When did you first realize that you were a treasure hunter?

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heck, it had to have been when I was about 5, I suppose.
My finger was up my nose and my bully cousin said, "whatya digging for?....Gold?" :D

Now I like digging for other little types of boogers... :wink:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father is a retired navy flight crewman and grew up hearing of going to many historical places before they were ever parks. He had a fisher detector back in the 60s and said he would just leave minnie balls on the ground along with pieces of cannonballs because that stuff was every where. Our house burned down in 1980 and I was 8 years old. Many treasures burnt up but I did find a few old melted bottles from my fathers collection that some what survived. From there on out I was always trying to restock the collection that we lost. Come to find out much later, we had some people that went through the house and took all the coins and stuff that survived the fire and the parrents helped then clean up the burnt coins. >:(
I now have a much bigger collection then my father ever did but you always want more. :icon_pirat:

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My first foray into the hobby had nothing to do with metal detectors.
They used to advertise these big heavy magnet covered in red rubber that
you could dip into the ocean off the end of a pier and pull up scrap
metal objects. That was my first inkling.

Then got my first Whites 6000 Di - put in the batteries,
scanned my front yard, found a 1881 Indian Head penny.
I was hooked right then and there. :thumbsup:

ConfederateGold

Tenderfoot
Feb 1, 2008
For me it was when i was about 15 living in Cincinnati and I heard tale( in the news) of two bad guys that had robbed a coin store . in the process the store owner was killed during their getaway. The Bad Guys supposedly buried the loot somewhere in Norwood Ohio, a part of Cincy where the shop was located. After being caught by the Statz Poliezi and sent to the Joint in Mansfield, The two numbskulls wouldn't tell of where they buried the 40 Thousand Dollars worth of coins to lessen their sentence (not be put to death). Anyway one of the Guys was sent to the Death Chamber and the other one Died of Cancer , both while still in Prison and the loot was never recovered. Later when I was about 17 I found about 50 Dollars worth of old Coins in between some Bushes by our local swimming pool, most dating to the early 1900's. One Quarter was sticking up from the dirt and the shine caught my eye . i unearthed the rest about 2 inches down. being a kid i spent it all on candy and nutty Buddy's at the concession stand lol. Somewhere there's alot of buried Coins to be found if their not covered over by cement by now. Chances still seem good though as most of the area remains unchanged much since i was a kid. Long Live the Treasure Hunters. Its all about the thrill of the Hunt and the excitement of a good find ! ! ! !

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was a treasure hunter until I met one! A guy met thru this forum showed me some of his finds and I found out I was merely a hobbyist. But I really have fun just puttering around with my metal detector and I am afraid I won't enjoy it as much if I take it too serious. Monty

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
When we used to go through the Taco Bell drive thru evening's before heading to the deerlease, my brother and I were about 7 & 8 years old. The drive thru over looked a parking lot and we would look out the window and there was all kinds of money shining down there. We would be rich everytime ! Funny story, eh ? LOL :hello2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I used to spend my summers on my great uncles farm in West Virginia, I would to run into the gullies after every hard rain to see if any arrow heads had been washed free.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was very young in the late 50's and early 60's I had a great-great uncle, Hiram McLain, Scot fiddle player, who spent all the time he could wanderin around the Wichita Mts. in SW Oklahoma. Particularly lookin for somethin buried at Flat Top Mountain. He was very secretive about that. Never found it as far as I know. My great-grandma and grandma told me many tales of Jesse James buried treasure, cave with the iron door, various treasure signs, and other wild tales of early Oklahoma that the average person probably wouldn't ever hear. My grandpa told me the location of every good arrowhead hunting place all across Oklahoma. I guess all that set back and percolated. I didn't realize it at the time, but that's when I became a treasure hunter. Treasure is what you believe it to be, but someday I might become a bona fide 'treasure finder'.

SvenS

Oct 13, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Makro products, as well as others. Self built Mirage PI's. The Mirage is excellent in trashy sites, unlike many PI's.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started early back in 1965? probably about 7 years old, while playing hide in seek. In the bushes, sticking out
of the ground was some jewelry. Dug and found more. Don't recall what I did with the stuff. Then in some other bushes found a big bunch of small matchbox cars and trucks, remember those going into the sewer grate (dumb). Eventually started finding buttons in the
fields where a clothing recycling plant used to be. Lots of stuff on the railroad property fields nearby. started finding money walking along the curbsides.

By 1966, moving to the suburbs, country like area, lots of old abandoned farm houses to explore. Always found cool stuff
to drag home. Several huge bottle dumps.....found an old car in the woods, wooden spoked wheels. Always dreamed about
pulling that car out of there and restoring it, that was just a dream......Painted rocks gold and dropped them into the creek.
When all of us stupid kids where down there, I would find one and shout out found gold.........

When I could afford my first detector, that sealed the deal...............

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
I metal detected long before I became a treasure hunter. In fact I didn't become a treasure hunter until last summer when I found an old cap pistol from the 50's. This to me was my first real peace of treasure because it took me back to my childhood and brought back a flood of memories. Coins and jewelery are great to find but usually don't stir my emotions like an old toy for instance. Don't get me wrong... I still love to dig a good silver coin or gold ring but something from my past means a little more to me.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, for me to consider myself a true Treasure Hunter, is when I make my first great find ..such as a gold coin...a Spanish Reale....a cache...or that ring that would just take your breath away. Until then, I'm an intermediate metal detectorist with 10 years experience who has made some nice finds over the years (a few gold rings, some nice silver coins, and other nice items). Still, I enjoy getting out there swinging the detector, the thrill of the hunt...the scenery...the exercise...and the hope that someday..I will make of the find that will make it all worthwhile...As one of the greatest Treasure Hunters of all time, Mel Fisher once said..."Today is the Day!!" When that day comes..that is when I will consider myself a true Treasure Hunter....

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newfiehunter said:
To me, for me to consider myself a true Treasure Hunter, is when I make my first great find ..such as a gold coin...a Spanish Reale....a cache...or that ring that would just take your breath away. Until then, I'm an intermediate metal detectorist with 10 years experience who has made some nice finds over the years (a few gold rings, some nice silver coins, and other nice items). Still, I enjoy getting out :thumbsup:there swinging the detector, the thrill of the hunt...the scenery...the exercise...and the hope that someday..I will make of the find that will make it all worthwhile...As one of the greatest Treasure Hunters of all time, Mel Fisher once said..."Today is the Day!!" When that day comes..that is when I will consider myself a true Treasure Hunter....

If you live for the thrill of the hunt my friend, I would say that you are a treasure hunter.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must have been about 6, and we were driving down the highway to a baseball game, and I saw a dollar bill sticking out of a little mound of gravel on the road shoulder.

I made my grandfather stop, we went back, and I had a whole dollar to blow at a ball game. At the time, this was like 4 hot dogs. Imagine that!

evelynz8735

Oct 15, 2010
GopherDaGold said:
I was in the sixth grade at St. Thomas Aquinas in Wichita, Kansas and had gotten detention (my first ever) for some silly infraction. I called my mom for a ride but being the evil witch she'd always been, (yeah it's true and I have the scars to prove it :D ) she told me to walk the thirteen miles home.
I got within a mile or so from home, my head hanging down, fearful of what was in store for me when I spotted a folded twenty dollar bill on the ground. Just as I picked it up my dad pulled up to drive me the rest of the way home. I've had my head down ever since.

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
this was my first real dabbling into "serious treasure hunting "--- the map is from nov of 1769 --it was made by english capt william fuller for lord egmont of england to show his holdings (amelia island , florida) and it surrounding waters.-- note the itty bitty isle (sandy isle) off of it is a site marked "wreck"-- this wreck must pre date nov of 1769 to be upon this map.

on oct 24th of 1715 -- english govenor alexander spotswood wrote a letter to british home sec --stanhope * -- in a P.S. at the bottom --he stated that the 1715 treasure fleet had sank and that a "barcalongo" was dispatched from havana to pick up vips and treasure and that it had sank --about 40 miles northward of st augustine--- ( the nassau sound area is about 40 miles north of nassau sound ;D)

these facts plus the fact that 1715 era items similar to those found at the southern 1715 fleets sites have in the past been found in nassau sound tells me that --the 1715 era salvage vessel is down in the sound *---sadly the state of florida --has "deemed" the area to be a "aquatic preserve area" and will not issue permits for any recovery efforts for "for profiet salvors"--oh "research permits" sure ---but not "recovering" anything and selling it .---they say that recovery would disturb the area * --however a few years back they allowed the corps of engineers to do "beach renourishment" in the exact same area --- pull the sand from the ocean floor and pump it onto the beach ( uh metal detecting is prohibited at that beach --mind you) -- but thats not "disturbing the ocean floor area"?---clearly a double standard exist --folks.

Attachments

• 16375.jpg
    16375.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 16375.jpg
    16375.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 216

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Old Town said:
At about age 5 or 6 I found a pile of broken auto glass in a vacant lot with a pal from next door. We thought we'd found diamonds. Filled our pockets and brought them home. We'd found diamonds but our parents probably found they'd raised idiots.

OT
Haha... I can relate to this story and it brought back fond memories of my childhood. With me it was a bag full of "dinosaur bones" my best buddy & I found digging around at an old abandoned pig farm... :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions