Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some years back in southern Wisconsin, an old post office site was excavated by the Wisconsin Historical Society and a 1781 Spanish reale was found. They excavated two cellars, and the coin was found, a surprise to the archaeologists.

Here is the link:
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/museum/artifacts/archives/003106.asp

My question to you that dig is, why did the reale exist where it was found? Is it that unusual to find these? Or were they in general circulation and fairly common?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's my understanding that the reale was commonplace in Colonial America and was used as legal tender until the colonies coined their own money, which I understand was silver dollar and was basically the same size, weight, etc.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were legal tender in the U.S. until the 1850s, so I don't think it is too strange to find one. They are fairly common finds in Civil War camps, even.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I had to chuckle at the part where it was a "surprise to the archaeologists" :laughing7:

On the east coast, prior to USA starting to mint their own coins, and well afterwards, the coins of the rest of the world circulated there. And of course, Spain's coins (who had most of South America, Mexico, etc...) would be amongst them, if not the largest part of the coins there in the east. They are commonly found in any place that predates about 1850 (to the "surprise" of archaeologists :o )

On the west coast, CA was a Spanish, and then a Mexican (after Mexico gained its independance from Spain, in the 1820s) colony. So reales were the primary coins here, all the way into the 1850s or '60s. Even though the SF mint got started in the early 1850s, and even though laws prohibited foreign coins after a certain point, reales kept circulating well into the '60s, or maybe even later. There was a sidewalk tearout in an old-town district near me, where a reale surfaced amongst the seateds that were found. And that town was started in the late 1860s, or early 1870s-ish.

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Spanish coins were legal tender in the U.S. until the coinage act of 1857. Reference: the Redbook.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An answer to one of your Qs is stated in your referenced article:
"Carl Truehl, one of the post masters at Alden's Corners, fought in the Mexican War in 1848, and it is possible that he brought the coin back as a souvenir. "
Don.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread