Please recommend a nice entry level metal detector for me

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab xterra 305.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
I have used bounty hunter, compass, fisher,whites, tesoro...currently have a white M6. and a BH lone star. (Still have my compass from 1972) the whites M6 is a primary machine and BH back up the M6 is quite hard to learn,,, for me.. I have been thinking of buying garrett 350 ace,, check out the lost treasure magazine field test for the 350 ace it seems to be a great detector to learn and keep. read all you can,, and talk to knowledgeble dealers. dont be too rushed just because they offer you a GREAT deal. set a date in the future to buy. and do as much reseach as possible until that date. good luck to you

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ace 250 or Fisher F2. I highly recommend the F2! I have several great packages on them. Feel free to ask any contact me for questions. Thanks! Bart

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Extras Department. Get a collecting pouch for your belt (large enough to haul out ALL of the TRASH you collect - at least to trash barrel), Pinpointer (even cheapo Centek probe version or stud finder will work OK $15), and digging tool (Home Depot - Fiskars Fibre trowell or metal garden department version). For beach hunting get reasonable sand scoop -- stick with dry sand above low tide line until you get used to detector (turn off the discrimination - hunt all-metal-mode and dig everything). Take a camera and send pictures -- couple months and if you are lucky, couple diamond rings later you should be able to buy professional level rig. Think Sovereign GT, Excal, V3, class machines.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
teknetics DELTA ($279) - 0 to 99 numbers machine with a all metal mode and a disc mode --starts up in disc mode --its notchible by sections as well

very light weight & uses 1 - 9 volt battery

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
Ace 250 is the best detector for a beginner, my wife loves hers and she is as green as they get when it comes to detecting.
BUUUUUT she also finds more rings, chains, etc than i ever have even with my 2500, i guess gold is gold but i like the nuggets lmao

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend that you look at the Tesoro detectors , they are very good machines and have a lifetime warranty .
You can get a very good machine that will stand with most out and not have to pay a lot of money .

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are all of yous talking about!!!White's Coin Master Is what it's about.you won't go wrong.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
liftloop said:
What are all of yous talking about!!!White's Coin Master Is what it's about.you won't go wrong.

Whites????? hahahahaha been there done that and it wasnt pretty

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beaks said:
liftloop said:

Whites????? hahahahaha been there done that and it wasn't pretty

It's better than the others detectors up the especially the ace 2fiddy can't be-leave garret made such a thing.and fisher they there just a sale out.tesoro that leaves you guess-n. White's all the way for the Price.

Dadsnorz

Dec 15, 2010
I know a lot of folks take a dim view of Bounty Hunter, but I love mine and use it pretty regularly. Regardless of
which machine you get, spend the time to learn it and do some research before you head out.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the newer bounty hunters are nothing like the old ones were -- they have updated themselves quite a bit.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would reccommend the Tesoro line of detectors. I have two and love them. There are several Tesoro dealers here on T-Net that can help you narrow down which model is right for you. Just my 2 cents.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By now, you can see that everybody has a different opinion. So what should you do? First, make a list of the type of detecting you would like to do (coin, relic, jewelry, prospecting, etc.). Then make a list of where you think you'll do your detecting. For example:
Dirty Money likes to hunt coins & relics. If some jewelry crops up fine, but he doesn't really spent a lot of time looking for it. Prospecting just isn't going to happen in his area. Why? Because, his detecting is done almost exclusively within his county. In fact, most of it is done in old city parks and lawns.

Once you have an idea of what and where, do some additional research on all the machines mentioned above. Then make a decision.

Oh...and once you've ordered your machine. Don't second guess yourself. Learn your machine inside and out. And above all, go out and have fun.

HH

Dave

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
Dirty Money said:
By now, you can see that everybody has a different opinion. So what should you do? First, make a list of the type of detecting you would like to do (coin, relic, jewelry, prospecting, etc.). Then make a list of where you think you'll do your detecting. For example:
Dirty Money likes to hunt coins & relics. If some jewelry crops up fine, but he doesn't really spent a lot of time looking for it. Prospecting just isn't going to happen in his area. Why? Because, his detecting is done almost exclusively within his county. In fact, most of it is done in old city parks and lawns.

Once you have an idea of what and where, do some additional research on all the machines mentioned above. Then make a decision.

Oh...and once you've ordered your machine. Don't second guess yourself. Learn your machine inside and out. And above all, go out and have fun.

HH

Dave

And remember dont get more than you need (dont spend a ton of cash)when you are starting out, save your money for when you know a little more and really know what you want.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skydog said:
I realize this is a very subjective open question. I've wanted to get into treasure hunting for some time now and will primarily be scouring old school yards, beaches etc for jewelry/coins. Appreciate any help. Say around $300 if that's reasonable?

Some GREAT suggestions in here. Let me know when you are ready and I'll be happy to help you find the one you want at Kellyco.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread