Never kill a black snake! (Graphic)

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics. Nature taking care of itself. Those kings sure are a sight to behold.

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
meangene21 said:
Man 'o Man. No wonder there's so many tot lot bandits this time of year. We see a lot of black snakes here where I live, but never anything poisonous. (Yet) Those images sure make my recliner look a whole lot more comfortable!!!
Hey!
These photos were taken 2 hours from you!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a King Snake and a Queen Snake. Both are immune to the bite of venomous snakes and enjoy them as a source of food. They are constrictors. The typical black snake can be kinda mean as the black racer is very fast. There is also the indigo. They all are kinda similiar.
But the King rules and makes a fine pet. The queen snake is more rare. I could go on but will not bore you guys :tongue3:.
Cool pics on that timber rattler lunch 4-H.
TnMtns

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to relate a story, about how I was scared almost to death by a snake and say how relieved I was to find out that Black snakes are benevolent to humans. Than, I read the entire thread and learn it may have been a poisionous snake!

Yikes! Now, I'm re-living the past and thinking whatever the case may be, I'm lucky I wasn't hurt!

Years ago, I was working in western NC on a Robin Sage rotation (as a G) and I was trying to catch my dinner from an old bass pond one evening. I kept hearing something following me and I was trying to figure out what it was. I was walking through arm-pit high brown grass around the edge of this pond and one time I stopped and really looked hard to make sure no one was following me. When I turned around to continue, albeit a little faster, back to our 'camp', I noticed a 'black' snake's head peering at me, just above the top of the grass at my 1 o'clock (at about the shoreline of the pond.) It was still as could be, with it's tongue flicking in and out (smelling me? - poor thing! lol) After that, everytime I would start to walk, the snake would disappear and reappear always a short distance ahead of me, still looking at me!

After I was sufficiently scared, I figured perhaps the snake was simply curious as to what I was, and I felt better about the encounter. Man, that must've been a large snake to be able to stick his head above the grass, at shoulder height which is about 4.75 feet!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
We have lots of black snakes where I live and I have never seen a venomous snake around here.
Dman

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airborne1092:
It's POSSIBLE that the snake watching you was a blue (black) racer. They are usually pretty long and are curious a hell. They'll chase you if you run and turn and run away if you chase them. A moccasin that long would be thick bodied and too heavy for those grass / weeds to hold up. Moccasins are climbers, but they go up bushes and trees that line the edges of ponds and still water creeks and rivers. That was one reason I stopped going frog gigging. I got REALLLY tired of those damned things dropping into the Jon boat and trying to run me out. LOL
As a side note, if that pond was really a bass pond with some big old lunkers, the water snake population might be a little thin. Bass, especially BIG ones eat snakes; at least the smaller snakes. LOL Not saying they'd eat ALL of the snakes, but.............

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The reason they eat it head first is because of the scales. Snakes usually eat everything head first for that reason. Just like rats, if it eats it tail first the hair will stand up and irritate the snakes stomach and the snake could or will regurgitate it. I have had many snakes including a 6 foot boa that was a pussy cat. And as for people saying when they get hungry they will attack you is not true. Snakes only see heat red,blue,yellow, and a person is too big for them to eat. They are defending there territory for what ever reason, babbies, a mate, or just territorial, but never to eat a human. Now a 8 to 10 foot boa or python could eat a person and could attack one for food, they aren't very territorial that is why they make good pets. I have never had one of my snakes ever strike at me, as a matter of fact one of mine used to wrap around my wrist while I cut grass with a push mower.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kshollywood said:
The reason they eat it head first is because of the scales. Snakes usually eat everything head first for that reason. Just like rats, if it eats it tail first the hair will stand up and irritate the snakes stomach and the snake could or will regurgitate it. I have had many snakes including a 6 foot boa that was a --deleted-- cat. And as for people saying when they get hungry they will attack you is not true. Snakes only see heat red,blue,yellow, and a person is too big for them to eat. They are defending there territory for what ever reason, babbies, a mate, or just territorial, but never to eat a human. Now a 8 to 10 foot boa or python could eat a person and could attack one for food, they aren't very territorial that is why they make good pets. I have never had one of my snakes ever strike at me, as a matter of fact one of mine used to wrap around my wrist while I cut grass with a push mower.

I don't believe anyone said anything about a snake trying to eat a human. What I said was a cottonmouth moccasin will not give way to a human, especially if it hasn't eaten and is on the hunt. The old belief that a snake will leave an area you're traveling through if you make noise as you're walking so they will know you are coming may or may NOT be true, but a cottonmouth WILL NOT. As I wrote, cottonmouths are born with a seriously BAD attitude. Your avatar / signature says you're in Natchez, MS; so you should already know this.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
Airborne1092:
It's POSSIBLE that the snake watching you was a blue (black) racer. They are usually pretty long and are curious a hell. They'll chase you if you run and turn and run away if you chase them. A moccasin that long would be thick bodied and too heavy for those grass / weeds to hold up. Moccasins are climbers, but they go up bushes and trees that line the edges of ponds and still water creeks and rivers. That was one reason I stopped going frog gigging. I got REALLLY tired of those damned things dropping into the Jon boat and trying to run me out. LOL
As a side note, if that pond was really a bass pond with some big old lunkers, the water snake population might be a little thin. Bass, especially BIG ones eat snakes; at least the smaller snakes. LOL Not saying they'd eat ALL of the snakes, but.............

Not sure if that snake was IN the grass, the grass was pretty thin stuff. The snake's head was about half the size of my fist, so figured he was a pretty big dude. I never caught any bass from that 'bass pond', but I did snag a couple pumpkin seed perch, the larger one was about the size of a 45 record and the other about the size of my open hand. They were both tasty, as I had not eaten in a couple days and I was tired of chewing on sarsaparilla...

rush

Aug 24, 2009
personally I would not kill snakes unless I had to
and I never Had to kill one yet (I knock on wood)
LOL I heard that it's BAD juju to kill snakes !
Be safe out there!

meteoritesusa

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug I
4-H said:
My buddy who lives here in Swannanoa just emailed me these photos of why you don't kill black snakes. I have always been told that they will kill and eat venomous snakes. I just have always thought this to be myth!

Now we know.

This is also why we don't venture in these woods, metal detecting this time of year. This occurred less than 1 mile from where I sit typing.

AWESOME! So cool, and black is my favorite color! Bye bye rattlesnake, hello friend.

Eric

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
great pics, 4-H!
i used to live in swannanoa, but only ever saw one rattler, and it was road-killed way up shope creek.
i used to catch the black snakes on the road and put them in my barn, too.
always like having them around...

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4-H said:
My buddy who lives here in Swannanoa just emailed me these photos of why you don't kill black snakes. I have always been told that they will kill and eat venomous snakes. I just have always thought this to be myth!

Now we know.

This is also why we don't venture in these woods, metal detecting this time of year. This occurred less than 1 mile from where I sit typing.
Hello 4H, I am finally on this treasure net site as you suggested. It seams to be a great site. I have to tell ya though, After that Stolen jewelry find we had last week, I now have a good case of POISON IVY. Thanks. :help: Dave P
The BLACK SNAKE SAYS" I'VE HAD MY LUNCH AND NOW I AM LEAVING". Haha. Was that a rare diamond back rattler?

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey 4H> Finally glad to be on this site. It looks like a great site for metal detectorists. I have to tell ya though, after last weeks hunt in the woods for stolen Jewelry, not only did we find the jewelry, but I also got a good case of POISON IVY. ;D Oh well, I guess that goes with the hobby. See you soon. Dave P

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanx for the confirmation, 4H! I've always heard that too, & like U, I have always wondered if it was really true,
or just an "old wives tale". Now I know. Great pics! I hate snakes, & love to see one of 'em "buyin' the farm"! :laughing9:

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the size of the rattlers head and neck and then it's body, it looks as though it had eaten something shortly before the black snake got a hold of him. So I guess that means the black snake got 2 meals in one! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread