Garrett ACE 250 OR BH LAND RANGER?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 :icon_thumleft:
Lots of folks will soon agree.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
I'd go for the Ace. It's a current model, lighter and easier to swing, less settings to mess with, and cheaper batteries. The down side.... I can't stand yellow. Some people have difficulty pinpointing with it, but I don't think that would be a problem with practice. The Ace has a quicker response time, so in a field of trash, that can be a blessing. I think the Ace also has better ergonomics and it breaks down into a smaller package than the BH. The BH is a discontinued model, is somewhat heavy by current standards, and the 9V batteries tend to be pricey. The accessories are cheaper, however. I'll catch flak for this, but I feel the BH will go a little deeper when properly set up and used. Whatever your buddy picks, he needs to make sure it's right for him, i.e. he is comfortable with it and its operation. Just my thoughts....

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Is your friend looking at new or used? Maximum budget? I think the Land Ranger was sold through Bass Pro Shops as the Ranger Pro. One of these just went for under $100 on eBay. I sold my Ace 250 for $130. The Ace 250 I've had 3 or 4, kinda just good enough or not quite.

Dozens of used models under $200. If buying new, other choices under $300 are Tesoro Silver u/Max $239. Doesn't have non-motion pinpoint or tone ID or visual ID but deepest of the cheaper models. Teknetics Delta 4000 $279, has 8" round coil, numerical & 3 tone ID, 5 year non-transferrable warranty. White's Coinmaster for $179.95 with visual ID & depth indicator. Or Coinmaster Pro, the same except has notches & tone ID, for $279.95. 9" coils on those. 2 year transferrable warranty.

I wouldn't want to tell your friend what to buy as preferences vary. I assume your friend does not have a computer? Certainly they make research easier. Is there a club or dealer in the local area? They can be a big help. Of course if your friend is just getting into detecting, any of them is better than none! HH, George (MN)

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
All I can say is I am continually amazed over how well my friend who has an ACE250 does whenever we go detecting.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd get a white's :thumbsup:

RebelRod

Greenie
Aug 17, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 - Bounty Hunter 505 - White's Prizm V - Garrett Propointer
I have had Bounty Hunters (not that model) and just got the Ace 250. In my opinion it is a great detector for that price range and your friend would probably be very happy with the Ace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread