Not-For-Profit Treasure Hunting??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been thinking about a not-for-profit treasure hunting company possibly called 'The Treasure Foundation'.

Not sure if this has ever been done outside of Universities but the concept I’m thinking about would be a group that works on finding historically significant shipwrecks, land sites, etc. As a non-profit they could ask for donations to keep the working moving forward and not have to worry about making a profit. Just finding artifacts and preserving them for future generations. Most of the people working on these projects would be volunteers: retired archaeologists, undergrad/graduate students, etc.

Mission of the group would be to turn over any significant finds over to the local museums and items such as large groups of coins or large multiple finds: bottles, dishes, etc. could be sold to supplement donations and any extra funds will be donated to different historical causes around the world. Artifact preservation, historical building restoration, historical research, document preservation, etc. I know of course wherever the group would be working there would be special rules of how the finds are divided and handled.

When looking for donations they could look to art collectors, history buffs, antique collectors, etc. They could donate money or items for auction. I think the group could also get some corporate funding and donations of goods and services. Maybe look into buying a decommissioned ship from the Navy for a research vessel to keep the initial purchase cost low. I’m sure the retrofitting would cost quite a bit.

Could build a show through the Discovery channel about the company and its discoveries (if any). Maybe a traveling show of any interesting finds. This would generate interest in the projects and hopefully help with donations.

I know something like this is more of pipe dream but I would love to hear others thoughts and suggestions. The idea was inspired by Clive Cussler, Odyssey Marina and T-Net I thought it would be a cool concept.

NJ

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Great idea. There could be a large interest right here in NJ alone. So much history being paved over every day.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont forget you would have to deal with the politics of it..

Sounds like a good idea otherwise... :icon_thumleft:
John

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ticm said:
Great idea. There could be a large interest right here in NJ alone. So much history being paved over every day.

I'm already involved with a group that does this in NJ on a smaller scale then what I'm thinking. The group I work with does mostly American Revolution sites but has done other digs.

http://www.bravodigs.org

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
johnnyblaze said:
Dont forget you would have to deal with the politics of it..

Sounds like a good idea otherwise... :icon_thumleft:
John

John,
My thinking is that were not trying to turn a profit so we can be more flexible when working with local groups or governments. Cut back on some of the political red tape...I would hope. They may also be more likely to work with a non-profit then a for profit group. This may open up sites that are not open to other groups like Odyssey.
NJ

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
Hoang Ho Consulting Treasure/recycle Div has been studying the technicalities of Non-Profit vs For_ profit and our interest in a new corporation. ( Our old one became obsolete in 2003)

There is a perspective that the Non-Profits have that is advantageous, but where does the money go?
Non-Profits give $$ to Colleges and Universities and the $$ get spent in other ways.

For Profit companies regularly give away large amounts of $$ to Non-Profits that they may or may not have a part interest in.

WE are trying to be a For Profit consultant to the larger Non-Profits.
We have the type of intangible assetts that they are looking for, but it will probably take For-profit companies to get the work done.

Consider Hoang Ho - CEO as an intersted contributor to the Edu sector in this regard. We know that some of our located sites would be considered Edu and/or Govt work sites also.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meancosmalltalk search tresure/recycle div.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far all my treasure hunting has been non profit or at least minimum wage if you add up the value of all the things I have found! Just kidding. I know of several guys who have donated time to help the police search for discarded weapons or small valuable item and evidence with no pay. Most of the time they have been helpful too. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions