Asking Permission

M

MiniMe

Every day I drive by older homesites and fields that I have been drooling over and would really love to hunt. It drives me crazy because I just don't know what to say to ask for permission to hunt places I see. Some homes are abandoned and finding the owner is difficult also. Just driving onto someones property makes me very nervous. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I guess you have to be a good salesman or good BSer :laughing7: It's not hard for me as I have lots of experience in selling myself. What I normally do is first introduce myself and tell them where I live and that I grew up around here (I usually hunt locally) I tell them what I want to do and that I will leave the place in better condition when I leave than when I arrived. I also tell them I won't touch or disturb anything and that I respect the rights's of the owner. You will get yes's and some No's. That's just human nature. I had one lady who came out to greet me but after telling her what I wanted to do she said, "NO" But in a rude way. You also get people who don't even know what you want to do. In general, be nice and look them in the eye. You have to sell yourself and sometimes it's hard. But don't get discouraged. We hate to hear no but it's going to happen. Good luck. And welcome to the NEt, Ron

Didn't realize that was you Mini :notworthy: Heck, you live in a good state to hunt. I was in Boonesboro, Md a few months ago and was drooling at all of the old houses that small town had. Lot's of history there. Good luck

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go up to the door knock and tell them who you are and that your intest in finding old relics and that you would be intested in detecting their yard or property. Tell them you are willing to show them what you find. Then if they let you hunt at the end of your hunt show them and then ask them if they would like anything that you have found.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiniMe said:
Every day I drive by older homesites and fields that I have been drooling over and would really love to hunt. It drives me crazy because I just don't know what to say to ask for permission to hunt places I see. Some homes are abandoned and finding the owner is difficult also. Just driving onto someones property makes me very nervous. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. :)
To find abandoned house land owners you can contact the County Public Records room or they might have a website you can go to. Tell them what you are looking for but keep why you want this information to yourself, this is between you and the land owner, county workers love to tell people no.

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain on this issue. I use to drive up, stop and pull away. I did not feel comfortable at all. Someone on the forum told me, "Whats the worst that can happen?" "They will tell you no." I thought about that and if I never asked then the answer would never be known and the property never hunted. This was true until I seen another person detecting on property that I was to scared to ask. Lesson learned. I try and catch people outside, maybe cutting grass or something of that nature. I introduce myself and the hobby and reassure them I will not damage their property. Knock on wood, I have received more yes's than no's. Good Luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure your in a great mood when you ask.

try to get them up there in that Cloud & great mood with you
Before & During asking.

Compliment the property, talk about the history,
your hobby And show you love it in your Voice.
ask them What they know of the History,
if they go off talking about something else
Show Intrest. Don't be in a rush to ask
& Get away from them if they appear Lonely
or Big talkers.

Most people do not want to Shoot somone
who is in a Great mood.
If they do; Show your Disappointment With a Quick Frown,
Smile again & Say Ok thanks anyway ! If you havn't already,
ask if they know any place nearby where you
could hunt,maybe do so.

but either way, Be ready to hunt.
Don't always expect permission
for a future hunt to still be there.

as I said it's harder to say no to
somone on a Cloud (The day you ask)

But give them a few Days, Weeks
to mull it over, talk to others about your Request,
& Somone or Something
may convince them to change their
Mind, & Run you off when you finally get there to hunt.

Don't be the first one to bring up
signing contracts or waivers.
unless they ask for one.

if they use liability as a reason not,
explain to them, you are one of
those people who feel you could never
blame somone else for your mistakes.

you can at that point mention
you would be willing to sign a waiver if necessary.

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

crazyjarhead said:
Didn't realize that was you Mini :notworthy: Heck, you live in a good state to hunt. I was in Boonesboro, Md a few months ago and was drooling at all of the old houses that small town had. Lot's of history there. Good luck

:laughing7: My point exactly. I drool every day over the places that I pass by every day. I do live in a great area, but getting up the nerve to ask is my problem. But I'm going to do it...just hope I don't get shot at...lol :) Next time you're in this area give Civilman and I a shout, maybe we could get some hunting in. Thanks for the advice and HH!

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

xmarks73 said:
I feel your pain on this issue. I use to drive up, stop and pull away.
Yep, I've done that before :laughing7:. It would be easier if someone was already outside. Thanks for the advice and HH!

OP
OP
M

MiniMe

jeff of pa said:
Don't be the first one to bring up
signing contracts or waivers.
unless they ask for one.
if they use liability as a reason not,
explain to them, you are one of
those people who feel you could never
blame somone else for your mistakes.
you can at that point mention
you would be willing to sign a waiver if necessary.

Speaking of Waivers, anyone have any examples of one. I'd like to have one on hand in case it is ever brought up when asking permission. Thanks

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MiniMe said:
crazyjarhead said:

:laughing7: My point exactly. I drool every day over the places that I pass by every day. I do live in a great area, but getting up the nerve to ask is my problem. But I'm going to do it...just hope I don't get shot at...lol :) Next time you're in this area give Civilman and I a shout, maybe we could get some hunting in. Thanks for the advice and HH!

Yep, understand. I do the same thing sometimes. Drive by a place and can't seem to get up the nerve to ask. Then , finally I do it. You don't know until you ask. Yhanks for the invetation too :coffee2:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the abandoned places contact your local courthouse they will give you owners name, it is public information who owns things. In my county there is a website I just look things up. But if I can't find it, I just call the court house and they give me the owners info.

I knock doors all the time, I just introduce myself, tell them I have a hobby of detecting and just say would you mind if I detected your yard? Mostly I get get years, sometimes no.....but like stated above, be ready to hunt then and there. I never ask if I can hunt the next day or next week. That gives them time to change their mind. If they say yes, hunt right then and there!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MiniMe said:
crazyjarhead said:

My opinion

I Never Knock at a door.
unless I Have a Name to Drop
or a Neighors House to point at.

I always wait till I see them outside doing work.

Walk up & excuse yourslf & Apologize
for Distracting them, Then
Introduce yourself & Get to the Point.

I don't like strangers selling Themselves
or anything else When I'm busy Inside.
they better be Pretty & Female,
or at least in distress.
I Don't answer doors for Suits
Or Pamphlet Carriers.

I Don't mind somone destracting me when
I'm working outside :tongue3:

I Don't return Mail
& I Hang up on Strangers Calling me,
after I'm done Swearing at them.

I Would expect the same

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
My opinion

I Never Knock at a door.
unless I Have a Name to Drop
or a Neighors House to point at.

I always wait till I see them outside doing work.

Walk up & excuse yourslf & Apologize
for Distracting them, Then
Introduce yourself & Get to the Point.

I don't like strangers selling Themselves
or anything else When I'm busy Inside.
they better be Pretty & Female,
or at least in distress.
I Don't answer doors for Suits
Or Pamphlet Carriers.

I Don't mind somone destracting me when
I'm working outside :tongue3:

I Don't return Mail
& I Hang up on Strangers Calling me,
after I'm done Swearing at them.

I Would expect the same
wow if I went by this I wouldn't get permission anywhere...lol

rarely do I ever see anyone outside, if I do, I will stop, but I'd guess to say 99% of the places I get permission, I knocked on the door. And I am not pretty or female..lol

But I am honest, tell them what I am looking to do, and that is why I have good sucess knocking doors

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
Most of what I have read here about asking for permission is good advice. I was a rural letter carrier for many years and watched them tare down many old farm houses and schools.

Now I knew about everyone on that route that covered 99 miles a day and I asked many of them to hunt some of these torn down properties. Most said go ahead but there were those that even though I knew them they still refused. I never let it bother me it's their property, besides I found plenty on the ones I did get permission for.

As far as finding out who owns the property your interested in, the county the property is in puts out a Plat Map every year and it will tell you who owns each and every piece of rural property in the county.

Good luck and have fun, that's what it's about. Rick

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My question would be regarding anything you find. Is the owner expected to let you have something of value that you dig? Do you come to an understanding with the property owner ahead of time on who gets what? I would expect the owner to be more inclined to say "yes" if they might expect something in return for letting you hunt.

As you can tell, I have not approached any owner's yet..........I have a permit from my city to hunt the parks and that is where I have hunted, except for a good friend's yard.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
My question would be regarding anything you find. Is the owner expected to let you have something of value that you dig? Do you come to an understanding with the property owner ahead of time on who gets what? I would expect the owner to be more inclined to say "yes" if they might expect something in return for letting you hunt.

As you can tell, I have not approached any owner's yet..........I have a permit from my city to hunt the parks and that is where I have hunted, except for a good friend's yard.

Case by Case Everyone is Different.

I Have had some say They just want to see what I Found
I Have had some who didn't even want to see.

I Had one who carried all the coins in his house
& throw them in the Change jar but let me have the
aluminum & other trash :tongue3:

Most will say "If you find any Gold We split"
or "It's Mine" But say it with a :tongue3: :laughing7:

& Don't even ask what I Found after :dontknow:

I Try not to Discuss Ownership of finds With Owners
Unless I Get the hint 50/50 will Get a Yes.
Never had any insist on 50% after this agreement though.

I Also try not to say "IF I Find something of Personal
Value it's yours" unless necessary also.

But have tried to hand over such items on occasion
as a surprise.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember I will ask the owner if they or anyone in their family lost anything important to them like a ring etc....if they did I ask them to show me approx. where it was lost and I look for it first. If they say no they did not loose anything I just start hunting in the front yard. MOST owners don't even ask to see what i find, some are curious, but I think most people ASSUME there is nothing to be be found and never even come back out to talk to me. I have had excellent luck knocking doors and getting permission in my area and will continue to do so. I have enough old houses in my area to keep me busy for yrs.

I'd say 98% of my finds come from private yards. If I am rushed for time and only have like 2 hrs to hunt I will hit a school yard or park, but private yards are my spot of choice when time allows.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know its coming but I have yet to get a "no"........When I knock on a door or ring the door bell, I will step back from the door as not to croud them......I always smile even before they open the door(they could be watching through a pep hole or window......when they open the door, I smile and introduce myself and soon tell them I have a hobby of finding lost coins using a "coin detector".. sounds better than metal detector...lol...when I ask for permission I will nod my head in a yes motion(dont over do it)gets them in a yes mood.......never use the word "treasure, gold or silver"......so far this approach has worked.... Some have asked me what all I have found with that thing(md)and I always name some of the lesser finds as not to get the expectations high.........

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
m bryan said:
I know its coming but I have yet to get a "no"........When I knock on a door or ring the door bell, I will step back from the door as not to croud them......I always smile even before they open the door(they could be watching through a pep hole or window......when they open the door, I smile and introduce myself and soon tell them I have a hobby of finding lost coins using a "coin detector".. sounds better than metal detector...lol...when I ask for permission I will nod my head in a yes motion(dont over do it)gets them in a yes mood.......never use the word "treasure, gold or silver"......so far this approach has worked.... Some have asked me what all I have found with that thing(md)and I always name some of the lesser finds as not to get the expectations high.........

Sounds like a great method.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread