Introduction and Question

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Hello all,

I started checking out this forum about a week ago and have been addicted ever since, checking finds, and all that fun stuff. In the same period, I have also been looking at purchasing my first detector, since we live in a nice historical area without illegal hunting places like battle grounds, and it looks like so much fun! But here is the thing, I am 15, and don't make a lot of money, so I am a bit on the cheap side:) So I have been looking at things like the F2 and Ace 250, and I like the fisher so far. However, I saw somebody selling a Whites Prizm II, for $100, or best offer right in my town, and was not sure if this was a good deal or not, or if the detectors any good. I know my thing would be to find coins and relics, but mostly coins, so if that helps anything then that's great. I have collected different coins, but have no experience what so ever with detecting. So I suppose my question would be is: Should I save up and go for the fisher or ace, or go for the whites prizm? Also, I could use any experience on whoever has used these, and their thoughts, or is there something else better that you would suggest? I think I am going to check the condition of the prizm in the next week, apparently its good, but no promises.

Thanks in advance, this board has already brought me into the idea of detecting, and great ideas!

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
While there is nothing wrong with any of the machines you mentioned, the Whites would be my last choice. You just get more for your money with the F2 and the Ace. Stay away from the Ace 150. I've been seeing used Ace 250s going for between $125.00 and $160.00 on eBay. With the new 350 coming out, people are starting to let go of their 250s. Used F2s are hard to find. In the end, you need to buy the machine that you like the best and will use. If you decide you don't like the hobby, you'll have a hard time selling the Prizm ll or the F2.

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
What is your thought on getting things used? I see lots of ACE 250's as you said, are they good choices? What do you think about the F2 compared to the ACE?

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi,
I have bought several machines used and have not had a problem. But, there's always a bad apple out there somewhere. New is always a better option as used machines do not come with a warranty. If you buy used from eBay, look for a seller that will let you return it if there is a problem.

As far as the Ace to F2 comparison, they each have strong points. The F2 has the VDI numbers which help classify a target. It's not always right, but with time you learn to have a pretty good idea of what's in the ground before you dig. The notch and discrimination features work really great. If you notch out foil, rarely will you find any. The pinpointing of the F2 is really great as it tells you in inches how far away from the target you are. Also in pinpoint mode you can temporarily (you have to push and hold the button) see a little deeper into the ground as it is an all metal mode. The extra coils are a bit cheaper than the Ace and the machine has a 5 year warranty when new. The build quality is better than the Ace as well. The down side to the F2 is it chatters and falses more than the Ace.

The Ace is a more stable machine than the F2, at least in my area. It feels a bit heavier than the F2 but the coil is good and solid too. You have a better selection of accessories to choose from. The Ace has different hunting modes programmed into it, but these are not necessary. It just eliminates various items depending on what you're looking for. It does have more sensitivity adjustments than the F2. The pinpointing can be difficult until you get the hang of it, but then it's ok.

It's just a coin toss as to which one is better, mostly personal preferences. They are both entry level detectors with limits, but they are simple, fun, and will find lots of stuff. That's the important part!

Truffleshuffle

Sep 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
HunterOfSnakes said:
What is your thought on getting things used? I see lots of ACE 250's as you said, are they good choices? What do you think about the F2 compared to the ACE?
I just bought my first detecter Ace 250. Kellyco has a pretty good deal on Ace 250's. Mine Came with a choice 1 of 2 free accessorie options and a option for a automax v4 pinpointer for 25 which I bought with my order. It cost around 240.00 total with shipping at 9.00+. the detecter and pinpointer was free shipping just had to pay shipping on the accessories. It was supposed to be shipped today from what i was told by the customer service person but I didn;t get a tracking number yet. I can't wait to get it. With what ever you choose good luck with your hunting.

OP
OP
HunterOfSnakes

HunterOfSnakes

Sep 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks a lot! This helps a lot! Thanks for all the friendly reply's, I think its going to be a hard pick between the too, but I also believe I'll have fun with either.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Welcome aboard and good luck with your hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions