Underbrush

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
match and gasoline,on a rainy day.

Bobby Bridge

Jun 17, 2010
Center Line M I
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tx__ There are some tricks, and it might take two people...If everything is a kinda grass land, you can bring out a 4'x 8' sheet OSB or ply wood with a 2'x2' hole cut in the center. Lay your sheet to press down on the grass and meatel detect over it. When you get a hit you can place the hole that you cut over the hit spot and dig.
Hope this can be help!
Bobby.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here in Alabama where I'm spending the Winter it seems like every square inch of remote woods is so infested with Kudzu you can't even see 5 feet into the woods let alone walk in. I thought coming down here where there was some Civil War action would be fun but I'm really looking forward to going home to NH. No offense to my southern friends.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tx2tn said:
Here in NE Tennessee, level ground that is cleared is RARE to say the least. I'm thinking of buying a small gasoline trimmer. How do y'all deal with underbrush?

I bought one a couple years ago that is more for brush than weeds. It's a straight-shaft Troy Built.
BUT.....it's almost as bad as a weedwacker in high grass.
Trying to cut through high weeds like wild blackberry or goldenrod, they are just as apt to wrap around the shaft and choke it out, forcing you to stop constantly and pull off the coiled mass.

What I did was modify a lawn mower into a brush hog. I had a cheap, lightweight mower that I cut the front out between the wheels so about an inch of the blade was exposed and cut a large discharge chute on the opposite side of the original side so there wasn't any kind of baffle to stop the discharge.

I was easily able to go through a stand of fully grown cat-tails, in about 2" of water, without it choking out. Worked better than I ever dreamed it would.
It looks like a wicked machine and can be dangerous with the exposed blade, but extreme care when using it and off you go.
Oh...and wear safety glasses too. Some stuff does fly back on occasion but not really much of a problem.
Just make sure you don't cut too much front out and lose the integrity of the support of the engine. I had front wheels bowed slightly but it didn't stop the beast from doing it's job.

Al

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cleared out a high weed area with my Troy-Bilt straight-line trimmer by 'hopping' it through the weeds which is the recommended method. By 'hopping' the trimmer you are moving the trimmer head in a vertical up-down pattern instead of the typical horizontal pattern which virtually eliminates 'wrap-around'.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
NHBandit said:
Here in Alabama where I'm spending the Winter it seems like every square inch of remote woods is so infested with Kudzu you can't even see 5 feet into the woods let alone walk in. I thought coming down here where there was some Civil War action would be fun but I'm really looking forward to going home to NH. No offense to my southern friends.

It used to be my job to kill kudzu for the railroad in MS. that stuff is a nightmare. I have seen it completely engulf buildings and trees. They actually brought to the US, from Japan I believe, to stop erosion. They had no Idea it would be as big a problem as it has become. I'm glad it hasn't gotten this far north.

HH Charlie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread