Not getting to detect is tourture

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
Some of you know about the back problems ive been having and im going crazy! Im only getting about 15-20 hours a week at work, not because the hours are not there but because I cant stand the pain. I got my ace 250 a few weeks back and have only had it out for about an hour... Anyone in the Scranton Pa area want to dig for me :tongue3: Sitting around the house is driving me crazy! :help:

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My sympathies with your back problems, battlecat. I lost two years due to 2 herniated discs, but now am able to get out once in awhile, usually when well rested and not for more than two hours. It is frustrating, as I used to enjoy those all day MD outings.

I did take up Geocaching, which is a fun substitute type of treasure hunting. But now that I'm feeling better, MDing comes first.

Best of luck getting that back in shape again!!

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Aboard a UFO, hovering over South Carolina...
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can sooooo relate, BC! I'm in the very same boat, but add hip problems to the mix.
A lotta days I can only stand to even be on my feet for a few minutes at a time.

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

OP
OP
B

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
Thanks guys, 4 herniated discs, Degenretive disc disease and severe arthritis at 33... I was told Its rare to see a back like this at my age. What can you do, these stupid injections are not doing anything for me yet, Im on my second set

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dude, are U sure we weren't seperated at birth or something? :laughing9:

I've also got degenerative disc disease which started at 21 for me, & spinal arthritis too!
No herniated discs (yet), but I DID fall & FRACTURE my back about 10 years ago, which
made my existing problems even worse.

Oh yeah, I tried the spinal injections, too. They didn't do anything for me either, other than
hurt like the dickens during the process! At 57, I've got a couple years on ya, too.

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you guys get better..........Back pain can put you down for a while. Went lake hunting recently and the constant jar of the waves put me in the bed of three says......wish you guys the best.

SirJoey

Aug 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5 ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m bryan said:
Hope you guys get better..........Back pain can put you down for a while. Went lake hunting recently and the constant jar of the waves put me in the bed of three says......wish you guys the best.

Thanx, MB! Unfortunately for BattleCat & me, degenerative disc is a life sentence which only continues to worsen as one ages.

When I first sought medical treatment for MY pain, at around the age of 30, my doctor said there was a good chance that I'd eventually end up in a wheelchair. I thank the Lord that has not happened yet, but if it does, then & ONLY then will I opt for back surgery, cuz at that point I'll figure I've got nothin' to lose.

The Lord Is My Shepherd!
sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

OP
OP
B

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
Yep surgery has been suggested, I have turned it down for now. To many horror stories heard. Mainly it just really has me frustrated, I hate not not being able to work a whole shift. Oh well we shall see where it ends up soon. Its really effecting me emotionally I guess

seadoodiver

Apr 23, 2010
Fort Myers Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel your pain. I had neck surgery to end my pain, but I could not look down/walk a long distance for 6 weeks. No digging, no nothing. Be strong, you will heal and you will be back!
Jeff
Cape Coral FL

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
battlecat said:
Thanks guys, 4 herniated discs, Degenretive disc disease and severe arthritis at 33... I was told Its rare to see a back like this at my age. What can you do, these stupid injections are not doing anything for me yet, Im on my second set

You're not alone from what I see. I didn't care much when the Dr. told me about the rarity of my lung disease at 45...lungs of a 70. Had one lung removed...then they start throwing in the deg. back disease, Barrette's esophagas....everything advanced for some odd reason. Got to wonder what's in the water I drink...guts are happily deteoriating away.

55 now, work in dusty, hazardous environment...company don't give a crap what happens to me as long as I get the job done.....

So I haven't detected for almost over a year now...virtually brand new Vision detector sitting in the corner as a stark reminder of what I want to do...just too sick and tired when I do have some time off to get out to do anything.

Tell ya what.....you swing the detector...I'll crawl around nice and slow and dig. Just make sure there's a bathroom nearby or some heavy brush around...just in case. Just not ready for the adult depends yet.

Al

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Hey Battlecat, your problem sounds VERY similar to mine.
Except I'm about 12 yrs. older than you.
I have a fractured vertebrate, 2 herniated discs, and advanced degenerative disc disease. I'm going for my 4th injection next Monday.
It has all but ended my detecting this year. (And possibly permanently).
Now I have to remind myself not to detect for more than an hour at a time, MAXIMUM. (Which sucks, cause you think about the gas you used to get to a site, and you wanna get the most out of it when you're there :().
And I ONLY hunt strategically thought out spots, that I think my odds are good that I might find some oldies. It's worked so far. Each time I've detected this year, I've found a keeper. But no more hunting for HOURS, and digging everything for me!
You're like 20 minutes from me. We might be going to the same doctor!
PM me.

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I know how your feeling I haven't been out since April.
I dropped a sheet of plywood on my foot and screwed it up
big time and I also have tendinitis in my shoulder.
I can barely sleep at night let alone metal detect, but I think I'm
gonna give it a go next week if the weather is cooler.

Best wishes
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread