new to treasure hunting

piratekitty

Aug 19, 2010
Hello everyone!

So I work at a bank and have been collecting coins (mostly silver) for the past 6 months now. The bank is a great place to be exposed to a lot of currency, but I'm ready to get out on the field and start doing metal detecting. My only problem is I'm not really sure where to start! I've got some good ideas in my area about where to go (they're rather historical), but I'm wondering if you're able to find stuff anywhere, in any field? Also, I need to get myself a metal detector, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of some good ones. Since I'm just starting out, I don't want to spend tons of money on a detector, but I do want it to be a pretty good one, so I know I'll have to find a balance there. Any advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

piratekitty

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-Net, a lot of folks like the Ace 250, it's a mid-priced machine, a couple of my friends use one & they like it fine.
Just do some research, (maybe the library), & ask some of the older folks for info on your area, you should come up with some places to detect, Look for old foundations, wells, cellar holes.

Good Luck, Fossis..........

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Fossis, the Garrett Ace 250 is a great starter machine. Lightweight, some bells and whistles, but a straight-out-of-the-box detector. Garrett also does a good line of books on all aspects of the hobby. One thing I would encourage is patronize the companies that buy the add space on the Tnet. And welcome aboard! You'll find a good bunch of people here. Lots of info. GL TTC

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Make sure the area where you hunt is authorized/legal. You may (or may not) want to post pictures on the interweb of the things that you find. Welcome aboard, Matey!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No, you don't just walk out to "any field". You need to research and see where people used to congregate. Like where old picnic grounds were, in your area (preferably ones that ceased to be used after 1920, let's say, so that you won't be bothered with pesky clad or pulltabs, haha). Other places would be old parks, school yards (assuming they haven't been clobbered to death and stripped of all the gimmees by the last 30 yrs. of other hunters in your area), old yards of old homes, stage stop sites, etc.....

As for what AZ bob says, the way to "where you hunt is authorized/legal", (if you are skittish), is to check with your city hall, or county web site (in the case of city, or county property, for instance). The city / county codes, rules, laws, etc... will invariably be there somewhere. Check down the parks usage section, etc... Or do a key word search on "metal detecting" or "metal detector". If it is silent on the issue, then so be it. Notice how this is different from "asking permission", and is instead, "checking to see if there are any prohibitions". Obviously, of course, stay clear of obvious historic monuments, don't be a nuisance and leave a mess, be discreet, etc.... (since our hobby tends to draw the stares of the curious).

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends on your budget.
I always tell people you can never go wrong with a Minelab Explorer. But if the explorer is out of your budget, try the Minelab Xterra line. The 505 (xterra) is a good starter machine.
Let me know if I can help you out or get you on a payment plan.

Mike

OP
OP
P

piratekitty

Aug 19, 2010
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the advice. Mike, I just sent you a message (or...at least I tried to) and I was looking at the X-terra 305. That seems like a pretty good starter machine from what I've read.

And thank you for all the kind words. :) I was referred here by someone else and she said there are a lot of great people on this site.

delaford321

Apr 25, 2010
I'm new to the whole treasure hunting thing. Recently I found a Civil War era sword from one of my great great grandfather. Just curious on how I could get it looked at and/or priced. Aside from a little dust (its been in storage), it seems to be in mint condition(?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread