be problems for them down the road with the government.

I assure the owners that I will document, clean/restore, and keep their "artifacts" together for future generations on MY OWN ACCORD.
I don't think archies even realize the reputation they have built for themselves, which is not always favourable to the general public.

I guarantee that this code of ethic will scare off some landowners and it needs to be revised. Like leaving out the "I WILL report any significant historical discovery to the appropriate authorities" part.

After permission is obtained and one discovers that the said property is historically significant, then it can be discussed with the landowner on what to do next.

I know this is an old post but due to my recent experiences, some people are concerned about their land becoming a "Heritage site" and all the B.S. that follows.

This is in Canada. I don't know how different it is in the States.

Cheers,
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread