Relic Hunting

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not watch this show, however, recently there was a program on the National Geographic channel about treasure hunters. It was divided up into three parts with one being a Brazilian gold prospector hydro sluicing illegally, another part with a "famous" treasure hunter who was hunting the "Black Bull" cache and a third part I don't remember right now. The Black Bull cache portion was just ridiculous. There was a party of 4 men on horseback searching a rugged mountainous region. They would look for signs carved on trees and rocks and compare them to some hand written pages that indexed thousands of symbols and their meanings. Near the end of the program, they actually come to a tree that has a black bull symbol carved on it with a directional marking. They follow it and it takes them to a cave. Two of them went in the cave, with metal detectors, and they had to use ropes to get down in to the lower level of the cave, which they did expect as the legend/map they had showed it was a lower cave that the treasure was buried in. But when the two men get down in the lower level, it did not show them using the metal detectors or actually doing any real looking around. There was a small stream flowing through the bottom of the cave and the narrator basically says there is nothing here, the 2 men say the same thing, and then they go back up and the main leader says "I have been looking for this for 40 years and I will keep on looking."..... I am like, jeez, what the heck??!!
Never saw a detector used in the water or anywhere else in either the top or lower cave and they just gave up?... did not make sense to me at all. If I had found that black bull symbol and marker and it took me to that cave, I would have spent days searching every nook and cranny...and the show never even showed them using the metal detectors ONCE down in the cave...

Sounds like a crock of HOOEY to me.....all just for show. :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well you didn't miss much with the Confederate gold show either. He kept reading things into carvings on the trees and then he got out a whites TM808 detector and carried it across the cemetery, but I did not really see him actually use it. It looks more like a production than an actual hunt. Frank

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came across this post on the HC message board...seems he wasn't too impressed with it either. :laughing7:

I'm a War Between The States Reenactor (Civil War Reenactor). I use to live eat and sleep the History Channel. At one time the HC was a good channel to watch at one time. Full of facts and a channel you could actually watch and learn something. But anymore with the stupid shows like Ax Men,Pawn Stars,Top gear and this stupid show Brad Meltzer's Decoded as well may others, its sickning...

First if Brad Meltzer is such a historian and treasure hunter then why is he not out and about doing the so called fabricated investigation.
Secondly after watching this episode on my VOD tonight of the Confederate Gold. I swear if that bald headed idiot used the term rebel gold one more time, I think I was going to blow a head gasket.
Its Confederate gold/treasury of the Confederate States.

Now on to more of my ranting. How over acted and scripted can the 3 stooges be? Christine,Buddy,Scott called experts In their Bio here at the HC website. What makes the experts at decoding anything but a script full of BS....?
Christine and Buddy with their shock and awwww over dramatic look and gestures is silly ans make them look like clowns.
As someone else said on this forum. The first shot says Danville Va when they are actually in Richmond Va.
HC you cant even get that right?

The scene where they are at the County Line Diner and Buddy says “ You feel like a Yankee in Confederate Territory?”. I'll just say I wish I was there having lunch when he said that. The whole crew would have got a (__I__) chewing.....

Now on to this Bob Brewer.
http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/rebeltreasure.nationaltreasure2.html
OK he is somewhat of a history buff/treasure hunter and from what I read up on him he has some creditability about him. Maybe so. But HC makes him come off as a goofball.

Then there is the danger part. He is on someones property and he is run off. He comes back 4 months later and someone else shows u with a AK-47 and a AR-15 in the truck. Duh! You think maybe you was trespassing BOB? But oh now Christine shows the shock and awwww look and says a “AK-47 in a pickup?”. Oh that automatically makes them Knights of the Golden Circle. Hmmm I have both a AK-47 and a AR-15 how do I join the Knights of the Golden Circle?
Most likely BOB was just trespassing and the people who showed up was a bunch of guys who likes their big boy toys and wanted to make a statement. Or maybe Bob you was near someones pot patch or White Liquor Still...
Oh and I love later in the show how baldy makes the ties between the KGC Sentinels and today's Armed Militia's
Then there is the Holly Trees in Greenhill Cemetery and the Holly Trees.

The oldest known Holly Tree is 144 years old . Do the math HC and everyone......
And the 8 sided gazebo. Ah yes the famous gazebo that has been in place for aprox 145 years? NOT!
And the misspelling of Saylers Creek on the headstone. Please shoot me now....
And you have the oh no someone has messed with the iron railing around the grave in the woods.
Nuff said. Im done LOL!

Listen I do believe there is lost (or was lost) Confederate Gold. I grew up within a hour and half of Danville.
I do believe there was a Knights of the Golden Circle
both of these are facts.
I do believe Bob Brewer has found some treasure and maybe has some credible insight to the history of the lost gold.
But this show is pure silly and is a insult to history.
HC get back to doing what you originally was. A channel about History not Comedy.
My problem is not the story about the lost gold and coins. It's not about Bob Brewer. It's with HC turning what could have been a more authentic topic for a show to a Ripley's like freak show.
Stop this nonsense HC and get back to doing what you was created for. History.

PERIOD!

Last Edited By: Reenactor1861 01/06/11 22:56:52. Edited 6 times.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
got to thinking bout something.. the point of mis-spelling Sailor's Creek.... most people in that time weren't educated and so maybe they didn't know how to spell it right to start with and just spelled it how it sounded.... people do that a lot still today...... just a thought!

K

Kentucky Kache

minton7 said:
got to thinking bout something.. the point of mis-spelling Sailor's Creek.... most people in that time weren't educated and so maybe they didn't know how to spell it right to start with and just spelled it how it sounded.... people do that a lot still today...... just a thought!

Maybe. But then again, Sailor's Creek, which is the misspelling, does anagram to "Rail S," or "Rail So." It doesn't use all the letters, but it's in there.

K

Kentucky Kache

Franklin said:
It is not misspelled. It was Sailor's Creek at the time of the Civil War. Go to the Sailor's Creek website and look at the photos of the battlefield. A monument erected there in 1928 by the UDC plainly says in huge letters Sailor's Creek. It does not mean anagram for rail south. Why would Bob Brewer get this part of his KGC codes right when everything else he said was wrong.

1. Sailor's Creek---------rail south
2. Danville Confederate Monument first monument erected---------Hollywood Cemetery was 9 years earlier
3. three chains exactly 264 ft. to gazebo------------exactly 240 ft. 6 in.
4. Heart Shape around monument----------actually if you look at the bottom portion it does not come together------it is a sheath of a sword and confederate road is the blade pointing due north---always deviate to the end.
5. symbols on holly trees by KGC---------wrong they were just symbols and the three holly trees were 45, 85 and 116 years old.
6. No treasure here within 18 miles says Bob Brewer------wrong again I found 20 coins within 30 feet from his "ghost" tree. There is also a whole lot more treasure in that cemetery.
7. His grandfather dug up the treasure at the confederate monument-----wrong again

Everything said and done in that show by Brad Meltzer's Decoded on the History Channel was purely ficticous and made up. A child could have found more treasure. I hope all of Bob Brewer's other claims of success with KGC codes is not wrong like this show was. As for the $200,000 KGC treasure Bob Brewer claims to have found------------"He said he found the treasure's location by KGC symbols, contacted a friend to get permission ---- when he went back he found an empty hole------NO TREASURE and he never has found a treasure worth anything except the cash he makes from the sells of his stupid books.

Who put up the sign? I'm not saying he was right, I'm just saying that is does anagram as Rail S, or Rail So. You can check it for yourself. Right or wrong, I don't think Bob Brewer was out to find treasure in front of the History channel cameras. How long would he have kept it?

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
The Gold is Gone Just like the (hair on my head ) but you can go ane look for it you may even find my hair.. ;D ;D

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might live in Michigan but Im hoping I find it