New in Texas

paleomann

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2011
Weatherford, Texas
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000, lonestar bounty hunter
So I'm new to metal detection not treasure hunting, since I have always had a passion for finding things. I have spent many years finding fossils and Native artifacts but just bought a detector about a month ago. So don't laugh I know that an upgrade is in my near future but this was a bit of a test to see if i was that interested before i spent 500 $ or more, I have a Lonestar Bounty Hunter. But I just found a silver bracelet yesterday and lots of coin just nothing of real value. I'm looking for advice and someone near me that may be interested in showing me the ropes so to speak.... I'm in Weatherford Texas and may offer a resource of old places since I have been surveying in the area for nearly 30 years. Thanks for any advice :notworthy:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and hobby. Don't worry about your detector as we all had to start somewhere. I wouldn't be giving away any places to detect just yet as your going to want to hunt there. Just get out every chance you can, make the ground look like nobody has dug it up when you leave. Take out your trash as ya don't wanna dig it up again.
Read all you can about the hobby. Garrett has out many books.
good luck,
Sandman

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Welcome Paleoman!

Pretty much what Sandman said about it. Truth is you gotta be tight lipped with your spots or folks will detect them behind your back.

Not all folks of course and maybe not most of them, but save yourself some grief and just share with a trusted circle of friends when you feel comfortable with sharing.

All detectors will give false readings, learn yours so you will know what information it's telling you.

For sure dig everything for the first 50 or so hours, leave the place even in the woods or pasture looking untouched (it takes practice, but you can do it) and take off the trash.

Good luck and Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread