This may interest you? Its about a little discussed true TREASURE mystery!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may interest you? It's about a little discussed true TREASURE mystery!

The term “Treasure Hunting” covers a wide range of pursuits and each of us has that personal treasure quest, or at the very least, that personal area of interest where our deepest treasure hunting passions lay. For some it might be finding relics from the Civil War while others dream of finding pieces of expensive jewelry or rare coins. This is one of the truly great things about our hobby because it is something that can be fashioned completely around our personal areas of interest. Perhaps no other hobby, at least none that I can think of off the top of my head, can be applied to so many individual areas of deep interest. So if you’ll indulge me please allow me to share with you where my own highly sought prizes reside. Perhaps you might find it interesting or even be able to help me in my personal quest of these things?

Like a lot of treasure hunters out there I’ll hunt for just about anything as every time I go out into the field it provides me with another unique adventure that helps keep those treasure hunting flames burning. But my true quest resides in an area that is very seldom discussed or talked about. Now I suspect this lack of conversation and discussion is because the topic isn’t fully understood or realized and that the available information in regards to this topic is, at best, very thin. And I also suspect that given all the current obstacles of today perhaps this quest might even seem a bit unrealistic or even too uncertain to pursue. But it is my personal area of deep interest and it is something I have continued to pursue at every chance. What I’m offering below is just a quick glimpse into my personal area of deep treasure hunting interest, the first two accounts I came across several years ago and they got my juices flowing. Feel free to offer your thoughts, insights, and hopefully, your shared interest in this topic.

Documented excerpts:

Florida, Fontaneda (written in 1575):
“They were sending us to Spain to be educated when we were shipwrecked on the Florida coast; as well as the Fleet from New Spain…..”

“The country of the King of Ais and of Jaega is very poor. It contains neither gold nor silver mines, and, to tell the truth, it is only the sea which enriches it, since many vessels laden with precious metals are shipwrecked there; such as the Farfan, and the Howeker.”

“…That he was only a sailor on one of the shipwrecked vessels of the fleet, and totally ignorant of the fate of the rest until after he had talked with the Indians who went to the coast of ais and returned with very considerable riches, in the form of ingots of gold, sacks of Spanish coins, and quantities of merchandise…..”

“,,,to speak of the wealth which the Indians found in bars of gold and Mexican jewelry belonging to the shipwrecked passengers, amounting to more then a million. The chief retained the best part of it for himself, and divided the remainder among the Indians of Ais, of Jaega, of Guacata, of Mayajuaca, and of Mayaca. Most of the vessels or caravels, as I stated before, which had been shipwrecked there were from Cuba and Honduras….”

Florida; Le Moyne (Written in 1564):
“They also reported that he (King Calos or Carlos) possessed a great store of gold and silver, and that he kept in a certain village in a pit not less than a man’s height in depth, and as large as a cask……”

“They said further, that, when the women met for the purpose of dancing, they were, hanging at their girdles, flat plates of gold as large as quoits, and in such numbers that the weight fatigued and inconvenienced them in dancing; and that the mew were similarly loaded. The greater part of this wealth, they were of the opinion, came from Spanish ships, of which numbers are wrecked in the strait: the rest from trade between the king and other chiefs in the neighborhood. Calos is on a river forty or fifty miles beyond the promontory of Florida that looks toward the south.”

There are other documented accounts in regards to these early Spanish and Florida Indian treasures, and this is where my deepest treasure hunting passion lays, to find any of it within reach that might still remain. In having long since encountered, and also realizing, the full scope of the obstacles before me, (i.e., modernization, limited or restricted access to areas of interest, etc.,) to me these items are considered top prize above all else. This entire era fascinates me to no end, many of the items having traveled from distant lands only to be lost on the coast of Florida and scattered about the region by the hands of ancient Indian civilizations. What a rich and fascinating history! Just sharing my passion.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: This may interest you? It's about a little discussed true TREASURE mystery!

My Process in Motion

It all started with a wall covered with large sheets of clear Lexan, behind this clear Lexan was mounted an outlined map of the southern 2/3 of Florida, including the Keys, then using early sources all known natural waterways, recorded landmarks, etc., are then added on the first layer of clear Laxan.

Lexan #2: The next step requires the endless reading of every source possible so that you can best locate those villages that were known or suspected to be the resident villages of the residing Indian kings during the period in question. Then to this all other known or suspected villages are then added to the map.

Lexan #3: Step three involves the locating, or general/suspected locating, of all the known shipwrecks that are said to have been wrecked along the Florida coast during the period in question, and especially those that were reported to have been looted by the Florida Indians.

With just these three layers of clear Lexan you can start to gather a sense of how these looted treasures “may have” traveled from the coast to those various suspected inland locations.

Step 4 requires the studying of the native Indian cultures and their interactions with the outside world, especially the Spanish. From this it makes it possible to assess what might have possibly become of these treasures once they were in Indian hands.

Once all of this is embarked upon you quickly gather the notion that the task at hand isn’t very promising, especially given the amount of modernization and natural change that has taken place upon the Florida landscape over the last 500 years. At best you end up with a few choice beaches to hunt and few scraps of private land that you may, (or more likely not), be granted access. But I assure that these items do exist and that many of them are still out there to be found. And so the not so promising quest continues! Which brings about the following question…..”Have I been single WAY too long?” :laughing7: :dontknow:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_pirat: Arrrgh, The Spanish, hearing of other tribes with wealth, formed a force of soldiers who went to the villages and plundered them. After enslaving all who were not killed they loaded the treasure aboard the next fleet and sent it along with the surviving Indians to Spain where they were hung and the gold given to the King.

I have two unmarried very beautiful daughters that would divert your cluttered mind away from such trivial persuits as Treasure Hunting or saving money. Being a bit high maintenance they may be more than you are looking for. :laughing9: :laughing9:

G'luck Mate! :icon_pirat:

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

Being a born and raised man myself, I am absolutely fascinated with old Spanish/Florida history as well. Florida had been heavily developed, to a certain point. It remains a very rural state north of Orlando, and it is the central and northward areas as well as the adjacent coasts east and west that have seen the most Spanish activity. I once worked for a man who used to do land surveying around the Ocala area and he once worked on a large tract searching for boundary markers. He expected to find old brass/steel/bronze markers, but what he found completely blew his mind! Instead of your traditional old American markers, what he found marking the boundary were links from ship chains! In his research he found that the Spanish had used a certain length of ship chain to measure land during their surveys (I have forgotten the details mathematical layout) and it is by this method that we hold our current method of land measurement to this day! At least that is how he had explained the story to me, I have no clue as to how to verify his claims.

I absolutely bet my last dollar that the natives did recover treasure from the shallower wrecks off the coast, and it is very likely these treasure collections remain buried somewhere, but that is the 6 million dollar question....where? Would it be buried near a old village location? Or would this wealth be buried with the chief upon his death? If this wealth was buried with a chief(s), kiss it goodbye because all the burial sites and mounds are heavily protect. I once saw police show up and detain 3 teenagers for being out in the woods and hanging out at one of the smaller burial grounds in Pembroke pines right behind a housing development, a site that very few knew was a burial ground (no signs marking the spot, and was a recent discovery by developers). It is very worth the time to research the old village locations in rural Florida and there are many located right under current homes out in the country. Folks in North Florida are very friendly, old southern folk and you can get permission to detect and search. Digging in Florida is an absolute breeze, being mostly top sand, unless you hit limestone deposits that run shallow in some areas.

If you have any more questions, just ask. There are a lot of highly knowledgeable salty dogs on this board who kno more about Spanish/Florida history than you or I could hope to learn in 4 lifetimes!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

White Feather said:
:icon_pirat: Arrrgh, The Spanish, hearing of other tribes with wealth, formed a force of soldiers who went to the villages and plundered them. After enslaving all who were not killed they loaded the treasure aboard the next fleet and sent it along with the surviving Indians to Spain where they were hung and the gold given to the King.

I have two unmarried very beautiful daughters that would divert your cluttered mind away from such trivial persuits as Treasure Hunting or saving money. Being a bit high maintenance they may be more than you are looking for. :laughing9: :laughing9:

Very true, that is another aspect to where all that native-recovered gold went, the Spanish did raid the native villages often. Hernando De Soto being the worst of the bunch.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

White Feather said:

:laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The more I read about this period the more I am convinced that there are still a lot of these random caches out there. The Spanish did make attemtps to recover those looted treasures they heard about but it appears that their efforts were only mildly successful. Some of the biggest problems was that these items were dispersed over a vast area and the language barriers they encounted often lead to life ending brutalities before the solution. In many cases it appears that these brutalities didn't have the effect the Spanish were hoping for, instead of instilling fear and deterring the looting it only served to enrage the Indians and inspire a greater level of hate. As a result these early Spanish explorers were sent on wild goose chases all over the interior. For many years Menendez didn't fair much better with the tribes in the south during his occupation at St. Augustines. Shipwrecks were still being looted and those prizes continued to be sorted and distributed among the south Florida Indians. Just how much of this loot was in form of treasure is unknown but from what I have researched it appears that a great amount was harvested from these shipwrecks through the first half of the 16th century, just how much of this was actually recovered appears to have been very small by comparison. Since archeologist have unearthed some of this gold and silver at dig sights it only serves as proof that Spanish failed to gather it all, and there are also surviving accounts of these prizes having been hidden in secret. And "if" King Carlos did have a pit of gold and silver "the size of a cask" then as of yet no recorded evidence of it's recovery has ever been found, which is rather odd given the favorable graces this would have offered the finder from the King of Spain. This gold and silver and jewelry came to shore in many different ways and in varying quantities and given the limited resources and hostilities it would have been impossible to even have recieved knowledge of a large portion of it. From what I have researched I think it's safe to say that there still has to be a great deal of it scattered about the lower 2/3 of Florida, with most if being in the lower half. It's a "needle in the hayfield" type quest, but it sure is an interesting pursuit.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1556 (several ships lost)
"The Indians of the King of Ais have taken more then a million pesos in gold and silver and much jewelry near Cape Canaveral."

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coligny 1562 (Upon entering the St. John's River inlet)
"Indians wore ornaments of gold, silver, copper, pearls, and turquoise, one pearl was as large as an acorn."

From 1530 to 1591 over 100 ships are documented to have been lost in Florida waters. Just how many of them were accessible to looting is unknown but clearly the Indians did loot these shallower wrecks on a regular basis. From the above account we can also safely assume that these treasures were not isolated to just the Indian Kings, but rather they were likely to have been more widely scattered about among all those in favor. Somewhere in my huge mess of research (only been digging it all out again in recent weeks) there is also a few accounts of these scattered treasures routinely being buried/hidden in secret, much the same way one has always hidden his valuables in secret. Not only did these Indians attempt to hide these items from the Spanish but even within these early Indian cultures it appears there was little trust among neighbors.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not sure where this information came from (no source provided), or of it's accuracy, but......

"Menendez was successful in signing a treaty, or agreement, with the Calusa Indians to trade gold for food and other supplies his troops needed to survive."

If this is true, which I question, then it sure puts an added & interesting twist on things. Anyone ever encountered this type of "documented" information before?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread