Need advice about buying a Gold detector

junglejim

Jun 12, 2010
I am needing a gold detector and am wondering about ground balancing issues. I know that auto GB units are available but was wondering about the manual GB units like the older Fisher Gold bugs and Garretts Gold Scorpion. Do the manual units require constant, time consuming re-balancing as the soil changes? Do the auto GB units really keep up with the ground as it changes? I hope some of you with experience can help me decide. I prefer buying a used unit to save money. Thanks

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the mxt tracks the ground with a number in the prospect mode....

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be careful buying used ok? There are no warranties on used machines. You never know what the last guy did to it. Then your really going to be out my friend.
If your serious about getting into Gold searching then you are just going to have to spend some cash for a good machine. Trust me, I have been through it. I have found that the Minelab GPX series is the way to go. I know, I know, it's a lot of money, but you wont regret it in the long run. They seem to be the easiest to control in heavier mineralization.
Take care!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold stinger sounds like a 5900 at 15kHz in stead of 6.598kHz with the re tune button and Manuel ground balance and the tr channel....sounds like a analog set up....I would by a white's gmt it's the best for the money...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread