Looks Like Im NOT Stuck With It, AFTER ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Re: Looks Like I'm Stuck With It...

I had a classic ID, not a "5". Since you have rechecked all the connections and still have the same issues I believe you have a defective machine. There is no way it should only air test or detect a cent at 3 or 4 inches and it should not be making noises when waving in mid air. You might try another set of batteries just in case there is a bad one mixed in. To bad no ones around to swap coils with either. I would ship it back to Whites, they will take care of it.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,

Not knowing where you have tried to use your machine. I used to be able to detect my own property, but since I switched to satellite internet and had a dish installed not 1 of the detectors I have here work including a White's that i recently traded.
I would suggest try going somewhere else and just try the MD in a different surrounding to be sure it is not local interference.
just my thoughts
Joe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
oh... ok... only 2 feet in the air on a nickel, but 3 feet in the ground. gotcha :wink:

I'm lucky to get 5"maybe 6" on a freshly buried quarter
same on air test.
Long time since I Tried Being coins
don't Float in thr Air when Dropped :tongue3:

I Find quarters almost twice that deep,
and on occasion deeper.
(it's called Halo Effect)
my first shield nickel (Smaller) was way over 5 inches.

If you buy a detector & it can't
penetrate the ground, it's a waste of money :tongue3:

My Explorer 2 Could be set to do 10 to 12 Inches
in the air. don't remember if I Tried a Fresh buried test
on it. didn't have it long enough to find a deep quarter
but did get a seated dime at close to that

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nothing against KellyCo but any company that charges me a re-stocking fee will never see another dime from me. That is a classic example of what's known as a 'garbage fee'.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
Iron Patch said:
oh... ok... only 2 feet in the air on a nickel, but 3 feet in the ground. gotcha :wink:

I'm lucky to get 5"maybe 6" on a freshly buried quarter
same on air test.
Long time since I Tried Being coins
don't Float in thr Air when Dropped :tongue3:

I Find quarters almost twice that deep,
and on occasion deeper.
(it's called Halo Effect)
my first shield nickel (Smaller) was way over 5 inches.

If you buy a detector & it can't
penetrate the ground, it's a waste of money :tongue3:

My Explorer 2 Could be set to do 10 to 12 Inches
in the air. don't remember if I Tried a Fresh buried test
on it. didn't have it long enough to find a deep quarter
but did get a seated dime at close to that

Explorer is pretty close to the same air vs ground, but you can tell it likes targets better what they've had time to settle.

metdetdevl

Sep 14, 2007
Winter Springs, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey said:

Finally heard from Kellyco, regarding this crappy White's Classic 5 ID detector. They said the reason I couldn't find any of the 9 items I buried (at only 4" deep) was they haven't been in the ground long enough.

I mentioned the erratic screen displays & random meaningless beeps, even when it's laying on the ground not even being touched... they blamed it on mineralized soil. I told them I tried turning the sensitivity ALL THE WAY DOWN, & it STILL did it... they blamed it on mineralized soil.

Told them about the air test, & how it will barely detect a penny at 4", BARELY (measured with a ruler for accuracy), or 6" BARELY, if sensitivity is WIDE OPEN,... they said the air test was not reliable or was inaccurate, something to that effect.

With a whopping 30% restocking fee, or 20% if I pick another detector, it looks like I'm just stuck with this thing. So, this has turned into a $400 nightmare that I'll be paying on for months to come. I wish to heck I had never bought it... :BangHead:

"The Lord is my shepherd"
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Hey SirJoey,

First let me say I am sorry that you had an issue and did not get the service that you should have. Send me your order information and I will get to the bottom of the situation. We should not ask you for a restock fee if you bought from us and you are having issues with your detector. The only way we will ask for a restock fee is if you want to return the item after the return period and then it just depends on the situation.

Let me know your info and we can get you fixed up.

Dan Gerrell
Chief Operating Officer
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

It's just a matter of both sides sorting it out so you can get back out there.

metdetdevl

Sep 14, 2007
Winter Springs, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey said:
metdetdevl said:
Let me know your info and we can get you fixed up.

Dan Gerrell
Chief Operating Officer
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]
Dan, I sent an email with the info. Thanx for the response!

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

I just responded to ya... I wanted to post the info out here as well in case others might have the same issue. It might or might not help you out but either way, it soulds like the issues you are having are caused by the preset ground balancing from the factory.

Info on adjusting the factory ground balance on a Classic 5 ID can be found under Advanced Operator on page 19 in the manual and this can be very important depending on our soil type.

The ground rejection of the Classic models is factory preset at a level slightly positive of a ferrite mineral sample. This setting will provide good performance in most ground conditions. If you notice a lot of false targeting or beeps where there is no metal the ground the ground rejection may need to be adjusted for your area.

Basically there is a built-in ground balance trimmer inside the Classic that can be adjusted by the user.

In many cases only a very slight change is needed depending on your soil conditions. In most cases this will eliminate most of the false signals and now allow you to operate the detector at a higher sensitivity level.

Full instructions are in the book and it is easy to do.

Here is the manual for future use...
http://www.metaldetectormanuals.com/whites/white’s-classic-5id-metal-detector/

As I said in the email I sent to you, let me know if this works for you and if not we can work it out in another way either by getting the detector back and sending you another Classic 5 ID or giving you an upgrade to another unit that would better suit your area.

UPDATE: Woops... This is the old manual.. I will get the new manual up on the site very shortly and it will show on page 15 of the new manual... Sorry about that... I will add that link into this post shortly. Sorry...

Another Update: Here is the link to the manual on Kellyco's Website

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/pdf/manuals/classic5_id.pdf

Dan Gerrell
Chief Operating Officer
Kellyco Metal Detectors
[email protected]

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirJoey said:

Finally heard from Kellyco, regarding this crappy White's Classic 5 ID detector. They said the reason I couldn't find any of the 9 items I buried (at only 4" deep) was they haven't been in the ground long enough.

With a whopping 30% restocking fee, or 20% if I pick another detector, it looks like I'm just stuck with this thing. So, this has turned into a $400 nightmare that I'll be paying on for months to come. I wish to heck I had never bought it... :BangHead:

Hello!

Looks like my Dan Gerrell beat me to it :thumbsup:! Dan Gerrell or myself can definitely help with any issues concerning our customers. Sometimes our sales people do not understand what the person is asking for, but our ultimate goal is to satisfy each and every customer and Metal Detectorist that comes to us...

Let us know if any of you have an issues in the future.

Ms. Ariel S
Kellyco Metal Detectors

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell us. Did the advice work? I have bought 5 detectors from them and had nothing but good dealings. Monty

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
Tell us. Did the advice work? I have bought 5 detectors from them and had nothing but good dealings. Monty
Nope. I tried adjusting the internal ground balance screw... it made no difference whatsoever, regardless of position. Even when turned from one extreme to the other, it does nothing whatsoever as far as I can tell.

On the plus side, my dealings with Dan have been very positive so far. He has been nothing but professional, positive, & friendly, & he seems determined to make this right, whatever it takes! :thumbsup:

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep us updated! I'm hoping to get one of the Fisher F2 packages from Kellyco here in the next couple of months as a birthday present. I want to know ahead of time any bad dealings, with any online company. I have very little to spend, in a very limited window to spend it, and I dont want to be burned out of the hobby because of bad online compaines. Hope everything works out for ya!

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mezrein503 said:
Keep us updated! Hope everything works out for ya!
Thanx, will do, Mezrein. At this point, it's become apparent that I have to return mine. As of last night, Dan from Kellyco said they'd replace it with a new one, & no re-stocking fee. So far, Dan's been great to deal with! Right now I'm just waiting to hear from them regarding the exact details of shipping it back.

After that... the waiting... again... (not intended as a disparaging remark, as Kellyco was lightning fast on shipping THIS one!)

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Totally understand the statement. When you're eager to get going and start detecting, espically after waiting to get it in the first place, every hour longer of having to wait feels like a decade + a century long. My birthday is less than 3 months away, but it feels like its still a year off! :)

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mezrein503 said:
When you're eager to get going and start detecting, espically after waiting to get it in the first place, every hour longer of having to wait feels like a decade + a century long.
Yep, that's exactly right! At the very LEAST! :laughing9:

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

OP
OP
SirJoey

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got a call from Kellyco today. UPS is supposed to pick up the MD right here at my house, WOO-HOO! :hello2:
Looks like I'm not even gonna have to pay return shipping, let alone make the 50-mile-round-trip to town,
in order to ship it back! What a lifesaver, at a time when I'm almost broke, & have very little gas in my truck! :thumbsup:

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero

Good for you. I'm glad to see that Kellyco came through for you. Hopefully you'll be back at it soon. Good luck!

locolarry

Aug 7, 2010
Cary, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di PRO, WHITES GOLDMASTER 66TR, DETECTOR PRO HEADHUNTER

Joey et Al...

Sorry for not taking part in all this...since I'm the one that started it all with a recommendation for Whites AND a recommendation for KellyCo. I've been on-the-road in my tractor-trailer since 0500 Monday and have had no chance to get on-line...

I've owned a White's since 1972, bought another one in 1999 or so..Had dealings with Whites directly, but not KellyCo..I know that KC has been a big player for a long time...seemed like a good Dealer and, Joey , you needed an on-line supplier that took credit cards. I've had and used other detectors, bought used, including my underwater detector that I traded a used handgun for..

It's my hope that KC steps up and figures out a solution. I believe they will. They didn't get big by not taking care of problems. I, and probably most of you reading this, belong to more than one forum. Word of unfairness would be damaging to any company's reputation. We are not that big of a community(metal detector enthusiasts) in comparison to hunting, golf, etc, etc. I suggest that you give 'em the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to get your Whites squared away. Dan seems to be on top of the problem.

BTW, found more goodies with my ol' Goldmaster 66 TR than anything else!...'Cause I had to DIG EVERYTHING! Back in them thar old days we didn't have no stankin' discriminator!!!

And, Yall, SirJoey really DOES live back in the sticks, been to his place once.......He lives so far outa town that the UPS delivery guy has to ride out there on a brown horse to deliver packages. ;D

Keep the faith, SirJoey!

Loco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread