Taking names off of old maps – I’m looking for help

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m asking for assistance.
I have a large map collection and have been scanning and posting the maps on my website.
There is no charge to use the maps. You don’t need to register, they are just out there for all to use. The site has been up for about 6 years now.

But now I’m trying to make the maps even more useful. Some of them are very detailed with people’s names, placenames, parks, schools, cemeteries, etc. I’m embarking on a project take every name and site off the maps and enter them into a database which can be searched. Again – all for research purposes with unbound access. The search function will show the exact location of the person’s name, or place, etc on the old map.

I’ve tried using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software but it only gets about 5% of the names. A human needs to read and type each name into the database.

I’ve written a program which makes it easier to read and enter the names, but it is too much work for one person to enter them.
Plus I’m still spending time scanning and uploading more old maps.

If anyone can help, I’d appreciate it. I’ve included a sample link to the program which would be used to enter the data below.

I’d guess it takes about an hour to do one map, and I have at least 500 maps with great detailed information.

Here’s how the program would work. Try it if you like – the data is for testing only:

http://menotomymaps.com/enter_names_on_map.asp

Vin – MenotomyMaps.com

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vin I have done a similar database with Colorado placenames. 47,478 Colorado placenames in my database.

First you need to download the State GIS survey place names into your spreadsheet or database. This will give you all placenames ever used on State maps and USGS survey sheets.

Now with those placenames you need to merge another USGS file that has Lat-Longitude, altitude, etc to get all the info you can into a single database.

If your map has an index then you can scan and OCR it. Compare and match placenames to build your data.

With older maps you have to enter each name into the database. Most of those will probably match the database you've built so maybe you can search name by name is that is easier.

Option:
If your budget can handle it, buy a handheld pen-scanner. It works like a pencil and you scan it over each map name. It will automatically enter the name as text into your file. Might save some time. Here is the basic data in my database:

FEATURE_ID 193663
FEATURE_CLASS Locale
FEATURE_NAME 7 L Bar Ranch
STATE_ALPHA CO
STATE_NUMERIC 8
COUNTY_NAME El Paso
COUNTY_NUMERIC 41
PRIMARY_LAT_DMS 383635N
PRIMARY_LONG_DMS 1044035W
PRIMARY_LAT_DEC 38.6097201
PRIMARY_LONG_DEC -104.6763615
SOURCE_LAT_DMS 0
SOURCE_LONG_DMS 0
SOURCE_LAT_DEC 0
SOURCE_LONG_DEC 0
ELEVATION 1637 (feet)
MAP_NAME Buttes (USGS Map name)

In addition to that, if you try http://mapper.acme.com/, you can easily enter the Lat/Longitude and get a Google Earth map. It's free and easier to navigate than Google Earth.

Whew. That's it. Hope that gives you a starting point for your project. :)
BB

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
menotomymaps said:
Here's where I am so far. I still have to write a 'query engine', but this shows the first 1,000 records out of a planned 200,000+. http://menotomymaps.com/query_names.asp

Good start. I like it and have your fine site bookmarked on my Mapping sites. I see you have a lot of really interesting categories. :)
BB

OP
OP
menotomymaps

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at 2300 records now.
You put an ad on craiglsit for 'data entry' and you get a lot of takers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread