Caribbean Vacation - U.S. Customs

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years back some poor smuck crossed the border from Canada with quite a few gold coins. He did NOT declare them. Of course, Customs discovered them and the penalty was confiscation. The sad irony was all he had to due was declare them and he would have kept them.

Harry(PA)

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
I took a cruise and upon returning we went through customs and all we did was fill out forms.

I do know the shop owners shipped your booze home and you paid a fee there.

If YOU mail something they can open it and keep it.

If it fits wear the jewels.

either way it is a gamble. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just put it in my luggage or carry on....You didn't buy them you found them.......I wouldn't even declare them, you have your detector to prove how you came by them.......

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't know how it is with the border customs on ships or planes, verses autos, but with Autos (like at Tijuana or Jaurez, for instance), you just drive right through. The few random cars they pull aside to search, trust me, they're looking for drugs, not a few gold rings or gold coins. Now I suppose if you had your entire back of your SUV filled with gold bars ........... there might be an issue. But other than that, they're looking for illegal immigrants, drugs, etc....

Not sure why ships or planes would be any different. I mean ......... is someone really going through your underwear bag, shaving kit, etc... looking for a few rings? I mean, didn't your wife bring several different ones, for each night of the week, when she came there in the first place? ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
The few random cars they pull aside to search, trust me, they're looking for drugs, not a few gold rings or gold coins. Now I suppose if you had your entire back of your SUV filled with gold bars ........... there might be an issue. But other than that, they're looking for illegal immigrants, drugs, etc....

Not sure why ships or planes would be any different. I mean ......... is someone really going through your underwear bag, shaving kit, etc... looking for a few rings? I mean, didn't your wife bring several different ones, for each night of the week, when she came there in the first place? ???

If i had a suv full of gold bars, I would be headed to a bank off shore, not back to the states.....LOL

I have been through several customs for reentering the country, mainly from cruise and return trips from Philippines, just filled out and declared what I bought, no big deal. Wife has 10 fingers, that covers 10 rings just there.....LOL, I can account for another 8 easily too...LOL.

I would just carry them in, no big deal......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread