Percussion cap

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were/are copper. Here are a couple pics of older dug ones.

Attachments

• percussion cap.jpg
    percussion cap.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 290
  • percussion cap 2.jpg
    percussion cap 2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 390
OP
OP
N

neuseman

Mar 11, 2011
Beaufort NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Omega 8000
What types of guns were these used for? Were the bullets actually connected to the cap and if not, what were they used for? Today I found 8 bullets and all of them are lead but one of them. Three of them actually hit something. One of them is hollow inside and is rusty. I dont know what it is made of. It is about 3/4 of an inch long and just a little bigger around than an ink pen.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bullets and caps are/were separate.

Percussion caps were used on handguns, rifles and shotguns during the early to mid 1800's.

I attached another photo of some newer produced caps.

See the attached photo of the revolver, the area within the red circles is where the percussion cap would be placed, those are called nipples.

A powder charger would be poured into each chamber from the face (front) of the cylinder. Then a bullet was placed in the chamber and pressed into place, usually with a rod that is attached to the gun. The cap placed on the nipple and you are ready to shoot.

Cock the hammer and pull the trigger. The hammer would hit the percussion cap causing a small explosion within it. That would travel through a small hole into the chamber and ignite the powder charge. The result would be your projectile/bullet being fired. That is if all went right. Check out the little gif I found, its on a rifle but the idea is the same.

Without seeing your bullets I can only guess as to what you found. The "rusty" one could be lead with something adhered to it or it could be a newer bullet that is actually steel jacketed. If you can find a way of posting pics we can better determine what you found.

Attachments

• percussion caps new.JPG
    percussion caps new.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 381
  • perc revolver.JPG
    perc revolver.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,423
  • percussion.gif
    percussion.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 776

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread