Depth Of Older Coin Finds

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Coins before 1950 are usually at or deeper than 6 inches in Key West parks and vacant lots. Our soil is course and fluffy. Stuff falls through it quickly.

OT

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no real relationship. Thousand year old coin can be on or near the surface and a new coin a foot down.

Put a large rock on a lawn and as it sinks due to its weight v surface area. Smaller items round the sinking rock get forced up towards the surface.
Worm action/moles turns soil over all the time. Have a hard frost where the ground cracks and a coin can be dropped and go straight down several inches. On pasture after rain if a cow treads on a place where a coin is surface surface or a few inches down the weight pushes the coin down even further.

Wind and erosion cut soil away making it easier to get to deep items but the soil is moved on to another spot making things more difficult there.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have six coins from the 1800's. The deepest was probably five inches. Most were 1-3 inches. Had an 1808 spanish reale about two inches deep. But, these were dug in the woods. Around here stuff doesn't go very deep in the woods. Several flat buttons have also been found within five inches. In grassy areas stuff for me is deeper. Deepest (in a park) was a mercury dime around eight inches. Of the 18 mercury dimes I have dug (in a park), most were in the 4-5 inch range. Well within reach of the Ace 250 used to find them. I need to take the Tejon to the same park and see if there are deeper coins. My problem is I just can't seem to get my butt out of the woods.

-Swartzie

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
This is a great question (especially since I haven't found any silver coins yet).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread