maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scaredycat? Not really! If you dont feel comfortable, then dont hunt alone. It takes time to feel comfortable, and to know when something is not right. I am a good sized guy, and so not a lot of problems, but when I first started, there were times I didnt feel good about a place, but it usually wears off. I have taken a friend with me who doesnt detect, and it would have been better to stay at home and watch the grass grow. If you have a friend, then they should be as interested in fishing as you, otherwise, they are not much help, especially if they sit in the car and looked bored.

I detect some beaches early in the morning, and there are some very weird people there, so I have to keep one eye on them all the time. When the sun comes up and more people are on the beach, then no problem. I really dont think that taking a weapon is the best solution, at which point are you going to shoot someone? Probably going into an area where there are homeless people sleeping and where other things are going on, isnt the best place, but then a weapon wont help you much there either, or a friend. Even in a tot lot, things can happen.

Its like diving alone, at first its uncomfortable, but you learn where to go, what to watch out for, and how to plan your dive to be safe.

B

Bev

I agree with every post. The best part of detecting is I can do it alone. The scariest part is when I detect alone. I would rather hide myself in the woods away from prying eyes but then there are the hunters and also if someone spots you walking in alone, it could turn ugly.
Cell phone is crucial. I do carry pepper spray too.
I had one guy start "chatting" with me and it didn't feel right. I pretended that my phone was on vibrate and answered a fake call from my husband...told him exactly where I was like he had just pulled up to meet me. I told "nobody" that there was a guy talking to me that said he lived nearby and the guy said he had to go and left.
I try to tell my husband where I am and call him when I'm leaving. He says it's easier to cash in the life insurance if he knows where the body is. Now that's love!
I'm finding that at first I though I had to drive far away to find spots. Lately I've realized that there are plenty of places close by that I've overlooked. I've also realized that I know enough people with old homes to keep me busy (and safe) for quite a while!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extractor---I hope your avatar wasn't of a lost detector who couldn't find his way out of the woods--lol---very cool

thanks everyone....reading these experiences sure help me

and Bev you convinced me to carry my cell phone. I have a cell phone but never turn it on....I have no idea why but I hate cell phones lol but I think it will be in my wasit belt when detecting....cause if anythign happens at least I hope to be able to push a few buttons and get help.
very smart idea using that phone as your safety net.

B

Bev

FarmerChick said:
Extractor---I hope your avatar wasn't of a lost detector who couldn't find his way out of the woods--lol---very cool

and Bev you convinced me to carry my cell phone. I have a cell phone but never turn it on....I have no idea why but I hate cell phones lol but I think it will be in my wasit belt when detecting....cause if anythign happens at least I hope to be able to push a few buttons and get help.
In real estate they tell us to take in pepper spray, never let anyone walk behind you and dial 911 in your phone- but don't hit SEND- while you're in a house with people you don't know. They way you're not fumbling with numbers if you need help quickly. They also tell us to have someone call you 10 minutes in so that you can say you're just leaving the house and act as if that person is expecting you immediately.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all great advice Bev

better safe than sorry right?

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good advice Mackay

yes there is a Charlotte detecting club and it is about 1 hr away from me lol

I am thinking of joining but not sure if my time problems will alllow me to be a member and truly participate. Hmm...but taking more time for myself never seems like a bad idea lol

thanks!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FarmerChick said:

Thanks ! I never thought to ask him what he was doing when he got to be that way LoL :laughing7:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poor dude---at least he had shades til the end :tongue3:
he sure didn't leave any gold teeth behind

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
that is all great advice, if i were you i'd go with the cell phone and pepper spray for a backup. might not be such a good idea to have any kind of firearm esp. if your on any type of school property or even centain parks that might have the "no firearm" rule. always be aware of your surroundings and if ya have any "funny" feelings about an area just leave. sometimes gut feelings can be right.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where in N CAL? I'll be glad to go with you .... or anyone that needs a hunting buddy. Cheer up. NO place is off limits simply because you have bad "VIBES". I'll help you with that .... 209-728-3316.... Terry... (or Judy will answer). We'll be there for you. TTC

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree tho dogpound---when the gut gives me a feeling, I listen lol

sorry TerryC
we couldn't be further apart lol I am NC (north carolina)
but thank you so much for your offer---it is so nice other hunters offer to buddy up!
I am checking into a local group near Charlotte.

B

Bev

I'm not a gun owner, but not against it either.
I do believe that if you carry a gun you must be mentally prepared to use it. Although it sounds basic- your life is in danger so in defense you shoot, but I would think that afterwards it could cause some mental turmoil from inflicting injury or death regardless of the justification. I myself would be more inclined to cause temporary discomfort in order to escape more than perminent injury.
That's just me but I'm a big wimp.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The last time I checked, you don't have to PARTICIPATE in club activities, only pay your dues. Initially, you'd be joining for reasons of personal security; later, you can decide on the level of participation you wish to exert. If it were my wife I'd consider those dues as inexpensive insurance for her security and peace of mind when she's 'out in the field'.
Don.......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I had a friend that showed realestate. She always carried a small .25 automatic. I told her if it ever gets down to shooting, empty the gun, those bullets are small. If I am in a remote area I carry a small Texas Defender which is a two barrel derringer in .45 Colt. It is rated just below the .44 mag. in power. It also fires .410 ammo like shot for snakes. The .410 in 000 buckshot will take out 2 or 4 legged attackers along with crawling ones. Now in a park situation I use a 6" probe that resembles a thick scribe. That's all I need in the parks. The cell phone trick will work well if they think you are talking to someone and you take their picture. This would deter jest about anyone. Don't let the bad guys spoil your fun!

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
When MD'ing during hunting season, where orange..its your land too ( I kill Bambi's and them coins)
I feel women shouldn't go at alone...call me what you will..
When going to a sketchy area, go armed..

B

Bev

Funny, I got kicked out of an area by a hunter the other day, said I wasnt allowed to take anything out of the woods like that. I was thinking, like Bambi? But he had a shotgun so I shut up!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a gun owner, however I understand that carrying a gun is a very serious matter. Obviously, if you carry it, you MUST be ready and able to use it. However.......

You really need to know what the law requires of you in your state. Every state treats seif-defense differently. For example, if you live in Iowa, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Maryland, Virginia or Washington D.C. you are under the "duty to retreat" law which can be very complicated in it's interpretation and states that deadly force can only be used only when retreat is not possible.

Of course if you happen to live in a state like Texas that has the "stand your ground" law and the "Castle law" self-defense becomes a lot less complicated. If you know what I mean.

Happy Hunting y'all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread