Rough Looking Pennies

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:dontknow: I was wondering if any of you that find pennies primarily in sand/saltwater or harsher climates tend to notice the pennies you find being a bit detoriated especially once you clean them up (if you bother that is)? Like edges missing small chunks, tiny holes in coin, etc. Could it be the elements I found the coins in or the process of cleaning the coins that are burning these zincolns up?
I pretty much use a tumbler with beach sand, lemon juice, and a dab of dish liquid which works awesome for all the coin cleaning but could that be the culprit that is making Mr. Lincoln scream...lol ? ;D

Thanks, Bobby

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not just the salt water I find them in dirt and fresh water the same Way Its the Zinc in them that is dissolving away Chug

I have a bag full of them >:( >:( >:(

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
It doesn't matter what kind of soil your digging them out of or what you are using to clean your Zincolns. They just like everything else in America today they are designed to be cheaply replaced not repaired.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the bank exchange these ate up coins? How about if they were inside a roll? ::) I mean, they are still recognizable as pennies.......they should remain legal tender, right?

beep-beep

Jan 14, 2010
North Carolina , Bertie
Detector(s) used
BH-Quick Silver,Ace 250,BH pinpointer and the DetectorPRO Pistol PROBE
At my bank coins have to be good enough to put back in circulation. Any dull looking clad or cents that are not round and with hunks missing, they will not take.
They told me they had to put the coins in a bag to be picked up and if she gave me, money from her draw it would come up short. Also, if you send coins with hunks missing back for replacement you do not get face value.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put all my change in a jar and take them to the bank. I have had pennies with holesin them some with cuts in them and even some that has been bent some, I even had some that had quartz likestuff growing on thm. The bank has a counter and they dump them all in to it. If it dosn't get kicked out they take it. This year I only got 2 back. And bot of them had about a 1/3 of it cut off. So if I was you put them in with the rest of your clad and turn it into the bank. Never know until you try....Matt

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
I don't know about your area but here in central IL. a lot of the grocery stores have machines that except change and give you cash for them. If you have any of them in your area mix your Zincolns in with some other change and see what happens. Rick

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rockin Chairs Gold said:
I don't know about your area but here in central IL. a lot of the grocery stores have machines that except change and give you cash for them. If you have any of them in your area mix your Zincolns in with some other change and see what happens. Rick

Yeah, I have seen such machines in the grocery stores. I have also seen the sign on the front that it keeps 9% or MORE! No way am I going to pay those rates....I don't think 10% of my clad is bad and most all of them are Zincolns.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Roland58 said:
Rockin Chairs Gold said:

Yeah, I have seen such machines in the grocery stores. I have also seen the sign on the front that it keeps 9% or MORE! No way am I going to pay those rates....I don't think 10% of my clad is bad and most all of them are Zincolns.

Found out today what you mean about the fee for turning coins into those machines. I was in a Walmart and it had one of those machines. I looked all over the machine for a notice of a fee but could not find one. My wife finally pushed the start button and up popped a notice of a fee charge (it did not give the fee cost and I didn't go any further) Right next to it was a charity donation button that did not charge a fee.

I have never used one of these machines as I take all my cleaned clad coins and turn them in at my bank. I clean all my copper coins and am saving them in a very large jar (just in case some day they take the penny out of circulation and make it legal to turn them in for the copper content).
My Zincolns if they are in good enough condition to take to the bank I turn in with my clad, other wise I throw them away.

I clean all my clad and pennies in my rock tumbler (not together) using aquarium rock a little dish soap and just enough water to cover everything. I tumble them over night and most come out looking just like your pocket change. I never clean silver or otherwise collectable coins this way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread