Greenie
Mar 23, 2011
Hendersonville, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dimetime

Greenie
Mar 23, 2011
if your new ,buy a metal detector between 80 and 120 dollars,save enough clad you find with that machine and in 2 months buy a 5 hundred dollar one,when you cash in all your clad and silver and with the extra money buy headphones!how that sound!

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a GTI 2500. I have detected since 1969 and it's the best I have ever used. (only had four) The learning curve is moderatly long, and it is heavy. Depth indication is right on. Target size is a very desireable feature.
I suggest that before you pop down that much coin, you borrow one or get a 2-300 hundred dollar one. If you get hooked, you can always keep it for a spare/loaner and buy up. I will always have at least two machines with me when I am out. I am especially adapt at handing my spare to the cop or maintaince man. It's like putting a pacifier in a baby's mouth. It shuts them up and keeps them busy. Best wishes in whatever you do.

diggitdawg

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2008
i agree with kenley, first find out if you are going to enjoy this hobby. you would be surprized at how many people read or hear a story about finding a gold and diamond ring and go crazy and they think that all it takes is a metal detector and a trip to the beach or park. very few are that lucky. i had no idea i was going to enjoy this as much as i do. my intro was totally different. my son bugged me to get him a metal detector so i went to big five and they had a good (to my knowledge then) one for 149.00 he was so happy he used it like three times had a pretty good collection of pop tops and bottle caps going before it went into the closet for a couple of years. one day i decided to give it a shot and the rest is history (like that detector) now i have spent thousands on gold detectors, beach machines, coils ,accesories blah blah blah. but i use them every chance i get. i have good days and days like this morning when i thought my machine was broken untill i threw down my own quarter to check lol. but really i love the thrill of the hunt and being outdoors so for me its worth every penny. (this morning i ordered a coil that cost almost twice what i paid for that first detector. and cant wait to go to one of the club claims and find that gold nugget that will pay for it all and then some lol. good luck to you all out there.

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2500 is pretty much garrett top of the line a very good machine.To me a little heavy but the main thing is getting to know the machine reguardless of the one choose. you can ask 10 people and get 10 differant answers.

OP
OP
F

fuma1986

Greenie
Mar 23, 2011
Hendersonville, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all of the advice. I think I will get a cheaper garrett for now and then towards the end of the summer get the 2500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread