Any one ever try this, and if so success rate

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Have been interested in hunting the yards of many old homes in the area that are still occupied. Was thinking of approaching the home owner(s) and offer to detect on there land and offer a percentage split of whatever was found. Split to be negotiated. Read somewhere that this is a common practice for relic hunting on big fields as a way to get permission and was wondering if anyone tried it in a more residential setting. tks.

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
I've never done this but have heard of people offer a pertenage as a last resort to hunt a property. Myself I wouldn't if they say no I would just move on. If they do let you hunt their property give them a coin or something as a thankyou just my .o2
Good Luck
HH-drewan

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over 90% of my hunting Is done by knocking on peoples doors and asking to detect. Never have I ever offered a split or percentage and never has a homeowner asked for such a deal before I started detecting their yard. Most people don't care about a few wheat pennies, or a silver dime or two. If you offer a split immediately they assume you are going to find something of value. When many times all u may find is some clad and a Few old coins, hardly worth splitting up.

I just knock, introduce myself, explain a bit about my hobby, then ask "may I detect your yard"

I average about 8 out of 10 people saying yes. Most people in my area are laid back, friendly and just don't mind if I detect their property.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I offer to share my finds in every yard I hunt. The city I live in is a civil war battlefield and yards are great places to hunt. It shows that you are a straight up guy I think. Most people do not want what you find but some enjoy having some relics or history from where they live from their yard. Bottom line it may give you a place to hunt and you will get relics that you would not have gotten.
Why would you not offer to share with the person that owns the land? I do the same on anyones land. Never hurts to offer and it seems to keep a friendly door open to coming back.
Just the way I do it and I get permission a lot.
Good luck :icon_sunny:
TnMtns

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On vacant homes I've offered to cut the grass for the owner. Most are very happy with that deal and it makes for better metal detecting.

I would not offer a split unless it is asked for.

NJ

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have a mild case of COPD from years of smoking and am a little overweight from quitting so I tell the truth when I ask for permission. I tell them my doc wants me to get out and get some exercise & my wife threatened to shoot me if I don't go "find something to do" and so have taken up metal detecting. It almost always works and it's absolutely true. Anyone who is doing it expecting to find large amounts of valuable stuff that would make a split agreement an issue is fooling themselves. Unless you have specifc information about a possible cache or something of that nature you should expect to be able to keep everything you find. But.. if you have an exceptionally great day on private property the gift of a couple silver coins will ensure that you are allowed to come back.

K

Kentucky Kache

Goes4ever said:
Over 90% of my hunting Is done by knocking on peoples doors and asking to detect. Never have I ever offered a split or percentage and never has a homeowner asked for such a deal before I started detecting their yard. Most people don't care about a few wheat pennies, or a silver dime or two. If you offer a split immediately they assume you are going to find something of value. When many times all u may find is some clad and a Few old coins, hardly worth splitting up.

I just knock, introduce myself, explain a bit about my hobby, then ask "may I detect your yard"

I average about 8 out of 10 people saying yes. Most people in my area are laid back, friendly and just don't mind if I detect their property.

I agree with this. If you offer a percentage, you are telling them there is a good chance that something of value is on their property. Would you let some stranger stop by and dig up valuables from your yard for half? I wouldn't. But if you keep things more on the hobby level, you just might get to detect.

Now if the person asks you for a share, then go for it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I go with a 50/50 offer. If you just ask to take things from their yard, they feel cheated. If you offer 50/50 they feel you are honest and fair. Then there's the greed factor, if they think there is something valuable there they want it. Do you find stuff? Oh yes!

Attachments

• ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 286
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 329
  • oil tags 700-.jpg
    oil tags 700-.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 334
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 290
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 328
  • oil tags 700-.jpg
    oil tags 700-.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 322

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I have never had one single home owner ask for a single item, and when I show them the finds, most say I earned what I found and they would dream of asking for it, I have offered things to a lot of people and almost every single person has refused, so I am sorry they DO NOT feel cheated. That may just be your opinion.

K

Kentucky Kache

Frankn said:
I go with a 50/50 offer. If you just ask to take things from their yard, they feel cheated. If you offer 50/50 they feel you are honest and fair. Then there's the greed factor, if they think there is something valuable there they want it. Do you find stuff? Oh yes!

That's why you keep it on the hobby level. A lot of people who wouldn't want a "treasure hunter" on their property, won't mind so much for a hobbyist to do a little detecting. But if you make them think that riches are around, you might not be too welcome.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Kentuckey, When that lady showed pictures of that 3 ct. ruby ring found on her property I started to get requests to do yards and that is a 200 year old area in town.

K

Kentucky Kache

Frankn said:
Kentuckey, When that lady showed pictures of that 3 ct. ruby ring found on her property I started to get requests to do yards and that is a 200 year old area in town.

I'm not saying you can't make it as a cache hunter, or as a hunter of big ticket items, but as far as metal detecting goes, and with the average property owner, I think it best to go at it as a hobbyist. Cache hunting is a different animal.

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Great responses. Thank you all. Gave me a starting point. Think I will start out by "playing it by ear" with the people I encounter. Good Hunting to ya.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell them that I am retired and that metal detecting is just my hobby. I explain that I rarely ever find anything of great value but if I do I will photograph it and let them keep it. No one has ever asked to keep anything yet even though I have found several rings. The most important thing I think is to look presentable and clean even though you may not look that way when you finish up. If you go up to someone looking like a bum you will be treated as a bum. Monty

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Goes4ever said:

exactly :thumbsup:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I always tell them that I am retired and that metal detecting is just my hobby. I explain that I rarely ever find anything of great value but if I do I will photograph it and let them keep it. No one has ever asked to keep anything yet even though I have found several rings. The most important thing I think is to look presentable and clean even though you may not look that way when you finish up. If you go up to someone looking like a bum you will be treated as a bum. Monty
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread