Amazing At How Many Coins Have Been Dropped Over The Years

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:wink: It will always amaze me how much U.S. currency is carelessly dropped, thrown, lost on and in the ground right beneath our very feet.
I wonder what is the average coin count that a treasure hunter will find over his or her lifespan? (Common clad, silver, gold,etc) It baffles me at how much change/coins and other relics we walk across each and every day :tongue3:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well right now I have been lucky enough to find just over a $100 every year for the last 5 years. I just need to get out more and then I would find more of it. But I really love finding the gold and silver jewerly that is lost.....Matt

F

Felinepeachy

What amazes me is how many coins we all find every year. I wonder how much that adds up to? :dontknow:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a TV show a few years back that was talking about this, how many coins ,or money was dropped ever day. I do not remember the amount but it was staggering what the amount was, it was rated in Tons per day. I wish I could remember the exact amount that was said but it was a lot that is for sure. This was in the U.S also , so not counting other Country's amounts .

And the most lost coin was the quarter , that does not seem right to me, I would have said the penny or dime.
I am going to see if I can look up and find that show as it was full of data on things like this.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one little fun fact for ya-

$58 million "lost" every year - Virgin Atlantic Airways discovered that it takes in an average of 18 cents per passenger per flight in loose change found in the plane's seats. If that figure holds for the approximate 320 million people who fly from one country to another worldwide each year, the total is about $58 million. Lost coins on domestic flights don't amount to much, however. Chicago O'Hare cleaning crews said they found only about 6 cents per flight. It is suggested that more travelers to other countries "accidentally" leave foreign coins behind to avoid dealing with them once they get home

and

There is approximately $8 billion worth of coins circulating in the US today. The U.S. Mint produces nearly 30 billion coins for general circulation each year

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just imagine the number of coins minted over the years , but yet all the ones we see in circulation are just a few years old. Where's the rest? most are in the ground, either accidently or on purpose.

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As long as I'm out hunting there will be plenty left for everyone... GUARANTEED!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far this year, yes I have been lucky with the weather $18.98 Chug aprox 1/3rd of it is pennies!!!

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
I always think, when I'm hunting old homes and lots, " If you could only screen every inch of ground down a few feet!!" Man, how cool would that be! I'm sure that most of the pre twentieth century stuff is just barely out of reach of most detectors, I mean, you know there's got to be goodies under your feet, but with no signal we'll never know!! Most of us just " Scratch the surface" Literally!

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Toby1858 said:
I always think, when I'm hunting old homes and lots, " If you could only screen every inch of ground down a few feet!!" Man, how cool would that be! I'm sure that most of the pre twentieth century stuff is just barely out of reach of most detectors, I mean, you know there's got to be goodies under your feet, but with no signal we'll never know!! Most of us just " Scratch the surface" Literally!

I know. I recently saw where a guy had access to heavy equipment that he could use for his own personal use during off time hours from his employment. He was offering to treasure hunters his service and equipment to do some major digging and he would split the finds with you. :laughing7: Not a bad idea, but who has hunt sites that they can just bring in heavy equipment and start moving some serious earth? :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
You think you have fun? We Brit's and Europeans can dig a Roman coin from 2000 years ago (the Romans seemed to have dropped or buried every coin they were paid.How they ever bought anything is beyond me lol!) and a few yards later a pound coin from last week. There's a LOT of years inbetween..it's a wonder Britain doesn't sink from the weight of all the lost coins and goodies! :laughing9:
A guy was saying last week how he sold 20 years worth of gold rings found by a detectorist friend who had just died.(He was selling them for the guys family). they sold for £4,500 - $7,300 and that's just one guy, Imagine adding up and selling all the gold found from every member just on this site? :o

(Disclaimer: For those who don't like me much, that first part ISN'T bragging...it's just how it is! So don't make a big issue of it please.) :wink:

snake pit

Dec 15, 2009
kentucky
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:wink: It will always amaze me how much U.S. currency is carelessly dropped, thrown, lost on and in the ground right beneath our very feet.
I wonder what is the average coin count that a treasure hunter will find over his or her lifespan? (Common clad, silver, gold,etc) It baffles me at how much change/coins and other relics we walk across each and every day :tongue3:

i have metal detected one spot and found 195 coins total. So far..... :headbang:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And most of us are guilty of dropping our fair share for someone else :thumbsup:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate dropping money or sucking it up with the vacuum...it goes agents all that i do owning a metal detector...made the kid tare up the vacuum bag out side...thought i sucked up a dime turned out to be a penny...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Dano, you have a persecution complex that is only partly deserved.

Let's look on the other side of this topic. Have you ever thought about how this money is lost? It's mostly the guys that are loosing this change. It's the design of the male pants pocket. Take a close look. Sit down on a bench and observe the pocket. It's like a coal chute. The back of the pocket is angled down. when I sit down outside I always put my hand in the change pocket and kind of push it back to change that angle. I don't have that problem with jeans because I always look for jeans with deep pockets. Just my thoughts on the subject. You know me I try not to follow. Its more fun to think.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
As of sunday, there is 55 cents less in the ground. 1 quarter, 2 dimes and 10 pennies. So don't throw away your detectors yet.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a playground where I detect every couple of years. Each time I get back there I find over a 100 coins each time. Sure most is pennies but still it all adds up.....Matt

acefish64

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2007
Think about this some when in the zone detecting, amateur guess for the U.S. high hundreds of millions, low billions. Live on a 1920's 5,000 Sq. Ft. Residential lot, 139 coins and counting. Need a magnet that will suck em out of the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread