Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried to swing a metal detector in ivy? You know that non indigenous plant from across the pond. I have a spot where I am digging Cw relics all around and right in the middle of it is a large ivy lot. It is impossible to hunt. Even in the winter its tough. Today I sprayed it with some stuff like roundup we use on roads :laughing7: Maybe it wil be dead by winter.
Anyone else ever run into something like this?

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted the shorter lower to the ground ivy. One time I got a gold wedding band in a patch of that stuff. Although it can be a challenge swinging the coil and trying to keep it close to the ground. It might be worth it hunting the older areas. A lot of the virgin silver coin areas have the thick overgrowth of ivy that's just to thick to work in sometimes. I've noticed a lot of it in the older parks. Sometimes I'm tempted to use Roundup weed killer in the parks to get to the silver, but I'd end up in jail!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about Kudzu? Our area down here in Mississippi is covered in it. Stuff takes over like the plague. To kill it is damn near impossible. You can spray it. It will die, but remain there and still make it hard to swing in. I would spray it, let it die and either burn it or physically remove the dead stuff to be able to swing. Good luck. Hope u can kill it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who can develop a good commercial use for kudzu would become filthy rich. I don't see why it couldn't be used in the production of alternative fuels. I've read where experiments using grasses for making alcohol were successful, so why not kudzu. I've seen that crap completely covering old houses. Hell, it's way worse that wild Wisteria. At least the Wisteria looks and SMELLS good for part of the year. Kudzu is just........................THERE. ;D

Hey, maybe you can get that golfer to make a few chip shots in your weedy area. LOL

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That video is hilarious.
It's in a neighborhood that is a battlefield. I have hunted every lot around it and have found stuff in every place. This is the last bastion for me to conquer! They are estate size lots so pretty big. It has the old road bed from a defensive retreat on it. I am spraying it with permission with the agri strength 2,4,D brush killer. Looks like an old well or privy is there also.
We have kudzu all over the place
also and can only hunt it in the winter time. You can make bio fuel from it and the deer love it. Stuff is way out of control in the south. That is what I would enjoy seeing burn. :laughing7:
This is the English ivy. Near impossible to swing a coil in. You have to just kinda mash the ground with it.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Can you take a weed eater out and weed whack it? :dontknow:
I could but that would take a very long time. I hope the heat and the spray knock it down. It is close to home so it will be a fun winter adventure if it kills it.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
kiwfcg6.gif

Do it! :D

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There-

To complete kill ivy round trees walls etc, this is what you do.

Pick a horizontal line at the base, about a foot from the ground. Cut Everything along this line with a saw, using a carpet knife
for the smaller shoots. Careful. You can then poison the stumps if you want it gone for good! (Paint it on the cuts if its around a tree you want to keep.

In two years it will practically fall off. After one year its easy to just pull down.

I've done this many times restoring old buildings and landscaping.

Luck

Rory

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. I used an electric sprayer with 2-4-D brush killer from the co op. It is wilting now. I know I will find some stuff this fall in there. Thanks for all the replies. The video cracked me up!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread