Silver coins in Florida soil

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Howdy, new fellow here from the Dover-Plant City area of Florida. Am enjoying the new hobby and using a borrowed Garrett GTA (have a white's XLT eSeries on layaway). Wondering if most hunters in Florida, when locating buried silver coins (old or new), find that they are very discolored. Also, would a hunter want to use tarnex or any other cleaner on the coin to attempt to clean them? I realize that very old coins would loose collector value if they are cleaned, but was wondering anyway. A coin dealer told me that very old silver coins (1800's) found in this area have been so damaged by the "acid" in the soil that they are not worth anything in collector value. Unfortunately, I have not had the good fortune to find anything pre 1964 yet, but have been eagerly trying to do so. Been checking yards of some 1914 houses in Plant City (with permission) and best I could do for now was a 1920 wheat in not so great condition. At least it did not melt away like the modern (junk) penny of today, Ha. Thanks for any responses. Might be interested in hunting with a club or others when time permits.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :hello: Lot's of good info on this site, should be very helpful to you.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first silver I found with a MD was in northern FL, a shiny '41 Merc, was found with a Garrett BFO in 1978 on a high bank beside the Suwannee River that would not get flooded. The second was a '42 quarter much closer to the river, that often flooded. It was black. The tannic acid from decaying vegatation is the culprit. I found that soil near a water course that is often saturated with water will have tarnished coins, especially if the water course is "black water". On the hill in dry sandy soil the coins were shiny.
Robin

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Thank you both for the replies. I will try to hunt some sandy areas next as there are some close. Pulled up some nickels and quarters from the parking lot of Coquina beach south of Bradenton last Sunday and they were corroded green. At least they were modern. Good Hunting to ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread