Having Just One Detector Like Wille Nelsons G-Tar?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Having Just One Detector Like Wille Nelson's G-Tar?

I've been curious about this question. NOW, ELIMINATING THE NEWBIE'S FIRST DETECTORS and even the acquired detectors over the years due to the economy and such...if you have one detector that you will never get rid of,,,"Why do THunters keep buying different MDetectors?" You have to LEARN each one, so if you have the best operating machine already, isn't it better logic to just save the bucks and become expert on the one single detector instead of feeding the industry with multiple, personal detectors?" I read all over the place where detectorist are now buying this new detector and I ask, "Isn't it far better to keep on becoming even better with the one you are so good with?"

I can see some interest in trying a few, but some hunters seem to stack up quite the collection of tectors, like women buy shoes. A metal detector ain't gonna find more targets unless, 1. It is a class act machine, 2. You totally know the machine. Why continue to keep on buying more detectors? After all, there isn't a collector's value in these things, so unless you happen to like spending money...aren't you subtracting from your finds by mixing in purchases of new detectors?

I shoot pool, and there is one cue I want for the ultimate, yet I am guilty of buying cues. I have many, but lots are increasing in value. The main thing about this comparison though is that I'll always shoot my best pool game with only one cue. Yea, it happens sometimes that it's not the prized cue I cherish, but a new cue I just got. Metal detectors though are just cheaply made electronics when you really put your non biased opinions on them. To me, it makes a lot more sense to do a lot of research, try several metal detectors maybe, but then settle with just one particular machine. My peers in pool are always asking me, "Why do you need to buy another cue?" That's a very good question IMO.

Maybe people have lots of money and just want to "play." It really makes very little common sense though if you think about it." I own a V3i, not that happy with it at all, and I may unload it in time for a new detector, but right now, I'll press on to be the best with it. I also have a 5900 which was given to me. I plan on keeping both today, 5900 as a backup, and the V3i until I finally say "Enough, it's all fluff and not much state of the art afterall."

It all seems a lot more sane to stick with one machine you KNOW REALLY WELL, instead of being a metal detector junkie. Seems to me that maybe the independent MD dealers within these groups like to spur more sales, but for you and for me,,,does it make good any sense? I also forgot to exclude the specialty machines, underwater gear, pulsed models, and the such. I am talking about the general purpose detectors.

I bought the V3i thinking that it was the best and I'd learn it at any cost, and never need to upgrade again. I'm reconsidering that opinions a lot, except for the idea that it only takes ONE machine, not a closet full, not keeping the V3i either. TIA for your replies and opinions. martin

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Re: Having Just One Detector Like Wille Nelson's G-Tar?

i think i just like that "new detector" smell ;D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Willie mastered the basics of Trigger and then infused his own input . They have made millions together . What more needs to be said ?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't answer for anyone else, but I have a primary machine and a backup that I use regularly. I also have another I use for nugget hunting.

All the rest I've either gotten in trades or for next to nothing. These I use for friends that don't have a machine but want to learn.

Sounds funny, but you say the values never go up. I bought a machine back in the early 80s just because it was light & had a shaft that was three sections & would extend out enough to comfortably search the ceilings in abandoned houses. I paid $49.95 for it new. I finally sold it last year for $70. I know a couple of guys that kind of collect detectors like some collect cars or motor cycles. One guy has several some he only uses in cruddy locations, he figures it's better to trash an older machine than the machine he got last year. Hey! We're all humans there's no chance of explaining or making sense of us. ;D ::)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Have my Sovereign since 1999

If I Buy a new one it will be Either another
1999 Version (XS-2 Pro)
or an updated Sovereign.

Havn't seen anything on the market
that intrests me enough to try these days.

I won't even hunt with a loaner while mine is
in the shop unless it's a Sovereign.

Sign me
stubborn

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
I Have my Sovereign since 1999

If I Buy a new one it will be Either another
1999 Version (XS-2 Pro)
or an updated Sovereign.

Havn't seen anything on the market
that intrests me enough to try these days.

I won't even hunt with a loaner while mine is
in the shop unless it's a Sovereign.

Sign me
stubborn
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft: :hello2: :thumbsup: And did you buy all the coils just in case they went out of production after you used it for a week?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL I have the
15" W.O.T., 10", 8" & 5"

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, one good detector that you know well. I have used an explorer since about 2000 and the old style 10.5" stock coil and I don't see that changing any time soon. I don't use anything else, period. To clarify it's not the exact same detector or coil, otherwise I would probably be swinging a dead detector and toast coil. ;D I've had several XS models, a few IIs, and now an SE. They all have the same guts so it's the same unit, just a few upgrades they added along the way. My opinion is you can't own several units and tune your ears to all three the same way you can with one. Heck I don't even change my settings I'm such a believer in being in total sync to a unit.

PS... I used to play a lot of pool too and now you have me considering picking up a "jump detector" to get around those iron targets that are in the way. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread