metal detecting for gold in bed rock

freemanbc

Sep 13, 2010
Hi there,
I'm brand new here nice to be here!
I've just bought a Minelab Explorer SE metal detector and I'm wondering if this detector is capable of detecting gold in bed rock cracks, or right in bed rock pieces?
I think there will be high mineral content in the bed rock area so I'm not sure if this will work or not. This detector is water submersible up to a few feet also.

I'm really curious about this because in the area where I live there are quite a few creeks producing gold. I also know of some trails into some canyon water areas where I'd like to try prospecting when the water levels are at their lowest. The bedrock is really exposed well in late summer.

I tried scanning the inside bend of one of these creeks one day with my metal detector along some bedrock and shale and moss etc. and had one hit of a really gold sounding alarm when I kept going over a certain rock. I didn't however have a pick or hammer with me to try breaking open the rock to check what was making the detector go off.

Found around 40 rounds of ammunition up the creek too some real old looking 45 cal. hand gun shells.

I'd really like to start using my detector for gold hunting but if it's not capable enough to do the job very effectively and just look specifically for gold pieces then I would like some advice from you here on which detector is best suited for this job. Money isn't an issue for me so I would like the best detector possible to hunt for gold in bed rock.

Thank you!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The Explorer detectors are not a good choice for finding gold athough it might
hit on a big nugget. Minelab makes excellent gold machines in the $4000 plus
range, pulse induction.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into the Whites TDI. My freind has one and he can tune in so he can hunt just certain things. He is headed out west in the next week just to go gold hunting. Last year he was out west and he hunted with a Whites MXT and found one nugget that weighted 3/4 of a oz plus 4 little ones that was around a gram each.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread