Am I doing it wrong

frankenstein

Apr 10, 2010
I have a Micronata Discovery II metal detector. I thought I knew what I was doing until I had trouble a few weeks ago.

Setting the Controls
The detector is now set to ALL METAL. This setting has the greatest detection level and has no discrimination between different types of metals.

GROUND adjusts detection balances between elements normally found in the ground and metal objects.
Follow these steps to set GROUND.
1. Rotate VOLUME two-thirds of the way toward MAX.
2. Hold the searchcoil at least waist high and rotate GROUND toward NORM.
3. Push and immediately release TUNE. You should barely hear a thresh hold tone.
4. Drop the searchcoil to within' /' inch of the ground. If you correctly set GROUND, the threshold tone should not change significantly. If it does change, either gaining or losing tone, repeat the steps above until you find a setting where the sound does not vary significantly when held from '/, -inch to 1-inch above the ground.

ok, so basic question, should i hear continuous tone when detecting?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea sir.Maybe some of these experts will chime in and help a new member :thumbsup:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
All I know about a Radio Shack metal detector is what I learned on mine, back in '60, when I first started hunting with my Shack B.F.O. It will lead to many, many upgrades to better machines, through the years. In other words, mine didn't go very deep, But, it was easy to set up :icon_thumright:.......NGE

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frankenstein said:
I have a Micronata Discovery II metal detector. I thought I knew what I was doing until I had trouble a few weeks ago.

Setting the Controls
The detector is now set to ALL METAL. This setting has the greatest detection level and has no discrimination between different types of metals.

GROUND adjusts detection balances between elements normally found in the ground and metal objects.
Follow these steps to set GROUND.
1. Rotate VOLUME two-thirds of the way toward MAX.
2. Hold the searchcoil at least waist high and rotate GROUND toward NORM.
3. Push and immediately release TUNE. You should barely hear a thresh hold tone.
4. Drop the searchcoil to within' /' inch of the ground. If you correctly set GROUND, the threshold tone should not change significantly. If it does change, either gaining or losing tone, repeat the steps above until you find a setting where the sound does not vary significantly when held from '/, -inch to 1-inch above the ground.

ok, so basic question, should i hear continuous tone when detecting?

not familiar with Micronata but

yes you should get a hum.
best setting is
just so you can hear the tone.

Your #3. says so too "You should barely hear a thresh hold tone."

when you get a signal the tone will increase.

on GROUND balancing you
look like you have good directions in
your post.

If the signal disapears when you lower the coil
you have hot ground.
re adjust ground balance.

If the signal gets louder when you lower the coil you
have Hot ground and need to adjust Ground Balance.

Once you can lower the coil with little or no tone change but
can still hear a hum your set to go.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jeff gives a pretty good answer. I will add, that to answer your question, it depends on what you mean by "... continuous tone..." If you mean blarring signal (so much so, that targets waved can do nothing to signal anything, because you're already at the peak of signal volume), then yes: that's not right. But if by "continuous tone" you meant a threshold tone (that a target beeps louder than), then there's nothing wrong with a threshold tone. To have "no threshold", would be what's called a "silent search" machine. Some people prefer no threshold silent-search, while others prefer a threshold background.

But let's cut to the chase: Micronta is basically a toy. :-X

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
BInnnnnnnnGO! You nailed it Tom. It is basically a toy........compared to entry line, well known brands............NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread