Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if Texas has any specific laws regarding this. Right now, the federal rule is that if the seller is located in your state or they have a store there (like Sears or Target) you must pay sales tax. A lot of those folks that we kicked out of our states and sent to Washington are trying to change that though. They want us to pay taxes on everything.

Try going through the ordering process from several internet stores without completing them and see what happens. Some sellers like Kellyco deal in multiple brands so you may need to base your decision on other criteria.

OP
OP
M

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
That's my concern. I do know there are B&M storefronts for the a few of the major brands of detectors here in the Dallas area, and it'd pay me to order around those if I am talking about $1000 or more for a unit. I'll just have to ask that question when the time comes, but I wanted to get a preview here first. Thanks. martin

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you live in Texas & buy from any business in Texas, you must pay sales tax. If you buy from a chain store in another state that has a store in your state, you'll likely be asked to pay sales tax.

I don't know when the National Sales Tax will start, but for now most things can be purchased online untaxed from stores that are not in your state & don't have a retail store in Texas, unless seller collects taxes for all states (that is rare). HH, George (MN)

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in North Carolina the state government wants us to pay sales tax on ANY online purchase, regardless of location. If the company is in state, they are required to charge the tax, if it is outside of the state, the government asks us to self report the tax during tax time. I doubt that many do...

I'd do what auferret suggested and go through the ordering process to verify if sales tax is charged.

Keep in mind, if the company is charging you shipping for the product it may be as cheap to buy the item locally, and pay the sales tax. This helps your local companies stay in business as well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gathered from my research and on line business that only if selling in the state you live in do you charge sales tax.If a partner is from another state you must charge for that state as well. It is a grey area so far. I would search out of state vendors first. :sign13:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my Excal this year I bought from someone in another state and I did not have to pay sale tax. So you need to check with someone from another state. If they are in your state you will need to pay sale tax....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread